Daycare.com Forum

Daycare.com Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/index.php)
-   Daycare Center and Family Home Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Am I a Sitter? (https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=88521)

Homebody 02-07-2018 02:50 PM

Am I a Sitter?

I got a fb message from someone and I'm not quite sure how to respond, as I don't know if I should be offended or just laugh.

The message goes like this: "Hi, I'm going to be looking for a sitter soon as mine is retiring. You have posted on someone else's post and I was wanting to ask you some questions. Are you a sitter?"

I don't feel like I am a sitter considering all the training I've had to do and keep doing for my license. To me a sitter is someone who goes to someone's house and watches kids on occasion.

Would you even bother correcting her? Then again maybe she is looking for a sitter for her home, but I don't think this is the case.

amberrose3dg 02-07-2018 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by Homebody:
I got a fb message from someone and I'm not quite sure how to respond, as I don't know if I should be offended or just laugh.

The message goes like this: "Hi, I'm going to be looking for a sitter soon as mine is retiring. You have posted on someone else's post and I was wanting to ask you some questions. Are you a sitter?"

I don't feel like I am a sitter considering all the training I've had to do and keep doing for my license. To me a sitter is someone who goes to someone's house and watches kids on occasion.

Would you even bother correcting her? Then again maybe she is looking for a sitter for her home, but I don't think this is the case.

You can but be prepared to hear it all the time. It is one of my biggest pet peeves. :mad:

Ariana 02-07-2018 03:04 PM

I would ignore the question and simply state “I am a licensed daycare provider and have x amount of experience working with children. What hours are you looking for etc etc.”

BrynleeJean 02-07-2018 07:47 PM

OOO i hate that :mad: even my daycare families would call me a "sitter" like "hey i told so and so i know of a great sitter for their little girl"

I'm thinking man if you think these are sitter prices i should charge more. :mad: GOOD NESS that upsets me

BUT i always ignored it with a smile on my face :ouch:

DaveA 02-08-2018 03:19 AM

It can get annoying. Anymore I'm at the point where it's "Pay me on time, follow my policies, don't be a headache and you can call me whatever the @#&* you want to.":cool::)

284878 02-08-2018 04:20 AM

Originally Posted by Ariana:
I would ignore the question and simply state “I am a licensed daycare provider and have x amount of experience working with children. What hours are you looking for etc etc.”

Yes reply like this.

Baby Beluga 02-08-2018 04:50 AM

Exactly this likethis

FWIW, some of my families also refer to me as a "sitter." It doesn't bother me much. Call me whatever you want. Just follow my rules and pay on time and we're good.

Sometimes I think it's simply because parent don't know the different between babysitters, nanny's in-home daycares, in-home preschools, etc. I have a mom now who kept calling her ex provider a nanny. She was convinced the provider was a nanny and not an in home provider.

Homebody 02-08-2018 06:26 AM

Thanks everyone! I replied similar to what Ariana had suggested. She asked for our location, and so I told her. Haven't heard back, so I guess we aren't in a convenient location for her.

From now on I will try not to take it personally. Like some of you have said as long as they pay me and follow the policies then that's what matters most.

Ariana 02-08-2018 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by Homebody:
Thanks everyone! I replied similar to what Ariana had suggested. She asked for our location, and so I told her. Haven't heard back, so I guess we aren't in a convenient location for her.

From now on I will try not to take it personally. Like some of you have said as long as they pay me and follow the policies then that's what matters most.

I don’t think people know that it is a degrading term to be honest. Most people think of anyone who watches kids as “sitters”! A friend of mine called me a sitter once and
I told her why I hated that term. She apologized and said she had no clue. There are a lot of clueless people out there ;)

Homebody 02-08-2018 10:43 AM

I don’t think people know that it is a degrading term to be honest. Most people think of anyone who watches kids as “sitters”! A friend of mine called me a sitter once and
I told her why I hated that term. She apologized and said she had no clue. There are a lot of clueless people out there ;)

I completely agree! :)

Mom2Two 02-08-2018 11:55 AM

I tend to let it go when people say that.

But to answer the email, I would state that you are a licensed daycare provider and start asking your questions about days/hours care needed, age of child etc.

If it's one of those people who wants some version of: "I'm looking for care on Mondays with alternating Fridays" etc etc, then advise them to look for a sitter or a pt time nanny.

HappyEverAfter 02-08-2018 06:32 PM

This is what I would do too.

Josiegirl 02-09-2018 03:43 AM

It used to bother me but there are more important things to worry about. And just think of all the times you or I may have inadvertently called a custodian a janitor or an administrative assistant a secretary. As times and political correctness change, so do the terms. Sometimes we're slow to keep up and don't realize the difference until we get corrected.;)

Homebody 02-09-2018 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
It used to bother me but there are more important things to worry about. And just think of all the times you or I may have inadvertently called a custodian a janitor or an administrative assistant a secretary. As times and political correctness change, so do the terms. Sometimes we're slow to keep up and don't realize the difference until we get corrected.;)

That's a very good point!