Daycare.com Forum

Daycare.com Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/index.php)
-   Daycare Center and Family Home Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Outdoor Play Help!!! (https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34228)

3kidzmama 09-07-2011 11:33 AM

Outdoor Play Help!!!

Our play area outside is paved. We have ride on toys, balls, a basketball hoop, and sidewalk chalk. What else can we do? I can't put any items over 18 inches in height (such as climbers or slides).

blueclouds29 09-07-2011 11:48 AM

I'm having almost the same problem.... We play on my back deck and the kids seem so bored. Because they are 2 and under I cant really take them out front cause they will all scatter! They just seem so bored. I have slide (only when i sit with it cause they are still young then it goes away) ride-on toys, basket net, balls, a garden, trucks and chalk. Its so beautiful out but they just walk around aimlessly..

Cat Herder 09-07-2011 11:52 AM

Bowling set, Soccer goals, Hula Hoop Hopscotch, Sand and Water Play, Giant Waffle Blocks, Ribbons & Flags and Coffee Can Stompers come to mind.

As you can tell... I have no concrete area they are allowed to play on anymore since the driveway is not fenced in....:(

I miss it sooooooo bad.

Unregistered 09-07-2011 11:52 AM

What ages do you have? A fav of our is tonka trucks, the really big ones. That should liven things up. Why cant you put a climber up? dc reg?

Crystal 09-07-2011 12:18 PM

sand table. water table. ball pit. ring toss. low balance beam. tumbling mats. container garden. table with drawing materials. bench and a basket of books.

Crystal 09-07-2011 12:22 PM

oh, also, an easel and paint.

Kaddidle Care 09-07-2011 12:23 PM

And Bubbles! (and maybe a bucket of water and towel so they can get the soap off their hands when they're done playing with them.)

WImom 09-07-2011 12:59 PM

chalk (can draw roads for them to ride on), bubbles, water table, sand tables, play house, play kitchen with dishes, picnic table. Step 2 Roller coaster (not sure with the concrete on that though - ours is on the grass. maybe foam squares under it?)

JenNJ 09-07-2011 02:38 PM

Honestly, outside all I have is a playset and a few large balls. I want them running, climbing, and exhausting themselves so they get a good rest in the afternoon. Maybe they just need to have a game led for them with the ball like dodgeball or kickball.

3kidzmama 09-07-2011 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by Unregistered:
What ages do you have? A fav of our is tonka trucks, the really big ones. That should liven things up. Why cant you put a climber up? dc reg?

I have mostly 2-4 yo. I can't do climbers and slides because our regulations require a 9-inch deep fall zone and I can't afford to put that in right now. So for now everything has to be no more than 18 inches off the ground. I do have some really big trucks, we will take them out tomorrow. Thanks for the suggestion!

3kidzmama 09-07-2011 06:48 PM

Thank you everyone!! Lots of great ideas! I'll be incorporating quite a few of these!!!

beachgrl 09-07-2011 09:40 PM

I have sand and water tables, shopping cart, a couple lower toddler size climbers and a slide, larger swing set and slide, the roller coaster ride on, bubbles, trucks, balls, little tykes table and chairs, small wagon for them to put toys in, little plastic picnic table and some other extras in storage containers ton rotate out. I'd like to have some center items like blocks and books and such out there too, I just have to figure out how and where to store them so the don't get weathered as much.

beachgrl 09-07-2011 09:42 PM

Forgot I also have several other ride on toys and the cozy coupe car. I just have grass and dirt with a slightly sloping yard so there is not a great place for the ride ons

Abigail 09-08-2011 05:24 PM

One of our young 2's likes to "throw" a frisbee and he certainly wears himself out running after his own throws and mine make him run even further! Have you ever brought out a radio to play and dance outside?

3kidzmama 09-08-2011 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by Abigail:
One of our young 2's likes to "throw" a frisbee and he certainly wears himself out running after his own throws and mine make him run even further! Have you ever brought out a radio to play and dance outside?

These are both great ideas, thanks!! I hadn't thought of dancing, will definitely be doing that tomorrow!

graham.shellbell 09-09-2011 04:53 AM

toys

One of the fave things of my littles is the Step 2 coaster...they all love that thing!! I have a large climber..NEVER gets played on..its always balls, coaster, playhouse and water table. :)

blueclouds29 09-09-2011 05:55 AM

I have a small deck but i have a small Little Tykes basketball net. I have trouble with the picnic table cause the two younger kids likes to climb up and over it. So i only take it out when we use it. And i also have a sports slide and that get taken out when needed cause the younger ones haven't figured out how to sit going down the slide, they tend to just walk down :(
I did however bring out ball pit balls and they LOVE them!!