Daycare.com Forum

Daycare.com Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/index.php)
-   Daycare Center and Family Home Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   DCM Wants To Stay With Kid... (https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=77407)

NillaWafers 05-08-2015 08:55 AM

DCM Wants To Stay With Kid...

So I still don't have any clients after 3 months. I had a call today, it was a mom who said he child had a "bad experience" at a preschool, and wants to stay until she feels her child has a bond with me?

I am desperate for a client so that I can get other kids in (nobody wants to be the first) but this person sounds kinda "different". I told her my kids were 4 and 2, boys and she was like - oh she only likes girls >_>.

I'm not crazy for not even wanting to interview right?

Rockgirl 05-08-2015 09:00 AM

Don't do it!!!

Mom o Col 05-08-2015 09:22 AM

Don't do it.

KIDZRMYBIZ 05-08-2015 09:49 AM

This is a tough one. If I had no other children enrolled (my state licensing actually prohibits these "observations" or "visits" if other children are present), and I was trying to get my business started, I would probably accommodate her request. I can understand dcm's desire to be sure of the environment if there are no current or previous clients she can call for reference.

But, long goodbyes can make for terrible separation when it is time for dcm to walk out the door. It depends on the age of the child. If it's a baby (under 15mos or so), no problem. But any older than that and it probably isn't going to be pretty. Make sure dcm is aware of that.

As far as the comment about girls, before age 7 or 8 years, children do not care one bit about boy or girl, or really even seem to notice a difference. I would just reiterate that I am building my business, there will be girl playmates in the near future.

I would promise to be as transparent as possible as we get to know one another, build mutual trust, and communicate openly to ensure that with me your child is receiving the best care possible in a loving, nurturing, educational, and fun daycare environment.

After you have a couple years experience under your belt and references to call, you won't have to accommodate such silly requests anymore. But right now, who knows? She could end up being a really great client, and just what you needed to get your business off the ground! Good luck!

LysesKids 05-08-2015 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by NillaWafers:
So I still don't have any clients after 3 months. I had a call today, it was a mom who said he child had a "bad experience" at a preschool, and wants to stay until she feels her child has a bond with me?

I am desperate for a client so that I can get other kids in (nobody wants to be the first) but this person sounds kinda "different". I told her my kids were 4 and 2, boys and she was like - oh she only likes girls >_>.

No you are not crazy for not interviewing... I would think you were off your rocker if you did

nannyde 05-08-2015 09:57 AM

No way. I haven't met a newbie mom that has th skill set to evaluate whether a child was comfortable with me. What she would consider to be an indication the child didn't bond with me could easily be the biggest indicator he has. I just couldn't trust her judgment so I wouldn't waste my time.

Laurel 05-08-2015 10:06 AM

My first parent ever used to come a half hour before she had to leave for work and she fed her baby breakfast and we talked and got to know each other. It actually turned out to be a very nice relationship.

I would interview because if things seem weird you could always not take them. When I did interviews I never told them on the spot that they had the spot. Tell them you'll let them know as you have other interviews (even if you don't).

There is no way I would let them stay longer than about a half an hour. Don't they have to go to work and that is why they need childcare? Some parents just worry more than others.

Laurel

KIDZRMYBIZ 05-08-2015 10:08 AM

Also, when I first started my business, I watched a cousin's child ft and a neighbor's 2 children pt for a DEEPLY discounted rate for the first year, in exchange for shining referrals and word-of-mouth advertising. It was wonderful. Before I knew it, I was at capacity, and here I am with a booming, successful daycare business still 13 years later.

If there is ANYONE you know (family, friend, neighbor) with a young child that might like to use your services for a nice discount (no matter if it would be ft, pt, or even just a very occasional drop-in) and an agreement to be your cheerleader as a referral for this first start-up year, offer it!

After you are more established in a year, you will want to do business with anyone who is not close to you, when you have options. But to start up, it worked well for me.

childcaremom 05-08-2015 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by NillaWafers:

No, you aren't crazy. I would not interview and I would not even respond back.

If your gut is telling you she sounds 'different', trust your gut! One thing I wish that I had learned early on.

NoMoreJuice! 05-08-2015 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by childcaremom:
If your gut is telling you she sounds 'different', trust your gut! One thing I wish that I had learned early on.

This x 1000! Every single one of my trouble families throughout my career have been consistent in one area: I always had a little nagging voice telling me not to do business with them. But I always talked myself into these trouble clients because I needed the money, the kid was adorable, it was only part time, etc etc...

hope 05-08-2015 10:26 AM

I actually let a dcm do this once and she turned out to be the best client ever. At the time I only had part timers so I gave her the day and the time she was allowed to stay. Make it a half hour and you can do a craft and snack. Dcm pays for full day and must either leave after the half hour with or without the child. I did let her know that the child will act completely different with me when she was not there and that I felt this was more for mom to feel at ease. She was not allowed to sneak out. She had to do a quick good bye.

hope 05-08-2015 10:27 AM

But if dcm mentioned a bad experience from past daycare I may not even interview. I would want to know what the problem was first. That worries me more than the stay.

Blackcat31 05-08-2015 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by NoMoreJuice!:
This x 1000! Every single one of my trouble families throughout my career have been consistent in one area: I always had a little nagging voice telling me not to do business with them. But I always talked myself into these trouble clients because I needed the money, the kid was adorable, it was only part time, etc etc...

I agree...we have instincts for a reason ;)

Originally Posted by hope:
But if dcm mentioned a bad experience from past daycare I may not even interview. I would want to know what the problem was first. That worries me more than the stay.

One persons definition of a bad experience may be TOTALLY opposite of another's.

Bad experience = provider would not accommodate ALL my special requests and give me a 50% discount every week.

Bad experience = provider was cited for multiple licensing infractions.

"bad experience" could mean way too many things... :ouch:

Starburst 05-10-2015 11:09 AM

It depends on what her idea of long enough is: a few hours, a few days, a week, a month? If you did decide to do this I would only allow maybe one or two days for a few hours max (maybe 2 days for no more than 2 hours each). I would also maybe ask her what her concerns are and what she is looking for in a new child care.

Unregistered 05-10-2015 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by Starburst:
It depends on what her idea of long enough is: a few hours, a few days, a week, a month? If you did decide to do this I would only allow maybe one or two days for a few hours max (maybe 2 days for no more than 2 hours each). I would also maybe ask her what her concerns are and what she is looking for in a new child care.

No, No tell that bish she's being unreasonable and borderline crazy. Either you fill out this contract and LEAVE your kid or be on your way geesh talk about being over protective. Tell her your not giving out no oscars for most dramatic parent.

NightOwl 05-11-2015 01:48 AM

What's wrong with different?? Maybe she really did have a bad experience. I have 4 kids and worry about all of them when they are facing something new, especially if their last experience was not positive. I think that's normal, not different. But I digress...

I would not accommodate her request. At least, not to the degree she asked for. I would allow her half an hour or so in the mornings and the same in the evenings as long as she understood that the time she spent here would really be more for her than her child. SHE is insecure, and that could easily project onto her child if she hovered all day. Her mistrust could also make her child mistrustful and that's no way to begin this relationship. She needs to understand that this arrangement would probably make things a little harder for her child. It may make things easier for mom, but it shouldn't be about her.

Leaving her child is likely the hardest thing she's ever done. I think cutting her a little slack is perfectly acceptable, as long as she's aware of the above implications and that you won't allow it to go on longer than a few days.

AmyKidsCo 05-11-2015 12:35 PM

ITA that I'd want to know what the bad experience was. If the child was abused in some way that's a different situation than if the preschool didn't do things the way Mom thought they should.

In either case I wouldn't let her hang around indefinitely.