Daycare.com Forum

Daycare.com Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/index.php)
-   Daycare Center and Family Home Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Help: Afterschool Care Tips (https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27588)

legomom922 03-02-2011 12:26 PM

Help: Afterschool Care Tips

I have never done afterschool care before and now I am offering it. What advice, tips, contract help can you give me on that? I am asking for $15/day, with pick up being at 530pm, no sibling discounts, no summer care option, however, I would be available for spring break week, and school closing days, (snowdays, early release days etc) Should i require them to pay the days they do not need to come? And what about paying those days that school is closed if they do not need me? I am also asking for a 3 day min. I am new to this area of child care!

missnikki 03-02-2011 03:17 PM

I have a bulk monthly rate, that includes care from school bell until 4:30 ($100), or school bell until 6:00($190). These rates include minimum days until that cutoff time as well, but holidays/ school closures are by reservation and paid in advance, and cost 35 dollars for a max of 10 hours care. We don't have snow days, but I suppose I would offer emergency care daily rate.

I also do before school care for $100/month, for 1.5 hours max daily.

Let me know how I can help with contracts, ideas, etc....This is my area of experience.

AfterSchoolMom 03-02-2011 05:23 PM

If I'm open and they don't come on a school closing day, that's their decision, not mine. If I'm closed (like if I'm sick) I don't charge. I also charge extra for full and half days, and get that payment up front. If they don't come on a full or half day, I don't charge the extra amount, but they still pay the regular amount.

blessed mom 03-02-2011 06:53 PM

After School Rates

How do you determine your rates for after school care? We live very close to a school and I'd walk over for pick up...but do you do homework with the kids? Is that extra? Do you feed them a snack? Dinner? What does your costs include/exclude?

legomom922 03-03-2011 03:49 AM

Originally Posted by blessed mom:
How do you determine your rates for after school care? We live very close to a school and I'd walk over for pick up...but do you do homework with the kids? Is that extra? Do you feed them a snack? Dinner? What does your costs include/exclude?

I just figured I would start with that since I do charge $20 for drop in care for 3 hrs, so I just figured $15 for 2 sounded good. LOL I would give them a snack, but not dinner. No I wouldnt help with homework, but give them the space & quiet they needed. They would be here when I am getting dinner ready for my family, so I'm not going to alter my plans for this. If they want a safe haven for their kids to come and hang out for an hr or 2, fine, but thats all I'm offering.

I had a woman interested but she said she couldnt afford the $30/day for 2 kids, and she is telling me she only pays $270 a month at the ymca for 5 days a week...that sounds low to me...

legomom922 03-03-2011 03:52 AM

Originally Posted by missnikki:
I have a bulk monthly rate, that includes care from school bell until 4:30 ($100), or school bell until 6:00($190). These rates include minimum days until that cutoff time as well, but holidays/ school closures are by reservation and paid in advance, and cost 35 dollars for a max of 10 hours care. We don't have snow days, but I suppose I would offer emergency care daily rate.

I also do before school care for $100/month, for 1.5 hours max daily.

Let me know how I can help with contracts, ideas, etc....This is my area of experience.

$100 a month for 5 days a week? That sounds way too low to me. I was hoping to get at least $50 a week, for trying for $75 wk.

What type of things do you have in your contract for this?

AnythingsPossible 03-03-2011 04:47 AM

I get $100.00/month for my after school care. After getting off the bus, they are here for roughly an hour, so it is 5.00/hr, much more then my regular clients pay. If you can get 15/day, go for it, but I wouldn't have any clients for after school if I charged that much.
Next year I'm eliminating my after school spots. The one thing I did with my rates that I regret is that I made it so that the 100/month was contracted for the school year. When they were here for Christmas and spring break, they didn't pay anymore, it was still the 100.00.

missnikki 03-03-2011 06:29 AM

I'm at a school, on the campus, and I open before/ after school hours. I offer the program as blocks of time:

3-4:30pm $100/month, includes minimum days until 4:30
3-6:00pm $190/month, includes minimum days until 6:00
6:30-8:00am $100/month, minimum days charged hourly
unlimited b/a $225/month, includes minimum days until 6:00
holiday/ full no-school days $35/day prepaid, reservations required in advance (no emergency school closures here)
$6 hourly rate is like a parking garage: one hour minimum and increments in .5 hours

Hourly rate is charged for kids who haven't paid for a block of time in advance for the month but show up, kids who stay past their pickup time, and kids who come on minimum days without buying into a plan. etc...

Late pickup fees apply after 6:00pm, separate from plan fees.

I offer homework supervision, no tutoring, correcting, or checking if it is done. I will answer their self-directed questions, and help them think it through. I 'encourage' them, and report to parent what they claimed they had finished or whatnot.

Our schedule:
3:00 dismissal, check in and free play
3:15-3:30 Snack served
3:30-4:00 homework club/ inside quiet activity
4:00-5:00 homework club optional/ outside play
5:00-6:00 inside activity

My contract has a lot more than that, those are the highlights.
6:00 closing

blessed mom 03-03-2011 01:26 PM

I like the way you do your afterschool program...simular to what I'm thinking but I have never done it so...grey area for me. Thanks for posting...you got me thinking now!

AnythingsPossible 03-03-2011 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by missnikki:
I'm at a school, on the campus, and I open before/ after school hours. I offer the program as blocks of time:

3-4:30pm $100/month, includes minimum days until 4:30
3-6:00pm $190/month, includes minimum days until 6:00
6:30-8:00am $100/month, minimum days charged hourly
unlimited b/a $225/month, includes minimum days until 6:00
holiday/ full no-school days $35/day prepaid, reservations required in advance (no emergency school closures here)
$6 hourly rate is like a parking garage: one hour minimum and increments in .5 hours

Hourly rate is charged for kids who haven't paid for a block of time in advance for the month but show up, kids who stay past their pickup time, and kids who come on minimum days without buying into a plan. etc...

Late pickup fees apply after 6:00pm, separate from plan fees.

I offer homework supervision, no tutoring, correcting, or checking if it is done. I will answer their self-directed questions, and help them think it through. I 'encourage' them, and report to parent what they claimed they had finished or whatnot.

Our schedule:
3:00 dismissal, check in and free play
3:15-3:30 Snack served
3:30-4:00 homework club/ inside quiet activity
4:00-5:00 homework club optional/ outside play
5:00-6:00 inside activity

My contract has a lot more than that, those are the highlights.
6:00 closing

Is this a program that the school offers and hired you to run, or something you devised and contract with the school for the use of space? Our town is in desperate need of after school care and I have been racking my brain trying to think of something to present to the schools and recreation district.