Daycare.com Forum

Daycare.com Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/index.php)
-   Daycare Center and Family Home Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Facebook Venting about DCK (https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20784)

Unregistered 10-11-2010 08:37 AM

Facebook Venting about DCK

This irritates like crazy. There is nothing I can really do about it. I guess I'm gossiping in a way (to a bunch of stranger on the internet that I've never met;)), but I'm furious for this child & their parents.

I know someone who has a daycare (unlicensed, but that is really besides the point). They are constantly talking about DCK on their personal facebook page...which is completely public...absolutely no privacy settings at all. They state the days itineraries, some times meal plans, craft plans, advertise openings...whatever throughout the day. They also post children's pictures.

I find this all extremely unprofessional but here is why I'm upset.

They apparently started a new toddler within the last few weeks. This provider posted an issue they have with the DCG's behavior on FB asking for advice from their "friends".

They specifically said they had not talked to parents about it. I don't think the parents are "friends" on her FB, altho some of her other parents are.

Would you do this?! Or am I overreacting? FWIW, I do not care for this person anyway. We used to be friends in real life...but stuff happens & we aren't anymore. I'm not on her friends list but my family is. They often come to me & say "So & So said blah blah on FB last night". I've asked them not to tell me anything about this person, as I don't want to know...but I can't stop the words from coming out of their mouth.

Lianne 10-12-2010 04:59 AM

I post about our day on facebook but in a very general way. I post things like 'Off to the apple orchard today!' or 'Fun morning with the little monkeys' or 'Toilet training two boys this week. Let's hope I still have my sanity by Friday'. I never use their names, even if I'm posting about a specific child but I will use a first initial, 'Gotta love A's style of dress this morning with her sundress, rubberboots and toque!' My daycare parents are able to figure out who A is and chuckle knowing her personality

I would never post poorly or in frustration about a child or parent. I don't think it's professional at all. I have posted one or two pictures of my daycare kids but only with their parents' direct permission each time.

I did set up a separate facebook account specifically for my daycare. It's set with the highest security controls and only daycare parents and close family are invited as friends. It's a great way to share pictures or exchange daycare news & information.

Lianne 10-12-2010 05:13 AM

Double post, sorry!

BentleysBands 10-12-2010 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by Lianne:
I post about our day on facebook but in a very general way. I post things like 'Off to the apple orchard today!' or 'Fun morning with the little monkeys' or 'Toilet training two boys this week. Let's hope I still have my sanity by Friday'. I never use their names, even if I'm posting about a specific child but I will use a first initial, 'Gotta love A's style of dress this morning with her sundress, rubberboots and toque!' My daycare parents are able to figure out who A is and chuckle knowing her personality

I would never post poorly or in frustration about a child or parent. I don't think it's professional at all. I have posted one or two pictures of my daycare kids but only with their parents' direct permission each time.

I did set up a separate facebook account specifically for my daycare. It's set with the highest security controls and only daycare parents and close family are invited as friends. It's a great way to share pictures or exchange daycare news & information.

ditto for me, i have certain picture albums for daycare set to only certain ppl/parents to see.

i wouldnt go so far as this person u mentioned only because i have my parents on FB

mrs.meg 10-12-2010 05:44 AM

That will catch up to her eventually, very unprofessional, to say the least!

My4SunshineGirlsNY 10-12-2010 06:10 AM

I agree, unprofessional. I have a facebook and I am very careful at what I post. Sure there are times I would love to just let it all out, but no way on facebook, too many people on there and I even have mine set to private for only my friends to see my wall.

That's why I come here and let it all out at times, makes me feel better.

I have only posted general things such as the kids have a nice day off from school...nothing is ever negative or revealing any of the daycare kids pictures on there.

Lilbutterflie 10-12-2010 06:23 AM

I agree that it's unprofessional. If I were a parent, I would be upset if my kid's pictures were up on facebook with no privacy settings. And posting about a specific child's problems is definitely inappropriate.
I have a separate website on shutterfly were I post all of my daycare pics and menus and activities. Only the parents are subscribed to the website, so no one else can view anything.
However, there have been instances where my daycare kid's pictures have shown up on FB. On my daughter's first day of kindergarten they are in the pictures b/c they were there! I do have the most strict privacy settings and I check them often to make sure they haven't been changed or overriden by any FB programs. And I am friends with the dck parents on FB, so I tag them when their child happens to show up in my family pics. (o:

Blackcat31 10-12-2010 06:44 AM

This has gotten so bad in the area where I live that we, licensed providers, can NOT even have families who are currently enrolled in our child cares (friends or not) on facebook pages. It goes against the data privacy and confidentiality laws, not to mention how completely unprofessional it is. Does the family this person is gossiping about know they are being discussed on facebook? What a shame! We care for and love these families in our care and it is completely uncomprehensible to me why someone would bash a family so publicly when they haven't gone directly to the family if there is a problem. If I were that family, and I found this out, I would be pulling my children out of that care immediately!

SilverSabre25 10-12-2010 07:29 AM

Yes, unprofessional. I don't have dcparents as friends on my facebook and I only talk in generalities. I might vent sometimes, like "omg, these kids are driving me nuts today!" or "wow, everyone's here today and yet there's no fighting!" or whatever. I don't post pictures on facebook. I do post them on my website, but all the children's parents have signed photo release forms that allow me to do this. I never mention names, either.

TomCopeland 10-12-2010 07:49 AM

Facebook

Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
This has gotten so bad in the area where I live that we, licensed providers, can NOT even have families who are currently enrolled in our child cares (friends or not) on facebook pages. It goes against the data privacy and confidentiality laws, not to mention how completely unprofessional it is. Does the family this person is gossiping about know they are being discussed on facebook? What a shame! We care for and love these families in our care and it is completely uncomprehensible to me why someone would bash a family so publicly when they haven't gone directly to the family if there is a problem. If I were that family, and I found this out, I would be pulling my children out of that care immediately!

I don't believe the state of Minnesota has forbidden pictures or names of families on Facebook, even with their permission. I've heard this from other providers in the state, but I think that the state is saying they strongly recommend against it, not that they prohibit it. I haven't seen anything in writing on this point, so if you see something in writing let me know.

DanceMom 10-12-2010 07:52 AM

I think if you discuss a daycare child on facebook its just plain stupid..your asking for that family to find out and pull their kids from your care.

The only thing I have ever said on FB - is " Must be a full moon" :lol:

Other than that I say nothing about daycare !

laundryduchess@yahoo.com 10-12-2010 08:39 AM

I have dc parents as friends on fb,.. I also only post positive things on there,... like,.. Holy Cow,.. I sat on the floor and was covered in day friends giving me high fives today! Or,... I bought giant bubbles for my dayfriends,... and wow they are loving them!!

MommyMuffin 10-12-2010 09:11 AM

I just want to say something. I hate facebook.:mad: I enjoy verbal communication wtih friends and family. It is great for families that live far away though! I cant explain it but facebook gives me a bad feeling. I would never post pictures of daycare children unless is was secure. I like the idea that you have only parents that can see your daycare facebook...that is kind of neat.

laundryduchess@yahoo.com 10-12-2010 09:21 AM

I have to add that I post no pics of dc kids online.

Originally Posted by laundryduchess@yahoo.com:
I have dc parents as friends on fb,.. I also only post positive things on there,... like,.. Holy Cow,.. I sat on the floor and was covered in day friends giving me high fives today! Or,... I bought giant bubbles for my dayfriends,... and wow they are loving them!!

Blackcat31 10-13-2010 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by MommyMuffin:
I just want to say something. I hate facebook.:mad: I enjoy verbal communication wtih friends and family. It is great for families that live far away though! I cant explain it but facebook gives me a bad feeling. I would never post pictures of daycare children unless is was secure. I like the idea that you have only parents that can see your daycare facebook...that is kind of neat.

I'm not a huge fan of facebook either! I don't understand why ppl seem to think everyone else cares about everything they are doing/thinking! My hubby calls it "Social Masturbation!" For ppl who have to stroke their egos! LOL!!:lol: