Daycare.com Forum

Daycare.com Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/index.php)
-   Daycare Center and Family Home Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   2yo On Whole Milk? Food Program Issues? (https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25507)

MG&Lsmom 01-14-2011 10:13 AM

2yo On Whole Milk? Food Program Issues?

My 2yo dcb is still on whole milk and will not drink anything less. DCM keeps bringing whole for him. I have the food program lady coming on Tuesday. I didn't think I could serve whole to over 2 group, but now can't find that info. What's your experience?

FWIW, he's a skinny tall kid who could use a few more lbs of meat on him. But whole milk isn't the way to go about it. He has a very limited diet, mom serves junk. He's also on WIC and they let her buy whole still. I decided to do the food program so I can start getting him to eat something other than nuggets and mac n cheese that mom sends. Just like he doesn't clean up toys at home but does here, he'll eat what I cook when I can't stand to feed him another microwave mac n cheese meal. Bleh.....

nannyde 01-14-2011 10:19 AM

Bleck

I do whole organic here for all ages. The Food Program requires it betwen one and two and allows it for the other age groups.

Missani 01-14-2011 10:43 AM

I also have a 2.5 year old on whole milk. She does need it. She eats quite a bit and will eat anything I serve her (eats healthy foods here and at home), but she is still underweight and her pediatrician has instructed that she still be on it. It has never been an issue.

MG&Lsmom 01-14-2011 10:47 AM

oh good. For some reason I thought he couldn't have it. I don't mind serving it if it's ok. I do however mind unnaturally orange chemical cheese laced noodles. ;)

ammama 01-14-2011 10:54 AM

I think whole milk is better for all ages. I try to buy whole foods whenever possible. I'd love to be able to serve the kids real whole milk (raw milk) but i'm pretty sure that's illegal.

Cat Herder 01-14-2011 10:59 AM

Whole milk here, as well. Required with all meals.;)

melskids 01-14-2011 11:09 AM

idk, here, the day they turn two you have to switch them to 1% or skim. anything else needs a DR.'s note. maybe the FP is different in different areas?

MG&Lsmom 01-15-2011 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by melskids:
idk, here, the day they turn two you have to switch them to 1% or skim. anything else needs a DR.'s note. maybe the FP is different in different areas?

This is what I'm wondering.

And it was the MA WIC food list that says no whole after age 2. Skim or 1% only unless prescribed by a pediatrician. That's probably what I'm remembering.

dEHmom 01-15-2011 08:57 AM

Sorry I'm butting in a little bit.

We don't have food programs here, but I'm just curious why it is after age 2 no whole milk? Is it just because it's too high in fat?
I mean when my kids were between 1-5 yrs of age, I didn't buy 2 different types of milk. While the younger was still drinking whole, we all drank the whole milk.

I'm not offering any advice , I'm just curious why it would matter.

Me personally, I don't like milk, but if I do have it, I prefer the whole milk. Weird I know, but anything less then 3.25% I find it does not agree with me and goes right thru EWWW :S

Abigail 01-15-2011 02:33 PM

I personally only like skim or 1% milk with a pink lid. :D
I've tried other milks and most people I know drink 2% and it's thick....I guess I'm really use to the water-down skim! Our daycare serves all children eating regular food (around 2 years old and up) the same milk which is 2%. They don't drink much anyways, but are always offered seconds if they want it. Can you call your food program? Sometimes, even creating a local post asking for advice on craigslist will get you good responses if you don't want to straight up call and ask. LOL