Daycare.com Forum

Daycare.com Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/index.php)
-   Daycare Center and Family Home Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Hold a Spot Until a Child Turns 2? (https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=86701)

CityGarden 07-10-2017 09:11 PM

Hold a Spot Until a Child Turns 2?
 
I only accept children 2-5 years old and have a potential dcm who came for a tour over a month ago, no word until today and is inquiring on how to secure a spot for her son when he turns 2 in November......

Since all my spots are PT I will likely have a spot open at that time when he turns 2 but at the same time what IF I fill up before then?

What is your approach on holding spots that long until a child is of age to enter your program? I require first month / last month and a registration fee to enroll. Typically first month and registration fee to hold the spot. WWYD?

Also we go on Thanksgiving Break for 1 week in November and winter break for 2 weeks in December / January (all paid) that seems like a hard time to start a new 2 year old.... thoughts?

Leigh 07-10-2017 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by CityGarden:
I only accept children 2-5 years old and have a potential dcm who came for a tour over a month ago, no word until today and is inquiring on how to secure a spot for her son when he turns 2 in November......

Since all my spots are PT I will likely have a spot open at that time when he turns 2 but at the same time what IF I fill up before then?

What is your approach on holding spots that long until a child is of age to enter your program? I require first month / last month and a registration fee to enroll. Typically first month and registration fee to hold the spot. WWYD?

Also we go on Thanksgiving Break for 1 week in November and winter break for 2 weeks in December / January (all paid) that seems like a hard time to start a new 2 year old.... thoughts?

I don't charge to "hold" a spot if I have multiple spots available. However, if I were down to one spot left, I'd start charging full price to hold that spot for a child. I only charge full rate if I am ACTUALLY holding the spot for that child. If a parent wants to take their chances on a spot being open when they're ready, that's on them. I always offer it at full price before I advertise it to others.

Ariana 07-10-2017 10:58 PM

I don't hold spots for more than a few weeks without full payment. The parents can take their chances if they do not want to pay.

As for the vacation as long as they know upfront that they are going to be happening I wouldn't worry about it.

LovetheSun 07-11-2017 12:35 AM

I was going to ask such similar questions. One of my family needs us to hold a space for 5months :confused:

You mentioned a few times that your contract is quite strict. So maybe is worth the wait if they put a large deposit?

Regarding the time off whenever I had a family start the month before our break I would have them only pay 1 week out of the 2 weeks break.

EntropyControlSpecialist 07-11-2017 05:45 AM

I run a very similar program and I will not hold a spot open for a child. If they want to wing it and see if there's an opening at that point in time then they can. I cannot guarantee that there will be. If they want to secure the spot upon it becoming available and pay the tuition until November then they're free to do that.

I'd tell them I will keep them on the waiting list to notify should a spot become available or tell them to plan to come when a pre-k child was aging out the next year. They would be free to secure THAT spot in advance without paying the tuition until that pre-k child exiting the program (either in early-late summer) left.

I've started children one week before vacations before. They wanted to ensure the spot was available so they began.

Blackcat31 07-11-2017 06:21 AM

I am a business first and foremost.

If ANY space is open and available it will be filled with a paying client or one that pays to hold it.

Neither situation warrants a discount or reduction in fees. I agree and understand that "holding" a space is a bit less work than having a child actually present but none of that is my concern really.....atleast not as much as having the space net income.

If I were in your shoes and the space was NOT currently open and available to that child I would direct the parent to my wait list. WHEN the space does become open and available for use, she can opt to PAY for it at that time. Even if her child is still not eligible to enroll (under age 2).

I simply don't understand why any business would do anything different?

Open space = full payment required

CityGarden 07-11-2017 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by Leigh:
I don't charge to "hold" a spot if I have multiple spots available. However, if I were down to one spot left, I'd start charging full price to hold that spot for a child. I only charge full rate if I am ACTUALLY holding the spot for that child. If a parent wants to take their chances on a spot being open when they're ready, that's on them. I always offer it at full price before I advertise it to others.

In general I don't want to charge a holding fee given that I have more than one spot available but what if that changes between now and say September (which I expect it will) then I would be holding this spot from September until the child turns 2 in November which would likely mean a December start date.

How do you word the part in bold for parents?

daycare 07-11-2017 08:11 AM

I would offer to add them to the wait list and you will get back to them at the next opening whenever that may be. I would let them know that you can't guarantee a spot for them.

I would contact them about a month before the opening occurs and see if they are still interested. Then at that time if they are ask for the holding fee.

there is so much that can change between now and November.

mommyneedsadayoff 07-11-2017 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by CityGarden:
I only accept children 2-5 years old and have a potential dcm who came for a tour over a month ago, no word until today and is inquiring on how to secure a spot for her son when he turns 2 in November......

Since all my spots are PT I will likely have a spot open at that time when he turns 2 but at the same time what IF I fill up before then?

What is your approach on holding spots that long until a child is of age to enter your program? I require first month / last month and a registration fee to enroll. Typically first month and registration fee to hold the spot. WWYD?

Also we go on Thanksgiving Break for 1 week in November and winter break for 2 weeks in December / January (all paid) that seems like a hard time to start a new 2 year old.... thoughts?

I would do exactly that. Then in November, they pay the last month to finish their enrollment requirements.

It doesn't matter if you have a few spots, because they could fill up tomorrow and then you would have to get back in touch and require money anyway. SO I would skip that and just tell them that if they would like to reserve the spot, it will be $$ right now and $$ on Nov 1st (or whatever day). If they would like to wait and think about it, they are more than willing to contact you later in the year to see if you still have openings.

Then they can choose to pay the money (which they will have to do regardless) upfront or wait and risk it.

Leigh 07-11-2017 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by CityGarden:
In general I don't want to charge a holding fee given that I have more than one spot available but what if that changes between now and say September (which I expect it will) then I would be holding this spot from September until the child turns 2 in November which would likely mean a December start date.

How do you word the part in bold for parents?

I would tell the parents that your goal as a business is full occupancy. Let them know that you are actively advertising to fill your openings. When you get down to one opening left you will either allow them to pay full price to hold that spot until their child can start or you will continue to advertise it as available and will not be able to guarantee a spot for their child.

CityGarden 07-11-2017 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by Ariana:
I don't hold spots for more than a few weeks without full payment. The parents can take their chances if they do not want to pay.

As for the vacation as long as they know upfront that they are going to be happening I wouldn't worry about it.

Your approach makes things so much easier!

This mom does not seem to want to risk not having a spot but also I don't want to charge her when I have multiple spots open... that just does not seem fair to me. (Not judging those who do differently though)

Potential DCM she could take the chance and I would likely have something at that time which is what I tried to gently say but but this mom seems to want to lock something in for her peace of mind. Not sure what to offer?

CityGarden 07-11-2017 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by Leigh:
I would tell the parents that your goal as a business is full occupancy. Let them know that you are actively advertising to fill your openings. When you get down to one opening left you will either allow them to pay full price to hold that spot until their child can start or you will continue to advertise it as available and will not be able to guarantee a spot for their child.

This is perfect thanks Leigh!!! Not sure I feel right about charging full price when they are not old enough to enroll but waiting until I am down to one spot makes that fair.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:39 PM.