Daycare.com Forum

Daycare.com Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/index.php)
-   Daycare Center and Family Home Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Nap mat repair/glue? (https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=88457)

LittleScholars 02-01-2018 05:57 AM

Nap mat repair/glue?

I use the angeles nap mats, and they've been great for us for 2 years; however, some are suddenly starting to split at the seams. I'd like to try to repair them before purchasing new ones (they seem to have so much more life in them). Has this happened to anyone/any repair tips? I'm thinking some sort of glue?

Blackcat31 02-01-2018 05:58 AM

We aren't allowed to "repair" or "mend" and must replace.

Check with your licensor and double check that using repaired mats are acceptable.

Personally I see nothing wrong with it but I don't write the daycare regulations... :)

Cat Herder 02-01-2018 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

Check with your licensor and double check that using repaired mats are acceptable.

Personally I see nothing wrong with it but I don't write the daycare regulations... :)

Same. :cool:

And I have a mat chewer right now. It is awesome. :cool:

LittleScholars 02-01-2018 06:52 AM

Looking at the regulations I think it is fine, especially since they are perfect splits on the seams (once they get gross they are GONE).

Do you have mats that you're finding more durable? I have found these so comfortable, but it is super odd that all of a sudden almost all are splitting. I can't deal with a shelf life of 2 years.

Blackcat31 02-01-2018 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by LittleScholars:
Looking at the regulations I think it is fine, especially since they are perfect splits on the seams (once they get gross they are GONE).

Do you have mats that you're finding more durable? I have found these so comfortable, but it is super odd that all of a sudden almost all are splitting. I can't deal with a shelf life of 2 years.

I've always just bought the kindergarten nap mats that are on sale in the Back to School section at Target/Walmart and haven't had any issues with them. But I also don't allow the kids to take them out, fold or unfold nor put away. I do all that myself so that they are folded correctly and not damaged.

Like Cat Herder, I have a nap time "picker" right now and it's alot of work to supervise but I am NOT spending more $ on something that doesn't have to be destroyed...

When I am inspected, they look for tape or repairs and recommend replacing if repaired because access to the foam inside is dangerous and if I put tape on them, the tape becomes a danger too... :rolleyes:

I have considered requiring a nap mat (on parent's dime) upon enrollment but just haven't gone there yet. My nap picker might push me soon though. :p

LittleScholars 02-01-2018 07:03 AM

I've always just bought the kindergarten nap mats that are on sale in the Back to School section at Target/Walmart and haven't had any issues with them. But I also don't allow the kids to take them out, fold or unfold nor put away. I do all that myself so that they are folded correctly and not damaged.

Like Cat Herder, I have a nap time "picker" right now and it's alot of work to supervise but I am NOT spending more $ on something that doesn't have to be destroyed...

When I am inspected, they look for tape or repairs and recommend replacing if repaired because access to the foam inside is dangerous and if I put tape on them, the tape becomes a danger too... :rolleyes:

I have considered requiring a nap mat (on parent's dime) upon enrollment but just haven't gone there yet. My nap picker might push me soon though. :p

I'm thinking I might require this of parents when this group turns over, as well. So far the kids do treat them well, but they also so 100% of the cleaning up (intentionally), so I bet that has something to do with it.

I wouldn't use tape because that scares me even though I can see all of them at all times. I'm grateful that licensing (so far) never checks things like that. But if I didn't think they could be safely repaired I wouldn't do it, so I think they tend to make that assumption.

I love these ones because they are thicker, but it may be time for the cheaper ones :(

Cat Herder 02-01-2018 07:07 AM

I went with dream on me 3 inch crib mattresses (evacuation crib sized ;)). 2 inch is minimum and if they compress (as they all do) and don't measure at least 2 inches with a ruler at each inspection, I am cited. ;) https://www.amazon.com/Dream-Me-Port...+crib+mattress

It makes it easier, too, since each child can use the same mattress from crib to aging out if I am lucky. The large slip on kindermat sheets work great with them. likethis http://www.kinderkidzstuff.com/product-p/502393m.htm

LittleScholars 02-01-2018 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
I went with dream on me 3 inch crib mattresses (evacuation crib sized ;)). 2 inch is minimum and if they compress (as they all do) and don't measure at least 2 inches with a ruler at each inspection, I am cited. ;) https://www.amazon.com/Dream-Me-Port...+crib+mattress

It makes it easier, too, since each child can use the same mattress from crib to aging out if I am lucky. The large slip on kindermat sheets work great with them. likethis http://www.kinderkidzstuff.com/product-p/502393m.htm

This is helpful, and also interesting that you have such strict nap mat requirements! I don't take infants or use cribs, but if I ever do this is a GREAT idea! Thank you!

Cat Herder 02-01-2018 07:16 AM

This is helpful, and also interesting that you have such strict nap mat requirements! I don't take infants or use cribs, but if I ever do this is a GREAT idea! Thank you!

You don't even want to know about the fencing and mulch requirements. :rolleyes:

Homebody 02-01-2018 07:41 AM

I use the ECR4KIDS 2" rest mats. They seem to be very durable. You can get a 5 pack on amazon. I just slip them inside child size sleeping bags for extra comfort, and they help to prevent any damage to the mats. I got this tip from my sister who has been doing daycare for 20 years. I've never had any problems with daycare inspections with using the sleeping bags.

Cat Herder 02-01-2018 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by Homebody:
I use the ECR4KIDS 2" rest mats. They seem to be very durable. You can get a 5 pack on amazon. I just slip them inside child size sleeping bags for extra comfort, and they help to prevent any damage to the mats. I got this tip from my sister who has been doing daycare for 20 years. I've never had any problems with daycare inspections with using the sleeping bags.

Are you required to wash them daily? How do you store them?

That sounds interesting for winter, especially. likethis

LittleScholars 02-01-2018 08:02 AM

You don't even want to know about the fencing and mulch requirements. :rolleyes:

Oh my! We definitely have mulch requirements, as well, but I'm growing increasingly grateful that licensing's take thus far has been that if you're truly trying to do the right thing and have a habit of keeping kids truly safe, they don't examine everything insanely closely.

LittleScholars 02-01-2018 08:04 AM

This sounds cozy! I'm guessing you wash the sleeping bags, not parents? I kind of love that I don't wash bedding, but I don't love that my run with these mats is coming to an end.

Cat Herder 02-01-2018 08:07 AM

Oh my! We definitely have mulch requirements, as well, but I'm growing increasingly grateful that licensing's take thus far has been that if you're truly trying to do the right thing and have a habit of keeping kids truly safe, they don't examine everything insanely closely.

It used to be that way here, too. Now inspectors are told that if they don't find anything they are not doing their job efficiently. They are fearful for their jobs, too. Their funding is based on showing improvements. No violations = No intervention = No improvement.

We really have to work hard for our 100%. I use a daily checklist because I don't want to miss anything. We are inspected randomly every quarter, every 3 months minimum. Sometimes 3 days after a perfect inspection just because.

Homebody 02-01-2018 08:11 AM

Are you required to wash them daily? How do you store them?

That sounds interesting for winter, especially. likethis

I'm lucky in that I have a dedicated room for napping only. So when the room is not in use the door is always left closed. I just keep the mats on the floor as they are, but make sure the kids always use the same sleep mat. I wash them once a week. Our daycare inspectors have been OK with this.

My sister has a shelving unit that she rolls the sleeping bags up and stores on...each child has their own shelf so they don't get mixed up. She washes weekly too.

CityGarden 02-01-2018 08:17 AM

It used to be that way here, too. Now inspectors are told that if they don't find anything they are not doing their job efficiently. They are fearful for their jobs, too. Their funding is based on showing improvements. No violations = No intervention = No improvement.

We really have to work hard for our 100%. I use a daily checklist because I don't want to miss anything. We are inspected randomly every quarter, every 3 months minimum. Sometimes 3 days after a perfect inspection just because.

Would you be willing to share you daily check list? Our requirements are not as strict but it might help me see areas I can personally improve.

Homebody 02-01-2018 08:18 AM

This sounds cozy! I'm guessing you wash the sleeping bags, not parents? I kind of love that I don't wash bedding, but I don't love that my run with these mats is coming to an end.

Yeah, the kids seem to really like having the little extra padding the sleeping bags give.

Cat Herder 02-01-2018 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by CityGarden:
Would you be willing to share you daily check list? Our requirements are not as strict but it might help me see areas I can personally improve.

Sure. likethis Give me a bit to pm them to you. Poopalooza just started. :eek:

Cat Herder 02-01-2018 08:46 AM

I could not figure out how to upload my own word doc, so sent you the big ones to cherry pick your own list from. ;)

LittleScholars 02-01-2018 08:53 AM

YUCK. I do get inspected a lot, and I welcome it, but I feel like they've been trying to give more "technical support" when they can, and they aren't hunting for violations. I am a super rule follower, so I'm sure this helps, but I appreciate that inspections actually seem to becoming increasingly more HELPFUL to me. Last time they sent a survey after asking how my experience was and if there was anything they could improve. I can only hope this change spreads!

Of COURSE, I want my program to be the very best it can be, which is why I lurk on this site so often, but that feels like a lot of added pressure for providers.

LittleScholars 02-01-2018 08:55 AM

If you're willing to share, I'd love bullet points, as well. It might be helpful since my inspectors aren't as critical.

daycarediva 02-01-2018 09:24 AM

There is nothing in my regs about it, but I found that using the pool toy replacement patches work well to give me a little bit more time.

I also now by the angeles germ free nap mats with the seaming around the edges. So far, no issues.

I charge parents $50 enrollment fee. Nap mat, toddler pillow, small blanket, new water bottle. Each kid gets their own, no sharing.

Cat Herder 02-01-2018 09:40 AM

If you're willing to share, I'd love bullet points, as well. It might be helpful since my inspectors aren't as critical.

Sent likethis

LittleScholars 02-01-2018 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by daycarediva:
There is nothing in my regs about it, but I found that using the pool toy replacement patches work well to give me a little bit more time.

I also now by the angeles germ free nap mats with the seaming around the edges. So far, no issues.

I charge parents $50 enrollment fee. Nap mat, toddler pillow, small blanket, new water bottle. Each kid gets their own, no sharing.

Ohh patches, great idea! And those are the mats I have! I thought the seams would hold up for a long time!

I love the enrollment fee idea. That makes things SO much easier to manage. And I'd like to move to no mat sharing (even though those mats are easy to clean), but I'm not willing to do that while I pay for them. This is definitely the next move I make when my group turns over this summer.

daycarediva 02-01-2018 09:53 AM

Ohh patches, great idea! And those are the mats I have! I thought the seams would hold up for a long time!

I love the enrollment fee idea. That makes things SO much easier to manage. And I'd like to move to no mat sharing (even though those mats are easy to clean), but I'm not willing to do that while I pay for them. This is definitely the next move I make when my group turns over this summer.

I LOVE doing it this way. I keep a few extras of those items on hand so I can get them on sale and have them as needed. Right now I found blankets on clearance at Target so I have 6 gender neutral blankets in a tote in my dc closet. :lol:

LittleScholars 02-01-2018 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by daycarediva:
I LOVE doing it this way. I keep a few extras of those items on hand so I can get them on sale and have them as needed. Right now I found blankets on clearance at Target so I have 6 gender neutral blankets in a tote in my dc closet. :lol:

This is great. It does mean I'd have to do daycare laundry (boooo), but it would mean everyone always has the necessary materials. I have to supply these things if they forget and have to do laundry anyway.

momofsix 02-01-2018 11:41 AM

Oh my goodness I feel so stupid lol! I've been using the mats with sleeping bags on top, for forever. How did I never think about slipping the mat inside tha sleeping bag???
This is why I love this forum-always learning something new!:Sunny:

BrynleeJean 02-01-2018 11:49 AM

I use the angeles nap mats, and they've been great for us for 2 years; however, some are suddenly starting to split at the seams. I'd like to try to repair them before purchasing new ones (they seem to have so much more life in them). Has this happened to anyone/any repair tips? I'm thinking some sort of glue?

I JUST donated 5 mats to my locate donation center today because, here, if there is a rip at all, they are no good, id get written up for it and i felt the same way, so clean and nice just beautiful rips on the side or corners.. i figured some moms may get good use out of them.

Homebody 02-01-2018 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by momofsix:
Oh my goodness I feel so stupid lol! I've been using the mats with sleeping bags on top, for forever. How did I never think about slipping the mat inside tha sleeping bag???
This is why I love this forum-always learning something new!:Sunny:

Honestly, I don't think I would've thought of it myself if my sister hadn't suggested it to me. I've had the same mats for 2 years now and have not noticed any wear and tear, or damage caused from the kiddos. So I do think it helps doing it this way. :)