Daycare.com Forum

Daycare.com Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/index.php)
-   Daycare Menus, Breakfast, Lunch and Snack Ideas (https://www.daycare.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Anyone Else Do Leftover Fridays? (https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=84687)

Josiegirl 11-18-2016 04:06 AM

Anyone Else Do Leftover Fridays?

That seems to be the pattern of my recent months. That way, they get to say Yuck again, to all the food that didn't get eaten the whole week long. Yes, my goal is to torment the lil munchkins. :ouch:

But really, Fridays seem to be a mix it all up kind of a day for us.....half a cucumber, 1/4 pint of grape tomatoes, 1/2 bowl of peas, some chicken strips and noodles left from Tuesday, etc., etc., everybody gets a bit of everything here. Otherwise, everything would get tossed this weekend and to me, that's downright wasteful.
I have no one at home to eat leftovers anymore and don't feed most of that to the dogs so......

Blackcat31 11-18-2016 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
That seems to be the pattern of my recent months. That way, they get to say Yuck again, to all the food that didn't get eaten the whole week long. Yes, my goal is to torment the lil munchkins. :ouch:

But really, Fridays seem to be a mix it all up kind of a day for us.....half a cucumber, 1/4 pint of grape tomatoes, 1/2 bowl of peas, some chicken strips and noodles left from Tuesday, etc., etc., everybody gets a bit of everything here. Otherwise, everything would get tossed this weekend and to me, that's downright wasteful.
I have no one at home to eat leftovers anymore and don't feed most of that to the dogs so......

Sort of... we have pizza every Friday and the "sides" are the let over fresh veggies and fruits we didn't eat all week.

We switch up the type and kind of pizza we have each week so that it isn't just a repeat but yeah, Friday is clean out the fridge day and anything that needs to get eaten is put out as an option for snack and/or lunch.

As for left overs at home, my DH makes dinner each night and purposely makes 4 servings verses just 2 so that we have left overs for lunch the following day or the next depending. It saves time and I think helps eliminate the amount of leftovers that become doggie treats..:ouch:

daycarediva 11-18-2016 08:55 AM

leftovers? What are those? :lol: There are 2 adults, 2 teenagers, a pre teen and an 8 yo with a hollow leg in my house. :ouch:

I have to meticulously plan all meals, snacks for DC and my own family, because we literally eat everything. The dc kids will eat everything I serve, and if one child won't eat their portion or something, another will.

I make enough dinner to have for lunch for dh and I the following day, my kids pack their meals and snacks for school so those are planned, too.

Right now I have 1/2 gallon of milk, condiments and snack in my fridge.

When we move, I will have a second fridge, so dc food can go in there and that will free up my family fridge to hold more. We don't eat much processed food, so it all needs to be stored in the fridge. We really contemplated getting a second fridge for our kitchen, but I just couldn't get past how awful it would look.

nothingwithoutjoy 11-18-2016 11:16 AM

Thursday's my last kid day of the week, and Thursday-afternoon snack is leftovers. I put everything on a tray on a stool near their tables, and they come get what they want buffet-style.

AmyKidsCo 11-18-2016 01:17 PM

Oh yes! Sometimes we have "clean the cupboard" snack - all the last-handful of crackers, random cookies, etc, get mixed together.

BumbleBee 11-18-2016 01:30 PM

Yup!

Lunch is leftovers from the week.

Snack is all of the leftover crackers mixed together and peanut butter for dipping.

hwichlaz 06-22-2017 02:35 PM

all of the bits of frozen veggies that aren't enough for a full meal that are in the freezer, become "mixed veggies" on Friday. I do the same with the individually frozen meats sometimes as well.