Daycare.com Forum

Daycare.com Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/index.php)
-   Daycare Center and Family Home Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Help Please! Need Advice On New Baby's First Day! (https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36564)

nvazquez417 11-02-2011 12:43 PM

Help Please! Need Advice On New Baby's First Day!

I got an email on Sunday night from a family looking to place their 5 month old in care ASAP. On Monday I called the number they sent me but it was wrong, so I emailed her back with mine and she called me back. We set up a meeting for this Wednesday (today), but she called me yesterday morning to see if she could just place him in care that same day! I was not ready so I told her today would be better, she accepted. I told her everything she needed to bring today, including my check prorated for this week and full payment for the next, she was perfectly fine with that and agreed to everything. Dad dropped off the little boy this morning and told me he had some teeth coming in so he was drooling alot and had a runny nose. Dad left, and the baby seemed to be doing very well, all smiles, but I noticed he was really congested (green boogers), and had a bad cough (chest), def. not from teething. My daughter has asthma and the smallest cold will flare it up, so for the most part I make sure my kids do not come sick. I checked his bag and there was a bunch of clothes, some food, and diapers, no wipes (I asked for them), and no check! The baby did get a bit fussy during the day, but overall he is pretty easy to handle. When I went to change his diaper, he had only peed, but it was the worst smell ever! That poor kid smelled like he had not been bathed in a long time! I also noticed his clothes were kind of messy and his socks were dirty. I called mom and told her he was having an ok day, and to please leave the check in the afternoon with my mom, she subs while I go to school in the afternoon. I made no big deal of the check not coming in the morning like I asked her, and she did not mention it either. I have not met mom in person yet, she sounds really nice over the phone, but I can't shake the feeling that there is something fishy about this situation. I just took a 65% pay cut 2 weeks ago when two of my daycare kids were pulled out after mom lost her job, so I really need the money. I am not sure what to do, advice from experienced daycare providers is needed, thank you!:confused:

nannyde 11-02-2011 02:39 PM

Sounds like they got booted from a day care or excluded due to illness.

NEVER take a kid without fully interviewing the parents.

Be up front with them about cleanliness. Tell them he has to come bathed and clean every day. Tell them they MUST pay in advance and it is their responsibility to make sure you have the money.

Ask specifically what provider he has gone to and get her number. Ask them to sign a permission slip for you to talk to her. You need a reference.... way too many red flags.

Cat Herder 11-02-2011 03:54 PM

I agree with Nannyde. :ouch:

Test the theory....tell her you have to send him home sick.

Enforce your illness policy as you would for ANY OTHER client. :Sunny: