Daycare.com Forum
1 2 3  ... Last

Daycare.com Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/index.php)
-   Daycare Center and Family Home Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Have Any of You Gotten The Vaccine? (https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=94012)

CountryRoads 01-15-2021 11:47 AM

Have Any of You Gotten The Vaccine?

My local public health called and childcare providers are being offered the vaccine this first round. I put myself down, but I'm able to call and cancel if i change my mind. Have you gotten one yet?

Michael 01-15-2021 11:56 AM

I'm in California and I haven't heard much about its availability. Just found out my friend that I sat next to on Dec 29th, for 5 hours, has been in the hospital for a week with COVID. He showed symptoms on the 3rd. I feel fine, but geez, I had to find out from a another friend that he was positive.

Cat Herder 01-15-2021 11:59 AM

I have not. It has been offered. I am going to wait until I have a couple days off later in the spring, maybe summer.

So far seven of my friends/co-workers have. Five had nothing but a sore arm, most go back next week for round two. Two had reactions (high fever, fainting, hypoxia). One required hospitalization, still there three days later. No update, today.

All of them work EMS/Fire/Police and were healthy enough to pass annual physical agility earlier this month.

CountryRoads 01-15-2021 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
I have not. It has been offered. I am going to wait until I have a couple days off later in the spring, maybe summer.

So far seven of my friends/co-workers have. Five had nothing but a sore arm, most go back next week for round two. Two had reactions (high fever, fainting, hypoxia). One required hospitalization, still there three days later. No update, today.

All of them work EMS/Fire/Police and were healthy enough to pass annual physical agility earlier this month.

That makes me nervous :ouch:

Cat Herder 01-15-2021 12:06 PM

I just checked the name on their cards, it was the Pfizer one.

Cat Herder 01-15-2021 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by CountryRoads:
That makes me nervous :ouch:

Me, too, but from what I am seeing from "friends of friends" is that most just had the sore arm.

The female with the reaction was able to go back to work after a couple days home pushing fluids, tylenol and using a spirometer. likethis

The male who had the reaction and is hospitalized has 22 years breathing housefire smoke. Take that for what it is worth. ;)

I'd just plan ahead and hydrate really well beforehand. Then plan to rest for a couple days with help available. JIC. likethis DH and I plan to stagger them so we are available to take care of each other in the case of a reaction.

DaveA 01-15-2021 12:38 PM

Because I still teach CPR/ First Aid I was eligible when DW got hers, but I passed. I’m pretty low risk- no current major health issues and work in a pretty socially isolated job. I’ll get it when things slow down a bit. It was more of a “others need it more than me” thing rather than concerns about the vaccine itself.

Josiegirl 01-15-2021 02:09 PM

I received a notice today, because I help provide care for my BIL, I'm eligible to receive the vaccine now so need to call my local hospital by the 20th to set up an appt.
The 1st shot doesn't scare me but after hearing the side effects can be worse with the 2nd shot leaves me feeling pretty apprehensive about the whole thing. I was happy to wait awhile to see how it all plays out but also don't want to miss my chance either. :(

What to do what to do.....:confused:

Annalee 01-15-2021 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
I received a notice today, because I help provide care for my BIL, I'm eligible to receive the vaccine now so need to call my local hospital by the 20th to set up an appt.
The 1st shot doesn't scare me but after hearing the side effects can be worse with the 2nd shot leaves me feeling pretty apprehensive about the whole thing. I was happy to wait awhile to see how it all plays out but also don't want to miss my chance either. :(

What to do what to do.....:confused:

I was told the first dose is the worst if you have had covid but the second dose was the worst if you have not had covid???? It's a hit or miss situation, I guess! Good luck! :)

Josiegirl 01-16-2021 03:06 AM

Originally Posted by Annalee:
I was told the first dose is the worst if you have had covid but the second dose was the worst if you have not had covid???? It's a hit or miss situation, I guess! Good luck! :)

Oh cripe :confused:

Michael 01-16-2021 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by Annalee:

I have a friend in SC that got his first shot and he said there were no issues at all.

Annalee 01-16-2021 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by Michael:
I have a friend in SC that got his first shot and he said there were no issues at all.

My niece in law had no effects with the first dose but she has not had covid. A nurse friend whom has had covid had the first dose and suffered with a high fever for a couple days. ??
I am awaiting to get my vaccine. My county doesnt receive enough doses at any time to go very far with the list.

e.j. 01-16-2021 05:14 PM

I haven't been able to get a vaccine yet but one of my brothers, his wife and my sister did get theirs. My brother and sil had no side effects. My sister said her arm was a bit sore but no worse than when she gets a flu shot. She was told to take a Tylenol before the shot and to be sure to stretch her arm here and there after to minimize any pain. She thought it was good advice that seemed to work for her.

flying_babyb 01-16-2021 05:26 PM

were eligible, Im choosing not to take it.
So:
my sister is a medic in Chicago. Shes had both doses, and is fine. 3 of her coworkers had covid like symptoms after the second shot but was fine withn in two days. The other 5 who got it the same day were fine.

Josiegirl 01-17-2021 01:48 AM

My niece received her 1st dose Friday and has just had a sore arm but also, she's never had Covid.
The scariest part is the not knowing how anything will affect a person. Plus knowing there ARE so many walking around who show no symptoms.

Aren't there any stats available for side effects from the vaccine yet? I hear the stories here and there but want to hear about a bigger picture. :( Actually what I want is somebody to look into the crystal ball and tell my wimpy self everything'll be fine. :rolleyes:

Annalee 01-17-2021 05:54 AM

My niece received her 1st dose Friday and has just had a sore arm but also, she's never had Covid.
The scariest part is the not knowing how anything will affect a person. Plus knowing there ARE so many walking around who show no symptoms.

Aren't there any stats available for side effects from the vaccine yet? I hear the stories here and there but want to hear about a bigger picture. :( Actually what I want is somebody to look into the crystal ball and tell my wimpy self everything'll be fine. :rolleyes:

I haven't heard anything major with the side effects of the vaccine. Just the temps/tired so far!?

dolores 01-17-2021 07:29 AM

It was available to me from the beginning. I was going to wait until I felt comfortable but got off the fence and got it, even though I still had my reservations. Injection site was sore for a day. 2nd shot will be next week.

Here, it became available to child care providers last week but they are already booked through April.

Blackcat31 01-17-2021 04:01 PM

My DD got her first dose before Christmas
No issues at all

She got her second dose and woke the next day at 4am with a temp of 103F and was super sick with body aches and a bad headache. By bed time that evening she felt almost normal.

She said it was worth it either way.

She got the Pfizer one

284878 01-17-2021 10:23 PM

Local health department contacted me at the end of last week. They are only scheduling appt this Tuesday 9-5. I scheduled one for dh, the questionnaire indicates that my reaction to vaccines is not considered bad enough not too get one. So I scheduled one but waiting to hear back from my doctor on if I should.

Meanwhile, we are still considering to cancel because 1. It is on a Tuesday, midweek, 2. I would have to last minute close on a new family, 3. I may not be in the condition to care for other people kids or ds

I did register with the local hospital to get approved for the vaccine. So we will see what happens.

Josiegirl 01-18-2021 01:56 AM

Originally Posted by e.j.:
I haven't been able to get a vaccine yet but one of my brothers, his wife and my sister did get theirs. My brother and sil had no side effects. My sister said her arm was a bit sore but no worse than when she gets a flu shot. She was told to take a Tylenol before the shot and to be sure to stretch her arm here and there after to minimize any pain. She thought it was good advice that seemed to work for her.

I read an article yesterday in AARP that said not to take painkillers, etc., until 6 hrs. after the vaccine because it might alter the effectiveness of the vaccine. WTH can anyone believe with different things everywhere? I certainly am not meaning you but the media, the drs., everybody has different answers or clearly does not know. :(

CenterTeacher20 01-18-2021 08:16 AM

I should be receiving mine this week or the next.

Josiegirl 01-18-2021 08:50 AM

I, too, am getting mine. Finally took the plunge, Wed. p.m.:rolleyes:

e.j. 01-18-2021 09:23 AM

I read an article yesterday in AARP that said not to take painkillers, etc., until 6 hrs. after the vaccine because it might alter the effectiveness of the vaccine. WTH can anyone believe with different things everywhere? I certainly am not meaning you but the media, the drs., everybody has different answers or clearly does not know. :(

Josiegirl, thank you for posting this! The error was mine. I re-read my sister's text after seeing your reply and realized I might have misinterpreted what she had said. I double checked with her and sure enough...she took the Tylenol after getting the vaccine.

I'm so sorry! I didn't mean to mislead anyone. I went on to look it up and read a few articles - all saying what you said in your reply above: painkillers should be taken after the vaccine; not before. That and the stretching did help my sister with the minimal pain she felt afterwards.

maytag 01-18-2021 10:54 AM

Vaccine

I got the first dose of Moderna on Jan 13th, my arm was sore if I touched it but didn't bother me to use it. I didn't take any painkillers before or after. After the vaccine I taught an hour swimming lesson so that might have helped with the arm soreness.

CountryRoads 01-18-2021 02:37 PM

I'm sure it probably varies, but I'm trying to figure out what the process is.

How long did it take? I'm trying to decide if I should just open when I get done or have dh cover for me. I keep trying to call and have left a vm, but can't get through to anyone.

It would be easier for me to just open later, but I'm getting it done Thursday and feel that it is too last minute.

Valerie928 01-18-2021 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by Cat Herder:

I wonder why the hypoxia? There is no SARS-covid in these vaccines. I would totally understand the hypoxia if there were actual virus in the Pfizer/Moderna vaccines. Allergy?

Valerie928 01-18-2021 05:05 PM

We have a shortage of vaccines here in my area. They actually canceled appointments and are not scheduling any this week.

Blackcat31 01-18-2021 05:07 PM

https://vk.ovg.ox.ac.uk/vk/sites/def...ts%20table.png

Valerie928 01-18-2021 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
https://vk.ovg.ox.ac.uk/vk/sites/def...ts%20table.png

These all make sense, the vaccine is triggering an immune response. But the hypoxia as a reaction as mentioned by Cat herder is scary to me.

Josiegirl 01-19-2021 02:23 AM

Thank you BC for sharing that chart. :)

Meeko 01-25-2021 07:04 PM

Utah is doing the vaccine right now for K-12 teachers and staff. Childcare providers have to wait until March :rolleyes:

I want mine. 60/diabetic.......wish I could get it now.

Vonnel 01-26-2021 03:25 AM

Any vaccine has some side effects, but they are not very critical and basically all people tolerate them quite easily, so you have nothing to fear.

Annalee 01-26-2021 04:59 AM

My niece-in-law had her second dose last week and said she had no effects? My other niece-in-law was scheduled as well with her vaccine doses as they work at the same hospital, but now that she is pregnant they have waited till she sees the doctor.....said she would get the vaccine just waiting to see if she can do that in the first trimester or wait till the second?

Cat Herder 01-26-2021 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by Valerie928:
I wonder why the hypoxia? There is no SARS-covid in these vaccines. I would totally understand the hypoxia if there were actual virus in the Pfizer/Moderna vaccines. Allergy?

No known allergies. He literally just felt faint and hit the floor, S/S of shock. Wife called 911, transported, hospitalized 5 days. He is still doing RT and riding a desk.

Several more of my friends have had it, now, ad he is the only severe reaction I know of.

Blackcat31 01-26-2021 06:58 AM

So vaccine roll out here has been fairly decent I think.
They've got most the medical front line workers taken care of and are now moving on to child care workers, educators, people with medical conditions and those over age 65.

This morning one my DCM's tells me that both her and her husband got their first vaccination. I asked how since they're in their mid-30ies and neither work in any field that gives them priority nor do either of them have any underlying medical conditions. :confused:

DCM tells me her MIL owns an assisted living facility and they asked to be listed as employees so they were eligible to receive the vaccine there.

I asked if they actually did work there as back up employees and she said nope. :mad: They just figured it was the easiest and quickest way to be vaccinated. :rolleyes:

That kind of entitled selfishness is astounding sometimes. :(

CenterTeacher20 01-26-2021 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by Meeko:
Utah is doing the vaccine right now for K-12 teachers and staff. Childcare providers have to wait until March :rolleyes:

Weird! In North Dakota, childcare staff are prioritized BEFORE K12. I'm only 24, but I'm getting it asap.

Cat Herder 01-26-2021 07:28 AM

Meanwhile those in charge keep tripping over their own @!*&$, here. Many, Many will not get their second dose on time, completely skewing study results. :rolleyes:

"...pharmacies across the state that received COVID vaccines gave out all of their vaccines quickly without holding any back for patients to get the second dose.... 120,000 additional doses are expected to be delivered this week but it’s not nearly enough to meet the demand....said for now, only those who fall into the Phase 1a category will be eligible to receive the COVID vaccine until more vaccines are available."

Annalee 01-26-2021 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
So vaccine roll out here has been fairly decent I think.
They've got most the medical front line workers taken care of and are now moving on to child care workers, educators, people with medical conditions and those over age 65.

This morning one my DCM's tells me that both her and her husband got their first vaccination. I asked how since they're in their mid-30ies and neither work in any field that gives them priority nor do either of them have any underlying medical conditions. :confused:

DCM tells me her MIL owns an assisted living facility and they asked to be listed as employees so they were eligible to receive the vaccine there.

I asked if they actually did work there as back up employees and she said nope. :mad: They just figured it was the easiest and quickest way to be vaccinated. :rolleyes:

That kind of entitled selfishness is astounding sometimes. :(

This stuff irks me. My son goes to trade school in a neighboring county and it's beside the health dept and he told me last week of people getting the vaccine and I pretty much told him they were probably getting tested or something as it wasn't those particular people's turn, but now I guess he was right. :eek: That's just messed up!:rolleyes:

Sunshine69 01-26-2021 07:58 AM

It is a complete joke around here to get a vaccine. Unless I have all day to wait for the website to work, I cannot find an available appointment. The closest appointment available to me when the website does work is a four hour drive.

The local news reports that people have shown up for scheduled appointments only to be turned away and some that have gotten their first vaccine don’t know if they’ll be able to get their second in time.

My clients will not be pleased when I close for a day just to get a vaccine. I doubt they’ll be very understanding if I have to take time off due to adverse reactions.

There’s some seriously poor planning in my state.

I likely won’t be getting a vaccine until there’s some evidence that the people implementing the plan have gotten their act together.

Snowmom 01-26-2021 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by Sunshine69:
It is a complete joke around here to get a vaccine. Unless I have all day to wait for the website to work, I cannot find an available appointment. The closest appointment available to me when the website does work is a four hour drive.

The local news reports that people have shown up for scheduled appointments only to be turned away and some that have gotten their first vaccine don’t know if they’ll be able to get their second in time.

My clients will not be pleased when I close for a day just to get a vaccine. I doubt they’ll be very understanding if I have to take time off due to adverse reactions.

There’s some seriously poor planning in my state.

I likely won’t be getting a vaccine until there’s some evidence that the people implementing the plan have gotten their act together.

Yikes. I hope that's not the case here.
I have my appointment this week during nap time. 15 minutes away and they say to expect 1/2 hour at the site.
Hopefully my husband won't be doing diaper changes and pick ups too! :ouch: