Daycare.com Forum

Daycare.com Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/index.php)
-   Daycare Center and Family Home Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   dcb-mean to animals (https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49531)

daycarediva 08-08-2012 11:19 AM

dcb-mean to animals

DCB (the one that I hate to say ANYTHING negative to his Mom because she is HARSH) hit my 10 year old cat with a plastic golf club today. No reason, she just walked by him outside. He was laughing as he did it, laughing when I talked to him, thought it was hilarious. My cat LOVES LOVES LOVES the kids, has never been aggressive or mean and tolerates them ALL wonderfully. DCB is already not allowed to touch her because he is just wayyy too rough & Mom was mad at him (and me-because I was 'ostracizing' him) for enforcing this rule. I just don't want the liability of him hurting her, me not being RIGHT THERE and her scratching him (first time for everything, especially when an animal is concerned, I won't take ANY chances). Even after explaining that to Mom she still thought it was unfair and that I should not allow ANY of the kids to pet the cat. BTW- this is the cat that sits with us in the middle of the circle in the morning, that will cozy up next to a kid having a rough day, that will sit under the table waiting for scraps, so nobody touching her is not really an option, she won't 'allow' that. But she avoids dcb like the plague. It isn't the first time he has hit her (obviously, because of the no touch rule) What would you do/say to Mom? Dh wants me to term them before he really hurts her.

daycarediva 08-08-2012 11:21 AM

No option not to say anything-his older sister was right there and saw it all. ;)

Former Teacher 08-08-2012 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by daycarediva:
Dh wants me to term them before he really hurts her.

Cruelty to animals (regardless of how slight) is an immediate termination in my book.

I know you don't want to say anything to the mother because she is harsh. But YOU are your cat's voice.

You need to say something.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Blackcat31 08-08-2012 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by Former Teacher:
Cruelty to animals (regardless of how slight) is an immediate termination in my book.

I know you don't want to say anything to the mother because she is harsh. But YOU are your cat's voice.

You need to say something.

Good luck and keep us posted.

I agree.....why is this child still in your care? Especially since mom isn't even on the same page as you...

BTDT....will NEVER do that again. If parents aren't working to support me and I them, then it isn't working.

If anyone swung purposely at one of my pets...they would be picked up from my child care within 30 minutes and not allowed to return....especially since the child in question has been having trouble already with following the rules.

daycarediva 08-09-2012 06:24 AM

I spoke to Mom last night, I actually asked if she could stay for a few and talk, and it went really well. We both agreed that it isn't acceptable and that if it ever happens again that would be his last day, immediate termination. She was apologetic and understanding. She teared up about how much dcb (and she) love him being here and love me, so she absolutely does not want to lose me. likethis

Blackcat31 08-09-2012 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by daycarediva:
I spoke to Mom last night, I actually asked if she could stay for a few and talk, and it went really well. We both agreed that it isn't acceptable and that if it ever happens again that would be his last day, immediate termination. She was apologetic and understanding. She teared up about how much dcb (and she) love him being here and love me, so she absolutely does not want to lose me. likethis

Awesome! It is always in the best interest of EVERYONE involved to identify the issue, address it and come up with a solution in case things don't change.

Sounds like you did all of those things. Hoping DCB will be better about it now. :)

((((hugs)))) to your cat for dealing.... ;)