Daycare.com Forum

Daycare.com Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/index.php)
-   Daycare Center and Family Home Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Reasonable Time Lapse for Picking Up a Sick DCK? (https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61212)

Unregistered 04-01-2013 12:59 PM

Reasonable Time Lapse for Picking Up a Sick DCK?

I recently sent home a couple of DCKs sick. This was the first time I ever had to do this, but I ended up sending home 2 of them within 30 minutes of each other. I'm thinking i may need to update my sick policy for when a parent is expected to pick up a sick child. First child: parent took 50 minutes to pickup. Second child: parent took 80 minutes to pickup (from the time of the call from me to showing up at my house). Both the parents that ended up picking up that day were the ones who worked furthest away. I expected the parents who work very close by to be the ones and was quite surprised when I was told that so and so (further away parent) was coming. Instead of the 15-20 minutes time lapse I expected I got 50 and 80 minutes. Seems quite long. Do you have a time limit for picking up a sick child, like within 30 minutes or something like that, or just accept when they get here, they get here?

AmyKidsCo 04-01-2013 01:25 PM

My policies state that parents are expected to pick up their sick child, or make arrangements for the child to be picked up, within 30 min of notification.

wdmmom 04-01-2013 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:
My policies state that parents are expected to pick up their sick child, or make arrangements for the child to be picked up, within 30 min of notification.

likethislikethis Yep! I have the same policy!

WoodOx 04-01-2013 01:36 PM

likethissame here, but now thinking about it, I should include a late pickup fee if they take longer:cool:

BumbleBee 04-01-2013 01:47 PM

1 hr here, but most of my parents work 30-45 minutes away.

JenNJ 04-01-2013 01:54 PM

I find 60 minutes to be reasonable. It gives them enough time to notify their superior, reschedule meetings, put a notification on their email and voicemail, finish up any tasks or hand them off to a co-worker. I think 30 seems a bit quick. I know it takes dh about 45 to get from work to my son's school to pick him up.

daycarediva 04-01-2013 02:09 PM

AND my policy further states that if they don't pick up within 30 minutes, late fees of $1/min will apply.

ksmith 04-01-2013 02:15 PM

Mine is an hour. I think that is a reasonable amount of time. Sometimes they can't just break away, or get stuff in traffic, etc. But that is a good idea to charge a late fee if it is past your time frame, although I usually didn't have issues with that.

Rachel 04-02-2013 12:02 AM

Mine is 90 minutes, but I think it's a bit long (I work for an organization and they set the policy). I don't think you can require the closer parent to pick up though, just set a time. As people said, sometimes they need to finish things up, cancel a meeting, etc.

KnoxMom 04-02-2013 09:58 AM

I think 90 minutes is reasonable. When I had my son I worked 45 minutes away from daycare with little/no traffic. If I was called to pickup, I'd have to wait for someone to get back from lunch because there always had to be a supervisor available. It depends on the situation, really.

itlw8 04-02-2013 10:02 AM

each family has told me who can get away fastest. It is harder for the teachers because sub has to be located so even though dad is further he has to pick up.

small er town so 45 minutes would be the longest it would take.