Daycare.com Forum

Daycare.com Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/index.php)
-   Daycare Center and Family Home Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Presents for the Parents/Their Present to Me? (https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10708)

Unregistered 12-09-2009 10:18 AM

Presents for the Parents/Their Present to Me?

Hi! My name is Jana & I just started doing daycare 3 months ago. I essentially care for one family (three kids, one is in school full-time, one goes to preschool pt & the other is with me all day). I also have three kids of my own, two being in school all day & the youngest is home with me. Do many of you childcare providers give the PARENTS a gift at Christmas? I have been thinking about it & wasn't sure what to do. I thought about giving them a FREE night out, as in 2-3 hrs to go out to eat/go to a movie, etc. I don't charge my kids for vacation/holiday time but I am hoping they do give me something extra for Christmas. Is that normal or not? I know when I was not a SAHM I was using an in-home provider myself. This was YEARS ago but I did give my daycare provider a Christmas bonus. Just wanted some thoughts as to what is normal.

momma2girls 12-09-2009 02:48 PM

I always make something for the parents- I should say the children help me!! One yr. we made jar recipe brownies, one yr. an ornament, one yr. a cement stone for outside with handprint, one yr. a picture frame with their picture in it, other yrs. I can't remember!!

momofboys 12-09-2009 08:08 PM

I like your brownie mix in the jar idea. Maybe I'll try that. thanks! :-)

tymaboy 12-10-2009 05:21 AM

I give the parents a night out. I set 1 night & let the parents know that it is from 6-9. They let me know if they will be coming or not. I dont let them pick what night cuz then I could be watching kids different night threw out the week (I do a weekday so the weekends are still mine) This yr I also ordered a desk calender & a wall calender from vista print (freebys only pay shiping) I am also giving them a water globe with their childs picture inside.

As for the family giving you gifts that all depends on the family. Some families think about it will give you something- anywhere from a candy bar to money, then there are some that dont give anything.

kiddiecare 12-10-2009 05:36 AM

Parents give a xmas bonus? Baaaahaaahahaaaahaaaaaaaaa! Wow that would be amazing! Most parents dont even get their providers a card, you do get the occassional thoughfull parent that will go out of their way but its not an ordinary thing. I am making the parents a picture frame of their kids, i will try and post a picture later if i can figure out how to..I got the idea from another provider on another site, it wasnt to expensive and tuned out really cute. I never expect presents from the parents and i am surprised when i get something other than a thank you for doing such a great job, i did get half a cord of wood once, that was nice!

mac60 12-10-2009 08:32 AM

I have always gotten wonderful gifts from my families, well, except for a couple. ;) The ones you don't get a gift from, imo, are the ones who don't give a rats butt and are the abusers of your policies.

momma2girls 12-10-2009 08:46 AM

you are so correct on that!!! I had one family last year, that didn't even say thank you for the girl's presents, which I spent about $15.00 on each of them!! I couldn't believe it not a thank you or anything!!!!!!!! Then not even a card or anything from them for me!!!!
Then we even did a big craft project, cement stones with hand prints on them!!! They were also a family who wanted everything- days free, didn't want to pay for my vac. etc... I finally had to take them to court after their 2 weeks notice to me. They couldn't afford to pay me for it!!!!!

jen 12-10-2009 08:55 AM

That so funny! Same thing here! The one family who demands the most, pays late, come early, were the ones who A) Didn't say thank you and B) Didn't remember us at Christmas!