Daycare.com Forum

Daycare.com Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/index.php)
-   Daycare Center and Family Home Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Am I Being Too Unreasonable About This? (https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=65912)

small_steps 10-15-2013 04:10 AM

Am I Being Too Unreasonable About This?

I have two sets of parents that I allow to have an earlier drop off time (I open at 7) but one has a 5:45am drop off time and the other has a 6:30-am drop time. Both of them, lately have been anywhere from ten to fifteen minutes late. This is really starting to irritate me. I know things happen sometimes that cause you to be late but I just think its rude. I'm a single mom with three kids of my own and we are rarely late for anything. I'm very punctual when we have somewhere to be.
I'm also one of those that sleeps right up until they are supposed to be here so I can just let them in and put them on their mats so they can get back to sleep. So I'm sleeping until 5:40 and then expecting them about 5:45. When they don't get here until 6 I feel like that's extra time I could have slept.
I make it a point to never make them have to knock on the door and wait outside with their kid for me to get up to answer it. I'm always up and waiting on them in the daycare room...always.
Am I being unreasonable when I expect them to be on time? I do know that things come up and happen sometimes but every morning? I feel like my time is valuable and I don't want it wasted, even ten-fifteen minutes of it. I sent out reminders about two weeks ago to be on time, that I do this as a courtesy for them and that as a courtesy to me they should be on time. Didn't really help at all.
So frustrating. Should I just give that fifteen minute window? Is that reasonable? Or should stick to my guns and expect them pretty close (within a few
min) to the time they say they will be here?

coolconfidentme 10-15-2013 04:21 AM

I would mention it to them. Something like, "Can you send me a quick text the night before you are going to be late? I usually open at 7am, but trying to work with your schedule, I'm sure you understand."

Willow 10-15-2013 04:41 AM

If I were you, and as long as you were getting paid for that time, I'd suck it up what with it being only 15 minutes.

If it bothers you to no end however (we all have our particular issues that are deal breakers), amend their contracted hours so they no longer have access to the 15 minutes they originally listed but are not using.

small_steps 10-15-2013 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by Willow:
If I were you, and as long as you were getting paid for that time, I'd suck it up what with it being only 15 minutes.

If it bothers you to no end however (we all have our particular issues that are deal breakers), amend their contracted hours so they no longer have access to the 15 minutes they originally listed but are not using.

I'm not being paid for it. One of them is CCS (state pay for Texas) and I get even less than I charge other parents), the other one pays normal rate that everyone else pays for regular hours but I've been doing it for two years for this family so it's kinda hard to change.
If I were getting paid for it I probably wouldn't complain. That's why I said I do this as a courtesy to them. It benefits me in now way at all except it keeps them here. But honestly I've had so many calls the past few weeks I could probably fill spots with kids that could come regular hours . I'm just not at that point yet :(

small_steps 10-15-2013 04:54 AM

I guess it bothers me so much because it's not just 15 minutes, when they are both late it's up to 30. Today it was 25.one parent was 15 min late and the other was 10 min. When I look at it like that it's like almost half an hour of me sitting and waiting for them...I enjoy my sleep too much to waste time lol

delferka 10-15-2013 05:11 AM

There's no way I'd open that early. You need a life of your own and time with your family. I'm 8 to 5. I've been taken advantage of in the past. Never again. You are too kind to do what you do for these people.

Brooksie 10-15-2013 05:13 AM

Hold on... You're open at 7:00 but you allow them to drop off at 5:45 and 6:30 for free?!! That's the problem right there. If they were paying for that extra time I'm sure they wouldn't be late. Right now they are taking advantage of you and you're letting them. What I would do is say that you can no longer accommodate the early drop offs without compensation for that time. My fee for early drop offs would be $5.00 for each 15 min early. If they are late with their super early drops offs they might change it so they aren't wasting that money. And you will not be so frustrated with them and probably get to sleep in a bit more. Personally, even with the extra fee I would not open that early for anyone. That's WAY too early.

MyAngels 10-15-2013 05:16 AM

Since you get up right before they get there maybe you could have them text you when they are 5 minutes away so you can sleep until then.

momofboys 10-15-2013 05:19 AM

I agree w/Brooksie - immediately I would amend your contract. I would state that since this extra time is outside of your open hours if they truly need drop-offs that early they need to pay for it out of their own pocket. I would do that or I would change the drop-off times & not allow them to drop off so early if they aren't using it.

Cradle2crayons 10-15-2013 05:21 AM

I wouldn't charge if I didn't already.

But I would write up a new contract with the times they are currently dropping off and have them sign.

I would also change my policies that if I'm opening early for a client, and they are more than 10 minutes late three times, their contract gets changed to their new drop off time.

small_steps 10-15-2013 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by Brooksie:
Hold on... You're open at 7:00 but you allow them to drop off at 5:45 and 6:30 for free?!! That's the problem right there. If they were paying for that extra time I'm sure they wouldn't be late. Right now they are taking advantage of you and you're letting them. What I would do is say that you can no longer accommodate the early drop offs without compensation for that time. My fee for early drop offs would be $5.00 for each 15 min early. If they are late with their super early drops offs they might change it so they aren't wasting that money. And you will not be so frustrated with them and probably get to sleep in a bit more. Personally, even with the extra fee I would not open that early for anyone. That's WAY too early.

Oh I completely agree. I may not mind so much if I was getting paid for it . I think $5 every 15 minutes earlier is very reasonable. I may actually implement that. That could be extra money each week and actually make me not mind doing it so much.

Brooksie 10-15-2013 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by small_steps:
Oh I completely agree. I may not mind so much if I was getting paid for it . I think $5 every 15 minutes earlier is very reasonable. I may actually implement that. That could be extra money each week and actually make me not mind doing it so much.

likethis

MCC 10-15-2013 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by MyAngels:
Since you get up right before they get there maybe you could have them text you when they are 5 minutes away so you can sleep until then.

This is exactly what I would do, and this is what I do for all my clients. I Love having a heads up when they are on their way. I just head downstairs when the first one texts they're on their way.

Familycare71 10-15-2013 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by Cradle2crayons:
I wouldn't charge if I didn't already.

But I would write up a new contract with the times they are currently dropping off and have them sign.

I would also change my policies that if I'm opening early for a client, and they are more than 10 minutes late three times, their contract gets changed to their new drop off time.

I feel for you because it drives me nuts too! I have an early arrival and I already regret doing it :(. I too roll out of bed and value my time(esp sleep time! :lol:)
I have just started doing a sign in sheet so I can keep better track of exact arrival times- for ALL my parents I am going to take the two week average arrival time and everyone will be notified - not asked- of their new contracted hours. I am tired of late drop off across the board- if they don't need me I don't want to schedule my day around that extra time-

crazydaycarelady 10-15-2013 06:54 AM

Yes, have them text you when they are 5 minutes away!