Daycare.com Forum

Daycare.com Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/index.php)
-   Daycare and Taxes (https://www.daycare.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Employee Not Clocking In (https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=65576)

daycare 10-01-2013 01:04 PM

Employee Not Clocking In

Tom or if anyone knows....

I have 3 employees. All of them are required to clock in and out daily. One of my employees is having a hard time doing so. Often 3-4 days after the fact they will tell me they forgot to clock out on time or clock out at all. I will have to go back and make the necessary changes.

I do have a written weekly schedule that I check it against, but often I cannot recall if they worked more or less than what they are actually scheduled for.

What consequence can I enforce? Of course I don't want to be stuck over paying, but I also don't want to under pay them either.

Any advice would be great.

Hunni Bee 10-01-2013 05:28 PM

I would dock them an hour's pay, as an inconvenience fee for having to go back and do this. I would also have them sign something like this:

I, Employee Name, agree to the following:

*I know how to clock in and out.
*My paycheck will be docked one hour's pay for every instance of me failing to clock in or out, for the inconvenience of Ms. Daycare having to backdate my timesheet.
*If I should fail to clock in or out, Ms. Daycare will recreate my timesheet to the best of her ability, which may or may not reflect actual hours worked.

These policies are effective October 2, 2013.

Employee signature
Ms. Daycare signature
Date

Michael 10-01-2013 05:33 PM

If they don't clock in, they don't get paid. Only clocked in hours. That is what you have it for. You are making concessions for poor business behavior.

Hunni Bee 10-01-2013 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by Michael:
If they don't clock in, they don't get paid. Only clocked in hours. That is what you have it for. You are making concessions for poor business behavior.

I was going to say that, but I didn't know if you could legally not pay them if they worked.

daycare 10-01-2013 06:01 PM

Thanks so both of you.

I thought about saying if you don't clock in I won't pay you, but was not sure if I could legally do that.

Since they work right by my side most of the time, I would feel bad not paying them at least something for the hours they did work. Normally they would work more hours than less, so I guess I could say if you don't clock in, you will only be paid or the time you were schedules. Of course this is if they even come in, which they always do.

What do you guys think?

Michael 10-01-2013 06:06 PM

Maybe the days they don't clock in, they get a half day pay. I am sure once you enforce this, you will not have the problem again.

daycare 10-01-2013 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by Michael:
Maybe the days they don't clock in, they get a half day pay. I am sure once you enforce this, you will not have the problem again.

Hi btw. I've been pretty Mia from the form? Super busy with school.

I love that idea. That is what I am going to do.

Michael 10-01-2013 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by daycare:
Hi btw. I've been pretty Mia from the form? Super busy with school.

I love that idea. That is what I am going to do.

Have you checked your Private Messaging? I've left several PM over the last few weeks but have not heard back from you. Hope all is well.

daycare 10-01-2013 06:50 PM

No I have not I wil have to do that tomorrow. I have class in 5 min.

Thanks so much Michael. Talk with you soon

TomCopeland 10-02-2013 07:36 AM

Docking pay

Originally Posted by daycare:
Tom or if anyone knows....

I have 3 employees. All of them are required to clock in and out daily. One of my employees is having a hard time doing so. Often 3-4 days after the fact they will tell me they forgot to clock out on time or clock out at all. I will have to go back and make the necessary changes.

I do have a written weekly schedule that I check it against, but often I cannot recall if they worked more or less than what they are actually scheduled for.

What consequence can I enforce? Of course I don't want to be stuck over paying, but I also don't want to under pay them either.

Any advice would be great.

Unfortunately, you cannot dock pay of your employee. See this article: http://smallbusiness.chron.com/docki...ing-38326.html

What can you do? I would give the person a written warning and tell them that if their behavior continues it will lead to termination. I would also try to help them by reminding them on a regular basis. If the behavior continues give them a final warning and when it happens again, terminate them.