Daycare.com Forum

Daycare.com Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/index.php)
-   Daycare Center and Family Home Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   The Positive Thread - What Happened That was GOOD Today? (https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12375)

jen 05-20-2010 12:39 PM

BEST (daycare) Day ever!

1. It's beautiful outside!

2. We went bird watching (lol, went for a walk with a camera!) Then made bird feeders and everybody was AWESOME!

3. EVERYONE napped like little angels

4. My newbie girl couldn't be better! (we're on week 2 and I ADORE her!)

5. One kid at a field trip, my short timer-hellion children aren't here, and one little dcb left early so it is a small group

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this day!

professionalmom 05-21-2010 04:50 PM

My weekenders were scheduled for 4p - 10:30p tonight. When they got here, mom had a gallon of milk for me. She stopped at a convenient store and got cereal, but for only .02 more she could get the gallon of milk (special deal going on), so she did and brought it to me! How awesome is that?!
Then the boys (ages 5 & 7) tell me that they hate tuna and that it's disgusting. But I had tuna patties planned. I made them and had each boy taste them with the promise that if they guessed correctly, I would give them a dollar. They both thought is was chicken and loved it. Then I told them it was tuna. The 5 yr old said, "Oh, tuna is delicious!" The 7 yr old got the deer in the headlight look, like he was mad that I tricked him into liking something he didn't WANT to like. Later he said, "Those tuna patties smell great. And they taste alright." WOOHOO! I conquered my picky eaters!!

misol 05-21-2010 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by professionalmom (Post 29683)
My weekenders were scheduled for 4p - 10:30p tonight. When they got here, mom had a gallon of milk for me. She stopped at a convenient store and got cereal, but for only .02 more she could get the gallon of milk (special deal going on), so she did and brought it to me! How awesome is that?!
Then the boys (ages 5 & 7) tell me that they hate tuna and that it's disgusting. But I had tuna patties planned. I made them and had each boy taste them with the promise that if they guessed correctly, I would give them a dollar. They both thought is was chicken and loved it. Then I told them it was tuna. The 5 yr old said, "Oh, tuna is delicious!" The 7 yr old got the deer in the headlight look, like he was mad that I tricked him into liking something he didn't WANT to like. Later he said, "Those tuna patties smell great. And they taste alright." WOOHOO! I conquered my picky eaters!!

Fabulous - milk is something providers can ALWAYS use. How do you make tuna patties? I make salmon patties so I am wondering if it's the same but just substitute with tuna?

professionalmom 05-21-2010 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by misol (Post 29695)
Fabulous - milk is something providers can ALWAYS use. How do you make tuna patties? I make salmon patties so I am wondering if it's the same but just substitute with tuna?

25 ozs of tuna in water (drained)
2 c mashed potato flakes (this is the only thing I buy the flakes for)
1 sm chopped onion (I used minced onions - sorry I don't measure)
1 1/2 c milk
3 large eggs
1/2 c butter / margarine
1/2 c bread crumbs
1 teas salt

mold into a ball, flatten, very lightly butter eat side, and fry until golden.

Is it the same? I've never made salmon patties.

It's a very easy, toddler-friendly, finger food.

professionalmom 05-21-2010 08:49 PM

That gives me an idea. Should we have a recipe thread?

QualiTcare 05-21-2010 10:30 PM

i bought a sprinkler at the dollar general the other day for $6 and it's the most awesome one i've ever seen. it's a plastic octopus head, and the 8 arms are styrofoamish. you hook the hose to the plastic part and water squirts out all of the arms and they flap all over the place.

the kids LOVE it. best thing i bought...that hour! haha.

TGT09 05-22-2010 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by professionalmom (Post 29715)
That gives me an idea. Should we have a recipe thread?

I think that would be awesome!

Daycare Mommy 05-24-2010 05:24 AM

Aside from one before-schooler, the stars have otherwise aligned themselves and I'm OFF today!!! :D What am I gonna do next? I'm going to the library!!! Whooo! :lol:

tymaboy 05-24-2010 05:30 AM

Where did the weekend go? Got so much done even thow it was very muggy. I have a half day today (after a 3 day weekend) with a 4 day weekend coming up! So looking forward to it.

TGT09 05-24-2010 08:23 AM

It's an absolutely gorgeous day! Kids are only minimally fighting/bickering! We have enjoyed almost the whole morning outside! I'm thinking about doing lunch outside as well!

laundryduchess@yahoo.com 05-24-2010 10:46 AM

Huge difference!~!

I can simply not believe the difference in the attitude of my group today without the termed girl. We are getting along, sharing, not tattling. Ive not had one meltdown to deal with all day! and this is a MONDAY!! I think some times clients are like hangnails,... you are so scared to yank them off but once you do the constant reminder of them is gone and after a day or so you heal up and move on. (of course if she stops by to tell me goodmorning again I think Ill scream, lol)

TGT09 05-25-2010 08:33 AM

YAY! I get 3 hours off this afternoon to do whatever I please before my SA gets off the bus! Ahhhhh, I love it!

tymaboy 05-25-2010 08:45 AM

Little things that my DC parents do make me happy. This morning DCM called asking if it was OK to bring DCG. She's not running a temp but is cranky & drooling everywhere due to teething. We know it is teething since we can feel the tooth. I told her its fine as long as she isnt running a temp. At drop off I asked if she understood about the temp thing about how we dont know for sure if the temp would be part of the teething or if its something else. She did, I wish all parents would understand that.

tmcp2001 05-25-2010 10:39 AM

Today has been SO much better than yesterday! My two little cranky ones are not here on Tuesdays, so that helps. Plus, it was nice enough (and less humid today) that we were able to go outside for almost an hour this morning. There's just something about bubbles that makes the whole day better. :)

Oh, and nap time has gone beautifully today! Everyone went right to sleep and is still asleep! Ahh...

momma2girls 05-25-2010 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by misol (Post 29695)

I make tuna patties- i use one can tuna, cracker crumbs, milk, little onion, salt, pepper, and a little flour.

misol 05-25-2010 12:50 PM

Salmon Cakes

professionalmom, my salmon cake recipe is closer to Iowa Daycare's recipe for tuna patties.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iowa daycare (Post 29964)
I make tuna patties- i use one can tuna, cracker crumbs, milk, little onion, salt, pepper, and a little flour.

I use:
1 (14.75 ounce) can salmon, drained
1 onion
1 egg
1/2 cup bread crumbs
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons parsley
pepper
salt2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/4 cup butter
3 tablespoons olive oil

Combine all ingredients except butter and oil. Shape into four patties. Dust lightly with flour. Chill for 20 minutes. Heat the butter and olive oil over medium high heat. Cook the patties until browned on both sides, about 10 minutes. Drain on paper towels.

I think I'll just try to sub the salmon for tuna and see what happens.

Michael 05-25-2010 02:58 PM

Since you are posting about recipes I will push our banana recipes: http://banana.com/perfectbanana.html

There are some simple banana treat recipes there and I will be putting up a dozen more today if anyone is interested. :p

MarinaVanessa 05-27-2010 11:18 AM

Even though it's raining it's a good day because it gives me an excuse to turn up the heat a little bit so we all feel cozy and warm. I ran out of hot chocolate so the kiddos were a little bummed so we made Arroz Con Leche, Yum!!

Since everyone seems to be in the Recipe swapping mood I'll post mine too :D

Arroz Con Leche

Cinnamon Sticks
Uncooked White Rice
Vanilla Extract
Milk
1 Can condensed milk

Fill a large pot almost 3/4 of the way with water. Add 1 or 2 cinnamon sticks and bring to a boil. Add three cups of rice and let it cook until the ends of the rice open up. Add a capfull of vanilla extract and add milk to your preference (I don't like mine soupy where others add milk until the pot is almost full). Add the can of condensed milk and bring the heat down to a low. Stir until you bring everything almost to a boil (or it will stick) and then you're done!

Let it cool down a bit before you serve. What I love about Arroz Con Leche is that you can serve it warm on cold days like today or you can put it in the fridge and serve it cold on hot days and it still tastes absolutely delicious!!

tymaboy 05-27-2010 01:23 PM

4 Day weekend, the kids have been good today & I only have maybe 2 hours left!!

TGT09 05-27-2010 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tymaboy (Post 30316)
4 Day weekend, the kids have been good today & I only have maybe 2 hours left!!

Awesome! I'm reveling in the thought of a 3 day weekend. I have to go "babysit" my grandmother though tomorrow night but I'll enjoy it. :-) She had a knee replacement 10 days ago so I'm going to spend the night with her.

MarinaVanessa 05-27-2010 02:23 PM

I have a mom who needs to work Monday and so I won't be getting a long weekend but it's not so bad. We came to an agreement that I'd take her son on Monday (the only DC kid coming) for an extra $20 which means for that day she'll be paying $50 instead of the $30 a day she normally pays. I'll also be taking him with us to family events that day so no regular DC schedule. He's really easy to take care of so I don't mind at all and so he'll be joining us to the movies, a BBQ and out to dinner. He also has a Dr's appointment on Thursday and won't be coming which is great news to me since I have my first sonogram that day and of course there's no reimbursement for that day he'll miss. Great news to get today, I'll be watching him four days next week for $175 instead of the usual $155 for five days. Since he's the only DC kid I have in the morning (all of the other kiddos are at school) It'll just be my family and I for the sonogram. Originally I was taking him with me and my hunny was going to hold him now it'll be extra special!! And it stopped raining so we can take our walk. What a great day it is.

Lilbutterflie 05-27-2010 07:02 PM

I've had a great week! Just started 3 new siblings on Monday, but already love them! My 3 yr old DCG learned how to ride a tricycle with me yesterday, & both of her 4 yr old brothers learned how to ride the "big boy bike" (16 inch bike with training wheels) today! Still kind of a gripe, though, b/c it is obvious these kids had never ridden a bike/tricycle before! And the boys learned how to use a computer and mouse today, they each spent an hour alone on starfall.com (best educational website ever)! So sad... they've also never used a computer before.

momofboys 05-28-2010 10:23 AM

Having a great day so far! Played at the park & had a ball & all three kids are sleeping like babies.:D DH gets off work early today because of Monday's holiday. Yay!!!

AfterSchoolMom 05-28-2010 02:21 PM

I stood up for myself today!!! :D

DCP showed up at pick up time w/ no money, and left in the midst of the departure confusion. In the past I'd just wait awhile to see if they remembered, then send an email, expecting payment the next time I saw them. Today I called IMMEDIATELY afterword and reminded them that I didn't receive payment. I got a sob story, but made sure that they understood that I expected it TODAY, and they came back and brought the money!! I'm proud of myself.

Parents amaze me sometimes, though. They actually asked me if they could just bring it at pick up on Tuesday. Oh, yeah, sure you can bring it four whole days later, with no late fees, after a holiday weekend. :rolleyes:

professionalmom 05-28-2010 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AfterSchoolMom (Post 30444)

DCP showed up at pick up time w/ no money, and left in the midst of the departure confusion. In the past I'd just wait awhile to see if they remembered, then send an email, expecting payment the next time I saw them. Today I called IMMEDIATELY afterword and reminded them that I didn't receive payment. I got a sob story, but made sure that they understood that I expected it TODAY, and they came back and brought the money!! I'm proud of myself.

Parents amaze me sometimes, though. They actually asked me if they could just bring it at pick up on Tuesday. Oh, yeah, sure you can bring it four whole days later, with no late fees, after a holiday weekend. :rolleyes:

GOOD FOR YOU!!! I'm trying to grow a spine, too. It's very hard, but you have to or they'll walk all over you.

momma2girls 05-28-2010 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AfterSchoolMom (Post 30444)

Good for you!!!!! You learn very fast in this line of business to get a backbone and stick up for your self and your business!!!! have a great weekend!!!!

MarinaVanessa 05-28-2010 04:33 PM

What a great ending to a great day!! It's almost closing and my hunny just came home and gave me the greatest surprise ever!! He proposed!!

Lol it seems a little silly for me to get so excited because we've talked and talked about it and our situation is a little odd (I have a daughter by someone else, pregnant with my hunny's baby and we've been living together for almost 4 years) considering that we had decided a while back ago to wait to get married due to finances but I just can't help being giddy. My hands are shaking I'm so happy!! Hope everyone has the best holiday weekend ever!!!
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h5...rites/ring.jpg

momma2girls 05-28-2010 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marinavanessa (Post 30453)
what a great ending to a great day!! It's almost closing and my hunny just came home and gave me the greatest surprise ever!! He proposed!!

Lol it seems a little silly for me to get so excited because we've talked and talked about it and our situation is a little odd (i have a daughter by someone else, pregnant with my hunny's baby and we've been living together for almost 4 years) considering that we had decided a while back ago to wait to get married due to finances but i just can't help being giddy. My hands are shaking i'm so happy!! Hope everyone has the best holiday weekend ever!!!

congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!! Beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!

misol 05-28-2010 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa (Post 30453)
What a great ending to a great day!! It's almost closing and my hunny just came home and gave me the greatest surprise ever!! He proposed!!

Lol it seems a little silly for me to get so excited because we've talked and talked about it and our situation is a little odd (I have a daughter by someone else, pregnant with my hunny's baby and we've been living together for almost 4 years) considering that we had decided a while back ago to wait to get married due to finances but I just can't help being giddy. My hands are shaking I'm so happy!! Hope everyone has the best holiday weekend ever!!!

OMG! Congratulations MarinaVanessa!!! That ring is gorgeous.

boysx5 05-29-2010 05:36 AM

congrats how exciting

AfterSchoolMom 05-29-2010 05:49 AM

Wow, Congratulations, MarinaVanessa! That's so great, and what a beautiful ring!

professionalmom 05-29-2010 02:41 PM

Today, my hubby came home from work early and mentioned that I should call my daycare family that was supposed to come in the afternoon. I asked why and hubby said, "well, they may need to bring their beach gear." So the kids get here (1 yo girl, 5 yo boy, 7 yo boy) and we take them and our daughter (almost 2) to the beach. We had a great time even though my DD had an allergic reaction to the ragweed floating around. The only complaint from the boys was that I didn't let them go out farther (yeah right!). And my DD loved throwing wet sand at me and I ended up very soaked (in shorts, no bathing suit because none fit due to my twin pregnancy). My husband grilled when we got home and even though it was nutritious, the boys claimed that they got junk food for dinner (after all, nothing that great can be healthy right)! And the 1 year old girls ate twice what I ate!
FUN! FUN! FUN! in the SUN, SUN, SUN! If only everyday could be like this!

professionalmom 05-29-2010 02:41 PM

Congrats on the ring!!

Michael 05-29-2010 02:50 PM

Congratulations! Pretty ring.

TGT09 05-29-2010 06:48 PM

Congrats! How very exciting!

momofsix 05-29-2010 07:48 PM

Marinavanessa, congratulations!!! What an exciting time in your life right now--and what a beautiful ring! I'm so happy for you!

professionalmom 05-30-2010 09:58 AM

Vacation!!

I live 250 miles away from my family. I rarely get to see them because of my daycare schedule. I currently do not have weekday clients & my weekend family did not need me for today, so I was planning a trip to visit my family. Well, I got a new client that was supposed to start this week (Tues - Thurs). So I was scrapping the trip. Yesterday the new mom said that her DD was still in school and I would only have her 1 hr (instead of 4) a day for those 3 days. After I thought about it, it seemed crazy to miss this opportunity to see my family just so I could work 3 hours this week, so I talked to the new mom today and asked if we can just start the next week. She said, "sure, no problem." I also explained that we would be better able to get acquainted when we can start with the regular schedule. I did not think 1 hour a day for 3 days would be productive for getting to know each other because she would arrive, have a snack, clean up and only have 20-30 minutes to play, then go home. The mom agreed! Also, I asked her to ask her DD's teachers where they were at in school so I can continue with DCG over the summer. The mom loved that idea!

If the mom had any problem with it, I would have stayed home so I wouldn't lose a client. But I am SO glad she was fine with it! So, my daughter and I are on our way to visit my family! Yay!!

MarinaVanessa 05-30-2010 03:53 PM

Thank You, Thank You everybody!! Looks like all of us are having a great weekend ... thank goodness. The weather was sooo nice today that it was deffinetely a beach day and then I remembered that I don't like wet sand in my suit lol. We made it a pool day instead. Now it's time to BBQ!!!

I may have the weekend off from my DC littles but my 3 nephews ended up coming over to hang out and 2 of them spent the night last night :lol:. I swear I ALWAYS have kids here. Family day today at our house (usually at my furure MIL's) which is great. I'll just gain some extra DIL points by giving her a day off from cooking :D.

MarinaVanessa 05-31-2010 10:44 PM

Wow, I guess my weekend just keeps getting better and better. This should have started as a vent but I didn't want to ruin the weekend by complaining about it. I was afraid I'd jinx my weekend. Anyway here's how it unfolded:

Thursday: DCM of two kiddos is also kinda like family. She's my daughter's aunt on my daughters' dads side of the family (not my fiance's daughter). Anyway, she gets a little snooty because I'll be closed on Monday (duh holiday). All families know that I close and she didn't arrange alternate care. Tries to guilt trip me but I don't budge. Leaves a little huffy and puffy.

FridayComes in the morning and tells me that her mom is going to watch her kids from now on and she won't be coming back next week. I'm a little upset but I just tell her that I need it in writing and remind her that she looses her deposit and ask if she's sure she doesn't want to stay for the 2 weeks. She says "No, keep the money. You'll need it" :mad:. Hunny calls me at lunch and I mention it, he says that sucks but oh well. I call my waiting list numbers and they don't need care, no more waiting list :(. At pick-up she gives me a simple note saying this is her last day of care. Hunny comes home and proposes (after I change a dirty diaper lol) and totally cheers me up. Tells me that he mentions that I have openings to an employee of a client with 2 kiddos. Potential clients call and we do phone interview, she sounds interested. Says she'll call back.

Saturday We have a great day at the pool and when we get back I get a call from potential fam. She asks a few more questions. Says she'll call back. ok, cool.

Sunday We have a great family day at my house (rare) and BBQ. I get a call from potential fam. She wants to meet in person Monday.

Monday Family goes to the 1st showing at the movies to watch new Shrek movie in 3D. We take up an entire row and 3 more seats and have a blast.
-1:30pm, family comes over (mom, dad, daughter 2 & son 6 months). They stay until 3pm and seem to like it. 2 year-old doesn't want to leave and baby likes me and lets me play and hold him no problem. Mom says she has to go home and discuss things with husband. Hmm .. ok. Get a little nervous.
-6pm call from potential familiy ... they want to start tomorrow! I say great! :D
-7pm call from daughter's aunt (had given 2 weeks notice). She says she wants to bring kiddos tomorrow and finish her two-weeks afterall. I tell her that I already filled her spot and that they start tomorrow and that if I allow her to bring her kiddos that I'll be over capicity by 2 kids so I can't do it. Demands her deposit back. In a nice way I tell her to read her contract and that I'll be e-mailing her a copy of her written two weeks notice with the last day of care as 5/28/10 :D:D. Say I'm sorry (while smiling but sounding sincere) and say bye-bye.

How I love Karma. Looks like that's the end of my involvement with my daughter's dad's family. Good riddance.

misol 06-01-2010 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa (Post 30692)

Monday Family goes to the 1st showing at the movies to watch new Shrek movie in 3D. We take up an entire row and 3 more seats and have a blast.
-1:30pm, family comes over (mom, dad, daughter 2 & son 6 months). They stay until 3pm and seem to like it. 2 year-old doesn't want to leave and baby likes me and lets me play and hold him no problem. Mom says she has to go home and discuss things with husband. Hmm .. ok. Get a little nervous.
-6pm call from potential familiy ... they want to start tomorrow! I say great! :D
-7pm call from daughter's aunt (had given 2 weeks notice). She says she wants to bring kiddos tomorrow and finish her two-weeks afterall. I tell her that I already filled her spot and that they start tomorrow and that if I allow her to bring her kiddos that I'll be over capicity by 2 kids so I can't do it. Demands her deposit back. In a nice way I tell her to read her contract and that I'll be e-mailing her a copy of her written two weeks notice with the last day of care as 5/28/10 :D:D. Say I'm sorry (while smiling but sounding sincere) and say bye-bye.

How I love Karma. Looks like that's the end of my involvement with my daughter's dad's family. Good riddance.

THIS STORY COULD NOT HAVE HAD A BETTER ENDING!!!!:lol: