Daycare.com Forum

Daycare.com Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/index.php)
-   Daycare Center and Family Home Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   4 Month Old And Napping Issues (https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56399)

slpender 12-10-2012 07:27 AM

4 Month Old And Napping Issues

I have a child that just enrolled about a week ago and I am having some napping issues with him. They allow him to sleep on his stomach at home. Not happening at my house. I put in a room by himself right off my main childcare room in a swaddle me on his back with music on. They say he take a paci at home. He won't take it here my guess is when they put him on his stomach it keeps the paci in his mouth. When I lay him down he screams. How long should I let him cry for and how long will it take to break this. He is very tired already when I lay him down.

Thanks
Sharon

melilley 12-10-2012 08:05 AM

Hi. While I haven't had experience with this in a home setting yet, I have had experience in a center setting. Where I worked, we had between 8 and 12 babies. I would say about 1/4 of them slept on their stomachs at home and the parents would want them to do the same at daycare. We refused. We would consistently lay them on their backs in the crib. A lot of the time they would cry, we would give them about 5-10 minutes and then go get them. If I could, I would rock them until they fell asleep and then go lay them down, sometimes they would sleep, sometimes not. I couldn't always rock them again so I would place them in a bouncy, swing, or they would have floor time. Many times they were so tired they would fall asleep because they were so tired! Of course I had to move them to their crib only for them to wake up and start the cycle over again..lol Sorry, I keep rambling on...Anyways, I would keep trying to lay the baby in the crib, do it every time he is sleepy. In my experience, sometimes the consistency would help them get used to it, sometimes not especially if the parents let them sleep on their stomachs at home. :)

Blackcat31 12-10-2012 08:09 AM

I don't think you can let him CIO out when he is under 6 months of age but I am not 100% sure.

I would require that the parents start teaching him how to nap properly. If they are just going to lay him on his back and not give any thoughts to how you can and can't do things at daycare, then I wouldn't keep him.

It is so important that parents understand that providers MUST follow certain ruls when it comes to infant/child safety and if they aren't going to partner up with you and work together to get through this then you only have two choices:
  • Let baby cry/scream or
  • Term him.

Sorry, I wish I was more help but really there aren't many other options for providers when parents are working in the opposite direction than you are.

Heidi 12-10-2012 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I don't think you can let him CIO out when he is under 6 months of age but I am not 100% sure.

I would require that the parents start teaching him how to nap properly. If they are just going to lay him on his back and not give any thoughts to how you can and can't do things at daycare, then I wouldn't keep him.

It is so important that parents understand that providers MUST follow certain ruls when it comes to infant/child safety and if they aren't going to partner up with you and work together to get through this then you only have two choices:

• Let baby cry/scream or
  • Term him.

Sorry, I wish I was more help but really there aren't many other options for providers when parents are working in the opposite direction than you are.

I would go with a modified CIO-going in every 7-10 minutes and saying soothingly "it's time to sleep...shh" pat tummy...leave

I would, however, make sure that parents are aware that you HAVE TO lay him on his back. If he cries more because of it, then that's just the way it is.

IN a few more weeks, he'll be rolling over by himself anyway, and choosing his sleep position. My 4mo just started that, and half the time I'm finding her on her tummy now when she wakes up. Another few weeks, and she'll be able to roll both ways. thank you!