Daycare.com Forum
1 2 3 

Daycare.com Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/index.php)
-   Daycare Center and Family Home Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Angry And Hurt Right Now (https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36213)

dEHmom 10-27-2011 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by Unregistered:
From the parent perspective, I get that you want to charge by the spot, but that "spot" I'm paying for had better darn well be available every single day if I want to use it for a few hours. It's not a matter of parents don't get it, it's a matter of I only want to pay for 3 days when that is what I need. I do not want to pay for 5 days when I'm not using all of them. I don't care if it's paying to save a spot or not.

Think of it this way...when you go buy a new book in your favorite series, would you like it if you had to buy the whole series just to get the new book? NO. It's a service, you say....well, say you take your car for an oil change that takes 20 mins, would you like the mechanic to say you have to pay for an hour of service because he only counts his "spots" by the hour, and not by what you actually need? NO Why is daycare the one place that thinks you need to pay for 5 days if you're only using 3 of them?

We understand that, AND the mechanic thing has already been touched on so I won't go there. It wasn't a great example.

IF you want drop in/casual care, some or most daycare will offer that, but you're taking a chance of not having care on the days you need. IF you want 3 days a week, you need to find a childcare center/home that offers that for you.

When you enroll in daycare, you are taking a spot whether you use it or not. More daycares would probably be willing to do drop in care if we weren't limited on numbers. But if every daycare could do this, I guarantee you the rates would double. For a casual I had, because some weeks she came 1 or 2 days, other weeks she came no days, her rate was 40/day. Normally my average rate is about 21/day. She didn't pay as much for full time, but she paid nearly a full time rate when she was here 3 days a week. If mom was sick one day, she brought her a different day. But mom was fully aware that if I had interesting in a full time spot, she would have to bump up to full time, or lose her spot.

awestbrook713 10-27-2011 08:04 AM

Country_kids: 3 yr old here 4 days a week during school year weekly rate is $100. I'm not charging for the 6 yr old during the school year unless she is here on holidays/school closings.

They will both be here in the summer 4- 10 hr days and the weekly rate will be $200 for the both of them.

small_steps 10-27-2011 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by awestbrook713:
Country_kids: 3 yr old here 4 days a week during school year weekly rate is $100. I'm not charging for the 6 yr old during the school year unless she is here on holidays/school closings.

They will both be here in the summer 4- 10 hr days and the weekly rate will be $200 for the both of them.

I think you're being very fair. If mom gives you trouble about it, like you said, you may be better off without them anyway. Good luck to you. I know its not easy having these "talks" with parents. I do not like confrontation so these are hard for me too but things like this have to be done. Let us know how it turns out.

melskids 10-27-2011 08:09 AM

1 Attachment(s)
if this doesnt work, PM me your email and I'll try to figure out how to email it to you...i'm not always very computer literate...lol

Attachment 678

dEHmom 10-27-2011 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by Catherder:
Minimum wage is $7.25hr.

$7.25 x 30 hours (3 days) = $217.50

More than TWICE what I get for 5 days. Full-Time

IMHO, Your point has NO validity.

wow, that's low minimum wage!

here minimum wage is 10.00 per hour!!!!! I average about 2.10/hr on a normal day. Then factor in my expenses such as food, crafts, water, hydro, etc. I get to write off a portion of my bills, but when you have 4 or 8 or 12 kids flushing toilets, that's a minimum of 1 flush every half hour.

So even a single mom working at mcdonalds here makes 5 times what I do. I realize that childcare is a big chunk out of a paycheque, but when you consider what you make per hour, and what I make per hour, I don't understand why it's such a big fuss.

awestbrook713 10-27-2011 08:13 AM

Small steps: Thanks, not sure when we are meeting still waiting for that detail. I'm supposed to have one of the girls today so maybe at pick up mom or dad will tell me. I will definately let you know how it goes.

Melskids: thanks printed it off and looks good!

Cat Herder 10-27-2011 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by dEHmom:
wow, that's low minimum wage!

here minimum wage is 10.00 per hour!!!!! I average about 2.10/hr on a normal day. Then factor in my expenses such as food, crafts, water, hydro, etc. I get to write off a portion of my bills, but when you have 4 or 8 or 12 kids flushing toilets, that's a minimum of 1 flush every half hour.

So even a single mom working at mcdonalds here makes 5 times what I do. I realize that childcare is a big chunk out of a paycheque, but when you consider what you make per hour, and what I make per hour, I don't understand why it's such a big fuss.

I agree... :Sunny:

I make enough to break even on my half of the household bills, put $200 in my IRA each month, and be home with my kids. :o

Being home with my kids IS my pay, IMHO. :cool:

I am not making a fortune, here. :p

Country Kids 10-27-2011 08:24 AM

Is there anywhere in the US that minimum wage is $10.00 an hour? I know ours is going to like 8.75 an hour and everyone is gripping about it because usually minumum wages are the only ones who seem to be getting raises anymore. It is taking me more and more children to make minimum wage but I can still only have 6!

Unregistered 10-27-2011 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Daycare is also the one service that parents pay for that they feel they have the most say in but pay the least for!

The hourly wage paid to childcare providers is so low that we are forced to charge for spaces, regardless of whether parents use them or not.

If you want to pay at least minimum wage for the 3 days you use then I would gladly only charge you for those 3 days.

Oh and FWIW, not sure about auto repair shops where you live but where I live auto mechanics charge by the hour too......even if it only takes 20 minutes to do the job, the rate is still hourly. Oil change places charge by the job.

Why should you get minimum wage from me when you also care for other kids?

Right, oil changes are charged by the job...my point was would you like it if they charged for a whole hour of work when it only takes them 20 min?

AnneCordelia 10-27-2011 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Why should you get minimum wage from me when you also care for other kids?

Right, oil changes are charged by the job...my point was would you like it if they charged for a whole hour of work when it only takes them 20 min?

The point is that if she can't fill her spots on ALL the days of the week then she won't be getting minimum wage even WITH the other children's fees.

Your point is moot because the guy who changes oil isn't limited to 5 oil changes per day. I am limited to 5 children per day. I have a parttimer right now who comes 3 days a week. It's the same three days every week so I charge only for those 3 days, as I can fill the other two days with drop-ins or someone who permanently needs those two remaining days. I know that he will never be here on those 2 days so I am free to fill them. However, if he came on different days every week then I would charge for every potential day he could come so that my income doesn't suffer for not being able to fill that spot on his 'off' days.

Cat Herder 10-27-2011 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Why should you get minimum wage from me when you also care for other kids?

I knew that was coming.

What does the money paid to me by other clients have to do with you?

I also have a part time job...does that mean they should get to pay me less?

I work 70 hours a week. Of course I should make more that you at 40.

awestbrook713 10-27-2011 08:55 AM

They still charge for the hour........

Unregistered 10-27-2011 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
You pay for 30 days (or 31 days) of cable even if you only watch your TV 20 of those days.

You pay for 30/31 days of water even if you go on vacation for 14 of those days.

If you need daycare the same 3 days, and only those three days each week, most people will charge for those three days--and try to fill the other two with another child. If you need 3 days per week, but they VARY (one week it's MWF, the next it's T,TH,F, etc), then the provider has the right to charge for all 5 days, because they can't predict WHICH 3 days you will need, and therefore can't fill the other two days...do you see?

(and FTR, you pay a mechanic a flat rate for an oil change...whether it takes 10 minutes or 55 minutes...so, the same principle on which daycares charge).

I pay for the water I use. If I go on vacation for 2 weeks, my water bill is less. If I water my garden, my bill is more. It would be great if the water bill was a flat fee. Cable is a subscription, just like a magazine. Daycare isn't a subscription.

I do get the rotating thing. I could see paying the weekly rate for a rotating schedule, as long as my spot is available whenever I need it. I was referring to only needing a specific 3 days that are the same all the time. I don't see where I should have to pay for the other 2 days then.

I know the oil change is a flat rate. My point was that you would not like it if that flat rate was based on his hourly rate if you knew it only takes 20 min to do the job. ie. If he charges $60 an hour, you wouldn't want to pay $60 for an oil change when it only takes him 20 min. You would want to pay the $20 that it's worth.

daycare 10-27-2011 08:57 AM

What a way to wake up. entertainment for the day already!!!

If only parents really knew what the break down was and that after all overhead is paid per child, I am making about $2.00-$3.00 an hour per child if that... I can only have 6 kids per my state LIC. and I have my own. So that means the most that I could make is $15.00 an hour....... For a TON of libality!!

Blackcat31 10-27-2011 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Why should you get minimum wage from me when you also care for other kids?

Because I am also working long hours, dealing with varying schedules, get no 15 minute breaks, or 1/2 hour lunches. You also do not pay me vacation time, sick time or give me standard yearly cost of living increases.

Also because I spend a good part of my day parenting the parent as well as the child. I go above and beyond a regular 40 hour work week to guarantee you that your child is safe and loved and nurtured AND educated while in my care. Because I take the time to snuggle with her, play with her and help her learn about the world around her.

But mostly because I do the least respected profession (yet most important after parenting) in the world and do it for the least amount of pay.

SilverSabre25 10-27-2011 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Why should you get minimum wage from me when you also care for other kids?

Right, oil changes are charged by the job...my point was would you like it if they charged for a whole hour of work when it only takes them 20 min?

I'm pretty sure that their rates are scaled to account for the number they can get done in an hour, and also take into account the cost of supplies (oil, etc) over and ABOVE what they "want" to get paid.

When I'm full (which I'm not) I make right around min wage per hour...assuming a 40 hour work week which mine is not--I work about 10 hr/day, 6 days/week and that doesn't count cleaning and planning done during off hours. First, we have to pay taxes--the same as you AND THEN SOME because we are self-employed--we pay the portion of the employer AS WELL AS the employee; we personally out of our income pay about double the taxes you do. But then we take out the cost of supplies, extra utilities, licensing fees, and the other costs associated with running a daycare. THEN we still have to pay all the same bills you do--the ones for our FAMILY not our JOB. Running a daycare is NOT a way to get rich, not in the slightest. I haven't done the math on what I "really" make...and I don't WANT to do the math.

Unregistered 10-27-2011 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by daycare:
What a way to wake up. entertainment for the day already!!!

If only parents really knew what the break down was and that after all overhead is paid per child, I am making about $2.00-$3.00 an hour per child if that... I can only have 6 kids per my state LIC. and I have my own. So that means the most that I could make is $15.00 an hour....... For a TON of libality!!

Entertainment indeed! LOL I'd love to make $15 an hour to stay home and play with kids. LOL

Blackcat31 10-27-2011 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I pay for the water I use. If I go on vacation for 2 weeks, my water bill is less. If I water my garden, my bill is more. It would be great if the water bill was a flat fee. Cable is a subscription, just like a magazine. Daycare isn't a subscription.

I do get the rotating thing. I could see paying the weekly rate for a rotating schedule, as long as my spot is available whenever I need it. I was referring to only needing a specific 3 days that are the same all the time. I don't see where I should have to pay for the other 2 days then.
I know the oil change is a flat rate. My point was that you would not like it if that flat rate was based on his hourly rate if you knew it only takes 20 min to do the job. ie. If he charges $60 an hour, you wouldn't want to pay $60 for an oil change when it only takes him 20 min. You would want to pay the $20 that it's worth.

I don't charge parents for the extra days IF they have a set 3 day a week schedule. If they have a rotating schedule and need access to the entire week just to accommodate their 3 days each week, then they have to pay for the whole week. In that situation, paying for the whole week gives them access to the whole week.

Blackcat31 10-27-2011 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Entertainment indeed! LOL I'd love to make $15 an hour to stay home and play with kids. LOL

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

seriously????

Country Kids 10-27-2011 09:06 AM

One year I remember after expenses and everything that they do with your taxes my final taxable amount for the year came out to like $1,000. I looked at my husband and said thats all I made? He explained everything out but still I thought after all my hard work that is all I'm worth? I know we get all the deductions and such but still it was a real eye opener.

SilverSabre25 10-27-2011 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Entertainment indeed! LOL I'd love to make $15 an hour to stay home and play with kids. LOL

I wish I could stay home and play with kids, too!!!

But with all the teaching, cleaning, diaper changing, supervising, cooking, cleaning, record keeping, cleaning, and supervising, I don't have time to play. My 4 year old daughter is in TEARS every day because she wants to play with me, and I don't have time. I WORK.

Get off your high horse; this is a job, not a game.

Done now...I have to go get lunch, change diapers, soothe tears, wipe noses, figure out why the tears were happening, get kids down for naps, feed a baby, change the baby's diaper, clean up from lunch, snuggle the baby who's teething, give the nappers the stink eye because they're being loud, clean up the mess in the bathroom, snuggle the baby again, change the baby again, clean up the pee accident in the naproom, get the nappers back to sleep AGAIN, conduct a fire drill, hug my 4 yo who is lonely because she wants to play, get snack ready, maybe grab my own lunch, maybe get to pee, then the nappers are up and it's snack time, everyone needs to go to the bathroom/diapers changed, the baby needs to eat again, someone needs a squabble settled...

awestbrook713 10-27-2011 09:13 AM

I as the original poster never said I was charging for the other days they were not here. I gave all the parents a form to fill out what days they need each week and figured out the weekly rate based on the days there. Will they have to pay for the days they signed up for if the child doesn't come 1 of the 4 days they said they need me yes but why shouldn't they since that is there spot and DARN WELL will be there for them to use as you so nicely put it.

AnneCordelia 10-27-2011 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Entertainment indeed! LOL I'd love to make $15 an hour to stay home and play with kids. LOL

Who makes $15/hour??? I don't.

I have 4 kids in my daycare and still make only a bit more than $5/hour once you account for taxes, groceries, craft supplies, wipes, cleaning supplies, extra toilet paper, extra utilities, ect.
I also don't play; I facilitate play. Around here the KIDS are the ones who play. I cook. I clean. I set up play stations. I set up and guide crafting. I clean. I wipe noses. I change diapers. I clean up pee & poop. I clean some more. I read stories. I teach music.

Show me where I can earn $15/hour to stay home and play with kids!!

Unregistered 10-27-2011 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

seriously????

Yes...where I'm from $15 is a lot of money and you'd need a college education to get it. A teacher in my state averages that. A teachers' aide gets under $8 an hour, unless she's a former teacher and then she might get $10 for experience. If you charged me minimum wage to watch my child, I wouldn't be bringing home enough to cover the gas to get to your house. This is why I wouldn't want to pay for days I don't use. I can't afford to. So yes, I'd LOVE to get $15 an hour to stay home and play with kids.

Unregistered 10-27-2011 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
I wish I could stay home and play with kids, too!!!

But with all the teaching, cleaning, diaper changing, supervising, cooking, cleaning, record keeping, cleaning, and supervising, I don't have time to play. My 4 year old daughter is in TEARS every day because she wants to play with me, and I don't have time. I WORK.

Get off your high horse; this is a job, not a game.

Done now...I have to go get lunch, change diapers, soothe tears, wipe noses, figure out why the tears were happening, get kids down for naps, feed a baby, change the baby's diaper, clean up from lunch, snuggle the baby who's teething, give the nappers the stink eye because they're being loud, clean up the mess in the bathroom, snuggle the baby again, change the baby again, clean up the pee accident in the naproom, get the nappers back to sleep AGAIN, conduct a fire drill, hug my 4 yo who is lonely because she wants to play, get snack ready, maybe grab my own lunch, maybe get to pee, then the nappers are up and it's snack time, everyone needs to go to the bathroom/diapers changed, the baby needs to eat again, someone needs a squabble settled...

You'd have more time for all of that if you weren't online checking to see what I'll say next! Do your parents know this is what you do instead of play with their children?

Blackcat31 10-27-2011 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Yes...where I'm from $15 is a lot of money and you'd need a college education to get it. A teacher in my state averages that. A teachers' aide gets under $8 an hour, unless she's a former teacher and then she might get $10 for experience. If you charged me minimum wage to watch my child, I wouldn't be bringing home enough to cover the gas to get to your house. This is why I wouldn't want to pay for days I don't use. I can't afford to. So yes, I'd LOVE to get $15 an hour to stay home and play with kids.

I NEVER said $15 wasn't a lot of money. It is. FWIW~ I am college educated. I hold 2 degrees as a matter of fact and I still DO NOT play all day!!

I was merely being sarcastic about each family paying me minimum wage, the point I was trying to make was child care providers are paid VERY little for ALL they do during the day,week, and year in order to care for your child. There is little respect from the parent and one would think that the person caring for your child would be the one person you would be bending over backwards to please. Most people tip their servers without thinking twice about whether the service was actually good or not simply because servers make less than minimum wage. Odd thought process if you ask me.

However, as I previously stated.....I do NOT charge for the days you do not use IF your schedule is set each week. But if you want me at your beck and call, then pay for it.

SilverSabre25 10-27-2011 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by Unregistered:
You'd have more time for all of that if you weren't online checking to see what I'll say next! Do your parents know this is what you do instead of play with their children?

Actually I'm watching the kids eat three feet away from me while I feed the baby in my lap, update the daycare Facebook page with news from the morning, and do some curriculum planning for next month. I check, read, and type here while I wait for other pages to load.

What are you doing? I bet your employer doesn't know they're paying you to harass us!!

Ariana 10-27-2011 09:34 AM

I didn't have time to read all the responses but she's your business client so keep emotions out of it. Charge her the rate and leave it at that. Why is there even any room for discussion? You KNOW they want a lower rate, so the discussion will only end up with you lowering your rates.

Be professional, be blunt and let them deal with it. You shouldn't have to defend what you're worth IMO :)

Cat Herder 10-27-2011 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I could see paying the weekly rate for a rotating schedule, as long as my spot is available whenever I need it.

I agree 100% with that statement. That is the whole point of slots. :Sunny:

Consistency for the kids AND the parents.

The kids here have their own "stuff". I buy them their own beds, pillows, blankets, etc. upon enrollment.

Consistency and being PART of our group is invaluable for them.

I keep 6 children from birth to 4.

Thank you for clarifying what you meant. It means alot. Sorry I got so defensive (I think? I can't tell which "unregistered" is which. :o) I just work really hard at this and some months I don't even make my bills for buying daycare supplies. :)

As far as computer time, it is in the playroom and the kids are playing with EACH OTHER as is developmentally necessary. I see all, hear all and guide when an opportunity presents itself. Free play is after lunch.

MarinaVanessa 10-27-2011 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by Unregistered:
So yes, I'd LOVE to get $15 an hour to stay home and play with kids.

There are plenty of childcare providers that charge daily and hourly so for you this is a great way to go. Some providers prefer to charge this way, it's called drop-in, and that's fine. In my area when you charge daily or hourly you pay more per hour then if you had a flat weekly rate.

I have clients that come the same 4 days a week and prefer to pay my drop-in rates so that if they don't come all 4 days (like this week they are only coming 3 days) they don't pay for the extra one day. However they pay me $40 a day and end up paying me $160 a week for four days. My FT clients come 5 days a week and pay $160 for that week too. The difference is that my FT client has a guaranteed spot, my drop-in client doesn't. I give the clients that pay me a weekly rate a deal because it's regular and dependable income. Drop-ins are not. Whether my clients come or not I still have to pay my bills.

Please keep in mind that childcare is a service that a parent pays for. A childcare provider can charge as she wishes and a parent decides whether or not they want to pay the rate and follow the guidelines that the provider sets. The water bill example was a bad example to compare childcare services to. Cable was not. Cable is a service that you sign up for and pay for monthly whether you use it or not. So is a gym membership. You pay monthly and even if you don't go 1 day out of the month you still have to pay for that whole month. Gyms also offer a daily rate if you don't want to use it frequently.

The thing here is that childcare providers are exactly that, childcare "providers". We do provide a service, we provide childcare. I don't see why that's so hard to understand. We as business owners have the ability to set our prices and set our rules, you as a parent have the freedom and ability to choose which provider's service you wish to use. If you prefer to go to the one that only charges daily then great. If the OP decides to charge a flat weekly rate or not is also great. That's the beauty of freedom of choice.

Ariana 10-27-2011 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Yes...where I'm from $15 is a lot of money and you'd need a college education to get it. A teacher in my state averages that. A teachers' aide gets under $8 an hour, unless she's a former teacher and then she might get $10 for experience. If you charged me minimum wage to watch my child, I wouldn't be bringing home enough to cover the gas to get to your house. This is why I wouldn't want to pay for days I don't use. I can't afford to. So yes, I'd LOVE to get $15 an hour to stay home and play with kids.

Then get a new job? Why does the burden of your low paying job weigh on my shoulders? Find another caregiver with lower rates who likely doesn't provide quality care for kids. Lobby government to make universal childcare FREE for all families. Lobby government for tax breaks for childcare providers, or for you. Start your own daycare. I don't run a charity!!

Your last sentence really shows your attitude towards childcare providers and it's pretty sad. If you value my job as me "playing all day" then you clearly have not been a 'real' parent.

Cat Herder 10-27-2011 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by Ariana:
Lobby government to make universal childcare FREE for all families.

Ooo...Yeah. PLEASE do that. :ouch:

I'd LOVE to be a federal employee.

mom2many 10-27-2011 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by Unregistered:
So yes, I'd LOVE to get $15 an hour to stay home and play with kids.

WOW! Okie Dokie.... So if you think this is such a great paying gravy job w/only fun and games....why not just do it yourself and stop complaining about how we choose to run our businesses! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: That is the joy and benefit of being self employed! :)

I love my job and could never have been successful and kept my sanity if I didn't! It can be a stressful and thankless job at times and my reward is in knowing that I'm making a positive difference in the life of a child...not in the monetary worth this job gives me! :)

I have many p/t families and they are scheduled to come 2 or 3 days a week on specific days. I am paid for those days, regardless of whether the child comes, due to illness or vacation, because that spot is being held for that individual. I also have some drop in families and if I have a spot open, they are able to use it. However, there is no guarantee I will have availability.

mismatchedsocks 10-27-2011 10:33 AM

If you pay for each day, then you can come whenever you want. If you pay for Monday, Thursday and Friday each week, those days will be available. Lets say you get asked to work Tuesday at your job. DO NOT expect the "slot" to be open since you CHOOSE to not pay for fulltime slot. You can ask if I have openings, then your child can come for a daily drop in rate.

And getting paid any amount is ok with me to "stay home and play all day". I get to raise my own kids, dont have to worry about the slots in someone elses daycare. its wonderful! So yep, I can play, and get paid. I am sure if you really thought about it, you know that we do more then play, if not then I feel sorry for your child who goes to daycare and the provider plays all day! How do they survive? Eat? Learn? Get art projects bought and set up for them? Get diapers changed and potty trained?

laundrymom 10-27-2011 10:39 AM

60$ for an oil change? Sign me up! I can't do it for under $110.00. Myself in the driveway!

And much like childcare, I get what I pay for. I pay a premium price for a premium product. 10 qts of oil, plus a quality filter. Is the same as full time childcare. You pay for a full time position ( full oil change) you expect a full change. All 5 days ( all 10 quarts) including a filter.

You are expecting a full oil change, for the price of a filter spin and top off. ( taking up a full time position for a part time rate )

Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I pay for the water I use. If I go on vacation for 2 weeks, my water bill is less. If I water my garden, my bill is more. It would be great if the water bill was a flat fee. Cable is a subscription, just like a magazine. Daycare isn't a subscription.

I do get the rotating thing. I could see paying the weekly rate for a rotating schedule, as long as my spot is available whenever I need it. I was referring to only needing a specific 3 days that are the same all the time. I don't see where I should have to pay for the other 2 days then.

I know the oil change is a flat rate. My point was that you would not like it if that flat rate was based on his hourly rate if you knew it only takes 20 min to do the job. ie. If he charges $60 an hour, you wouldn't want to pay $60 for an oil change when it only takes him 20 min. You would want to pay the $20 that it's worth.


laundrymom 10-27-2011 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by Catherder:
Ooo...Yeah. PLEASE do that. :ouch:

I'd LOVE to be a federal employee.

Does that mean, full insurance including DENTAL?????? whoohoo!!

MsMe 10-27-2011 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by laundrymom:
Does that mean, full insurance including DENTAL?????? whoohoo!!

Sign me up!!!! I am excited for all the PAID Holidays!!!

laundrymom 10-27-2011 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Entertainment indeed! LOL I'd love to make $15 an hour to stay home and play with kids. LOL

Me too!! Sign me up!!!
However, between taxes, fees, food, supplies, repairs, office expenses, education expenses, insurance( health, property, life) , general household bills I wouldn't have if I didn't care for children, activies for the kids,
I make less than the typical minimum wage worker. But that's ok, I like my job. Love it actually. Its people like me, who care for children like yours, and enjoy our job enough to make it fun. A safe welcoming place for the families lucky enough to be here. I surely don't do it for the MONEY. Lol

Unregistered 10-27-2011 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by Unregistered:
If I was you I would charge just a WEEKLY FLAT RATE therefore no confusion you are giving up to much income by doing day rates.

My WEEKLY rate is
125 a week for ages 6 weeks til age 5 and in school I dont do school age.

Bingo!!! Have a policy book for the parents..........take Holidays and allow yourself 3 personal days a year......if you don't use them,that is ok, but do use the Holidays. Allow yourself to be paid no matter if the child is there or not on any given day, and set a time for your hours to be open and not so your killing yourself. Don't give discounts.......you don't give discounted care. If you choose to do drop in care, have a set rate for that per hour and only allow so many hours and if you have the availability. Don't do daily rate you will come to resent it.

hang in there, be strong and stand up for yourself, if you don't who will?

Unregistered 10-27-2011 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by awestbrook713:
That is what I am trying to do but the parents don't want to have to pay that much if there child only ends up here some of the days. They feel they are paying for something they aren't getting but what they don't understand is they are paying for there childs spot. Parents just don't get it.

they will if you spell it out in black and white. I have so many spots and I charge for your child's spot no matter if they are in care or not.

full time rate
part time rate for me 3 days is a part time rate 4 days jumps to a full time rate ....if you did five half days you should charge a full time rate..... your filling a spot, your not going to find someone to fill in the other half of the day most likely.

you will learn as you go.......so update as you go. Be ready to lose clients, but childcare is ever evolving.... if your good you will have another client and maybe a waiting list

your not being unfair.......and are you working to be fair or is this your job?


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:27 AM.
1 2 3