Daycare.com Forum

Daycare.com Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/index.php)
-   Daycare Center and Family Home Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   A hard two weeks!!!! (https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=59858)

Country Kids 02-15-2013 07:05 AM

A hard two weeks!!!!

I am thankful its Friday. I am thankful its a Friday of a THREE DAY WEEKEND!!!!

Oh, my goodness! I try really hard not to complain or vent about the childcare but these last two weeks I really question doing childcare anymore. I have bad times, remember them but the older I get it seems to be more and more. I was always the one with tons of kids around me, buying treats, teaching Sunday School, being at my kids schools, voluntering to do things, etc. Now, I pray to get through each day and still be able to smile. I have also noticed that I struggle even doing things with my own children which really makes me very sad.

I had my sub come in for a couple hours yesterday. Upon leaving I was informed that all the children had pretty bad behavior while she was here. I have noticed this the last couple times she has been here. Another time she was here, she had to call me and ask how to get a child to lay down for nap. This had never been a problem before! I could tell how worn she was after only being here 2 hours. This is also a lady that raised 6 boys and was a tough mom. I have never had an issue with children listening to her and now, oh my goodness. I have a feeling she will start wanting to help less and less-:(

This last week I have actually been falling asleep for the night about 15 min. after my last one leaves. My husband wakes me up after about 30 min. so I can eat, shower, and if I need to do something I can or I would be sleeping every night till the next morning. I have sleep issues anyway and been to several doctors and they never find anything but it has never been this bad. Its almost like I'm just so mentally tired that my brain just literally justs down after the last one leaves. Almost like my mind isn't being challenged enough through the day with maybe adult things, but with 3/4 year old language, and constant whining, fighting, tattling, etc. I notice I actually crave more adult type things then I ever have in my life and being just alone=its about 50/50 on what I want to do.

I really love my job but noticing I love the teaching part but really tiring of having to do everything else anymore. Doing the cooking, cleaning, paperwork, and discipline. I think the behavior is what is the most trying part anymore. The last two weeks ALL my parents have even told me how trying the kids have been and we are at a loss of what to do. They all feel for me having to deal with it during the day, knowing I don't have just their child but 5 more. I have some awesome parents!!!! Not one child forgot to bring me a little something yesterday-happyface

Also, I'm starting to find it hard keeping up with my own kids. I'm exhausted by the end of the day and just can't seem to find the energy to keep up with everything they need also or keep track of stuff. Like I asked my son to do something and when I looked over he hadn't done it. He had already left for school so now its something I need to do. Believe me he will hear about it but if I wasn't busy doing something with the childcare I could have followed through making sure it was done. I notice this more and more and so do my kids. They will ask me for something after school or before and usually I have so much going on with the childcare it goes on the back burner.

No, downsizing isn't an option for the moment. Maybe its just the weather, but we have had a pretty mild winter so I'm not sure. What I am sure about is I'm very happy for a 3 DAY WEEKEND!!!!

Anyway, sorry this has become longer then I thought it would. I just needed to talk/vent with some friends who know the challenges of this job. Knowing you guys are here everyday to talk to helps keep me going!

THANK YOU-happyface:hug:happyface:hug:happyface:hug:

coolconfidentme 02-15-2013 07:15 AM

CABIN FEVER..., It must be! Mine are all being very testy lately. I had a sub come in & the kids walked all over her. She had a daycare for 10 years too. I think kids will try to get away with crud when a fresh face is in the house. Whether it be a kid, parent, assistant or sub.

happyface TGIF.., fosho!!! happyface

Country Kids 02-15-2013 07:34 AM

Great-my first two drop offs had extremely rough evenings last night and these are 2 of the 4 that are my hardest. Just great! It was so rough even the siblings were letting me know-:eek: So far they are carrying the behavior over into today-sigh.

The one parent looked exhausted. The sad thing is these parents are very strict and don't let the kids get away with stuff. This child goes to kindy next year (will be an interesting time I'm sure).

NeedaVaca 02-15-2013 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by Country Kids:
I am thankful its Friday. I am thankful its a Friday of a THREE DAY WEEKEND!!!!

Oh, my goodness! I try really hard not to complain or vent about the childcare but these last two weeks I really question doing childcare anymore. I have bad times, remember them but the older I get it seems to be more and more. I was always the one with tons of kids around me, buying treats, teaching Sunday School, being at my kids schools, voluntering to do things, etc. Now, I pray to get through each day and still be able to smile. I have also noticed that I struggle even doing things with my own children which really makes me very sad.

I had my sub come in for a couple hours yesterday. Upon leaving I was informed that all the children had pretty bad behavior while she was here. I have noticed this the last couple times she has been here. Another time she was here, she had to call me and ask how to get a child to lay down for nap. This had never been a problem before! I'm confused, I thought you always complain about your non napping kids?I could tell how worn she was after only being here 2 hours. This is also a lady that raised 6 boys and was a tough mom. I have never had an issue with children listening to her and now, oh my goodness. I have a feeling she will start wanting to help less and less-:(

This last week I have actually been falling asleep for the night about 15 min. after my last one leaves. My husband wakes me up after about 30 min. so I can eat, shower, and if I need to do something I can or I would be sleeping every night till the next morning. I have sleep issues anyway and been to several doctors and they never find anything but it has never been this bad. Its almost like I'm just so mentally tired that my brain just literally justs down after the last one leaves. Almost like my mind isn't being challenged enough through the day with maybe adult things, but with 3/4 year old language, and constant whining, fighting, tattling, etc. I notice I actually crave more adult type things then I ever have in my life and being just alone=its about 50/50 on what I want to do.

I really love my job but noticing I love the teaching part but really tiring of having to do everything else anymore. Doing the cooking, cleaning, paperwork, and discipline. I think the behavior is what is the most trying part anymore. The last two weeks ALL my parents have even told me how trying the kids have been and we are at a loss of what to do. They all feel for me having to deal with it during the day, knowing I don't have just their child but 5 more. I have some awesome parents!!!! Not one child forgot to bring me a little something yesterday-happyface

Also, I'm starting to find it hard keeping up with my own kids. I'm exhausted by the end of the day and just can't seem to find the energy to keep up with everything they need also or keep track of stuff. Like I asked my son to do something and when I looked over he hadn't done it. He had already left for school so now its something I need to do. Believe me he will hear about it but if I wasn't busy doing something with the childcare I could have followed through making sure it was done. I notice this more and more and so do my kids. They will ask me for something after school or before and usually I have so much going on with the childcare it goes on the back burner.

No, downsizing isn't an option for the moment. Maybe its just the weather, but we have had a pretty mild winter so I'm not sure. What I am sure about is I'm very happy for a 3 DAY WEEKEND!!!!

Anyway, sorry this has become longer then I thought it would. I just needed to talk/vent with some friends who know the challenges of this job. Knowing you guys are here everyday to talk to helps keep me going!

THANK YOU-happyface:hug:happyface:hug:happyface:hug:

Maybe it's time to switch some kids out and replace them with new ones? You sound like you have a really tough group of kids by all of your previous posts :(

Country Kids 02-15-2013 07:59 AM

Yes, they are the hardest non nappers I have ever had but its now starting to be all behaviors.

Believe me, I would have to get rid of at least 7 kids and that would be a big financial loss. It would take a long time to build it back up and we can't chance that.

Also, I have the BEST parents and that is another reason I haesitate to do anything like terming. They work with me on issues, pay on time all the time, never early/late and I have only had one ever say anything about time off and then karma bit them and nothing has ever been said again. Even my husband says with the best parents we have we should all be able to figure something out on the behavior of these kids. I have had one or two with behavioral issues in the past but not the whole lot-that is what totally puzzles me-:confused:

bunnyslippers 02-15-2013 08:05 AM

Hang in there, toots! I find February and March to be the worst of the year, for myself and the kiddos. It is just boring, long, and dreary! I am completely burned out as well, but I know that is 2 more months, things will start to be brighter.

I am closed for the next week - school vacation. I seriously can't wait to close today...and today is DRAGGING.

You can do this...just keep plugging away!

NeedaVaca 02-15-2013 09:48 AM

I'm not suggesting you term them all at once, I would start advertising and when you have a new client that wants to start term the toughest DCK, keep advertising and continue terming kids that are out of control until you have a good group again. I have not had to term many kiddos thank goodness but the ones I have termed, wow, such a difference in the day to day dynamics. The relief I felt was immediate :)