Daycare.com Forum

Daycare.com Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/index.php)
-   Daycare Center and Family Home Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   How Often Is To Often To Get A Sub? (https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36719)

Nellie 11-05-2011 03:29 PM

How Often Is To Often To Get A Sub?

I have a condition that requires me to go in to the doctor once a month. In the past I have always been able to work it out with schedules and the doctor had one day a week that he was open late. Well the doctor recently changed his hours and got rid of the late night once a week, but is opening earlier. When I can get one of the earlier appointments it only effects 2 of the children. One for 45 minutes to an hour an another for 15 to 30 minutes. My sister normally does my subing and will do this for me. All the parents don't mind and always have been grateful that I get a sub for appointments. The last 2 appointments I have had have been in the early am. One of the families that it may affect has a rotating schedule. 3 weeks he is on Am's and the other is on PMs. They give me his schedule in advance. When he works Pm's he occasionally switches or picks up overtime. He always asks ahead of time. One of the times he wanted to switch was when I had an early am appointment. I told him that I had an appointment at X and would be back at X. My husband is subbing for me that day and he will watch DCB. He said never mind I'll just bring him in the afternoon. This month I gave him a heads up that I had an appointment that day and my husband would be subbing for me. He is scheduled for Pm's. He replied with oh I'll just turn it down if I get asked. He is the child that an early am appointment would effect him by 15 to 30 minutes. I just received the next couple of months of schedules and he isn't working any PMs for 2 months. I really would rather have my husband sub for me these early ams. The other family that it would effect by an hour doesn't come on Wednesdays, but my sister is only available on Tuesdays. It would be more convenient for me to get my husband to do it on Wednesday when it would only effect the one family by 15 to 30 minutes. It is just doesn't make sense to me to have my sister get up early,pack up her kid, and drive out for an hour. In addition my husband is home anyways at that time in the winter.

Now I found out that I need dental work done. I'm going to need a sub for that too. I'm afraid that the families are already going to think that once a month is too much now add on another appointment once a month for the next 3 to 4 months. I have the first dental appointment scheduled and let the families know that my sister will be filling in for me, and every one was great. The family that I'm afraid feels uncomfortable leaving there son with my DH sent a thank you email for being so dependable(he will only be here for 10 to 15 minutes with my sister). These dental appointments will effect most of the families, but I'm concerned that the 2 families that are effected by the monthly am subbing might start to feel that this is too much. How do you guys feel about it. For the early am appointments should I go with my sister or my husband. My husband is the second oldest from a family of 9. His dad left when he was 15 and he helped raised the younger. He is great with the kids and in January and February and part of March he doesn't work much and is here helping with the DC anyways. Sorry so long. My contract does name my husband as one of the subs. My contract says that I can take up to 3 weeks of vacation/days off. I typically take one week off where I am closed. I also don't think that I should have to count days that I find a replacement as a day off.

SilverSabre25 11-05-2011 04:22 PM

You're right; you shouldn't have to count that as a day off because you are open. It's not like you're taking off a couple hours to go drinking with your girlfriends--you have the once a month appointments for your condition (which you can't help, I assume ;)) and now something else came up--the dental work. Perfectly reasonable to me!

If the parents feel like you needing to take care of your body and your health is not acceptable, then you are probably better off with someone else anyway.

Can you schedule the dental appointments for the same days as your other appointments, at back-to-back times, so you need more like a half-day replacement once a month?

daycare 11-05-2011 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by Nellie:
I have a condition that requires me to go in to the doctor once a month. In the past I have always been able to work it out with schedules and the doctor had one day a week that he was open late. Well the doctor recently changed his hours and got rid of the late night once a week, but is opening earlier. When I can get one of the earlier appointments it only effects 2 of the children. One for 45 minutes to an hour an another for 15 to 30 minutes. My sister normally does my subing and will do this for me. All the parents don't mind and always have been grateful that I get a sub for appointments. The last 2 appointments I have had have been in the early am. One of the families that it may affect has a rotating schedule. 3 weeks he is on Am's and the other is on PMs. They give me his schedule in advance. When he works Pm's he occasionally switches or picks up overtime. He always asks ahead of time. One of the times he wanted to switch was when I had an early am appointment. I told him that I had an appointment at X and would be back at X. My husband is subbing for me that day and he will watch DCB. He said never mind I'll just bring him in the afternoon. This month I gave him a heads up that I had an appointment that day and my husband would be subbing for me. He is scheduled for Pm's. He replied with oh I'll just turn it down if I get asked. He is the child that an early am appointment would effect him by 15 to 30 minutes. I just received the next couple of months of schedules and he isn't working any PMs for 2 months. I really would rather have my husband sub for me these early ams. The other family that it would effect by an hour doesn't come on Wednesdays, but my sister is only available on Tuesdays. It would be more convenient for me to get my husband to do it on Wednesday when it would only effect the one family by 15 to 30 minutes. It is just doesn't make sense to me to have my sister get up early,pack up her kid, and drive out for an hour. In addition my husband is home anyways at that time in the winter.

Now I found out that I need dental work done. I'm going to need a sub for that too. I'm afraid that the families are already going to think that once a month is too much now add on another appointment once a month for the next 3 to 4 months. I have the first dental appointment scheduled and let the families know that my sister will be filling in for me, and every one was great. The family that I'm afraid feels uncomfortable leaving there son with my DH sent a thank you email for being so dependable(he will only be here for 10 to 15 minutes with my sister). These dental appointments will effect most of the families, but I'm concerned that the 2 families that are effected by the monthly am subbing might start to feel that this is too much. How do you guys feel about it. For the early am appointments should I go with my sister or my husband. My husband is the second oldest from a family of 9. His dad left when he was 15 and he helped raised the younger. He is great with the kids and in January and February and part of March he doesn't work much and is here helping with the DC anyways. Sorry so long. My contract does name my husband as one of the subs. My contract says that I can take up to 3 weeks of vacation/days off. I typically take one week off where I am closed. I also don't think that I should have to count days that I find a replacement as a day off.

I am in the same boat as you, except I have to go weekly. I always go during nap time and my sub is my husband, so The parents are aware and they know that I usually go on thrusday or friday.

If I had to have dental work done that would require me to miss more daycare hours, I would find a dentist that is open on the weekends or later in the evening.

But that is just me.

I have stated in my PHB that if I am open, regardless if a sub is running the daycare or I am running the daycare, they will still pay if they bring their child or not.

lpperry 11-05-2011 05:50 PM

I get a sub at least once a month for a few hours for appointments. I have appointments, my kids have appointments, sometimes my kids and/or I are sick. I let my parents know at the interview meeting that I rarely close if I am sick or have an appointment--I have subs that can work for me.

I feel bad if I have to get a sub a few times in one week or two weeks in a row, but I would feel worse if I had to make my families find alternate care. I think having a sub is a great thing. This week, I had a sub for 2 hours on Wednesday for an appointment for my daughter, then had one all day on Thursday and Friday because my son was sick and then my daughter and I caught it.

In a center daycare, there are different people in the rooms quite a bit--I don't think those workers feel guilty about using their sick days or taking off for appointments. It's the same as any job--people need time off for certain things.

wdmmom 11-05-2011 06:21 PM

Most parents want their providers to be in optimum health. And, in order to be healthy, doctors appointments are required. We all work longer hours than doctors so finding a sub is par for the course. As long as you notify the parents with at least a weeks notice, I don't see it being a problem. If you are having someone there to cover you and it doesn't affect their schedule, no problem.

Hopefully your parents will be understanding.

laundrymom 11-06-2011 03:53 AM

I say take your appts when it Is most convenient for you. Use the sub that works for you. The parents either understand or not but you must not allow their issues to affect your health. Don't let his decisions affect you. You have to take care of you first. (((())))

sharlan 11-06-2011 07:37 AM

Having a sub a couple times a month is not asking too much.

Ask the father if he has an issue with your dh subbing. Maybe he feels awkward because he doesn't realize that your dh is capable of handling the kids. Remind him that your dh helps out during the winter months.

Mandy_Jane 11-06-2011 08:13 AM

To tell you the truth, unless you told me at our interview that your dh would be one of your subs, then I too would feel uncomfortable with that situation. When my girls were little, I would not have been comfortable with a man I didn't know VERY well, changing their diapers. That's just me. And actually, if you had told me your dh would be a sub at our initial interview, I may not have chosen you for that reason. So I'm betting it's your dh that is causing the issue. As they don't seem to mind when your sister is the sub. You may just have to ask your sister to do the early morning hours, or risk losing this family.

Edit to say:
Just realized that your contract DOES list your dh as a sub! So really they don't have a right to be mad over that now. They should have thought about that before they signed the contract.

sharlan 11-06-2011 09:49 AM

In CA, you're allowed to use a sub 20% of the time. In a 10 hr day, you'd be allowed to use a sub for 2 hours. You can also use it cummulative, 10 weeks a year.

TBird 11-07-2011 06:02 AM

In my state we are regulated as to how often we can use our subs (I forget how many hours it is) but as long as your husband is cleared by your state & listed as your sub (either in your original contract or in an addendum to the parents) then they should A-OK with it.:Sunny:

Nellie 11-07-2011 07:34 AM

Thanks for all the help. I have never read anything about the amount of time for a sub in WI, but will look into it. I did sit down with the mother this morning and explained the situation(to an extent). I mentioned that I would use my sister if they were more comfortable with it as long as I was able to. I will no longer take any families before 6 so that I can take care of my condition and I won't have to worry about this besides for the occasional dentist appointment. She said that they had no problem with my DH. They know on Wednesdays that they are the only ones here at 5:30 am. They said they were trying to be respectful of our family. I only charge by the hour for the time they are here. She said that they felt rude by switching on a day where I had something planned. She also said that if her husband was scheduled for an am shift that week and I needed to make a Dr appointment on one of those days that he'd switch to a pm shift on that day. She said that I bend over backwards to accommodate there needs, that this is the least they can do for me. She that they feel bad when I get a sub for only their child. They feel bad, but not as guilty when I have a sub and there are a few other dc kids here.