Daycare.com Forum

Daycare.com Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/index.php)
-   Book Club - Reviews / Suggestions (https://www.daycare.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Favorite Authors or Genres? (https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=71347)

Josiegirl 05-31-2014 01:25 PM

Favorite Authors or Genres?

My favorite is Jodi Picoult, she writes such controversial and thought-provoking books. But I'm becoming a huge Elizabeth Berg fan, easy reads and I don't have to overthink. :)

I'm also trying to add to my collection of New England, specifically Vermont books. I love New England! So if you have suggestions in that respect, I'd love to hear them.

nothingwithoutjoy 05-31-2014 05:05 PM

Chris Bohjalian writes about Vermont, with a lot of thought-provoking issues like Jodi Picoult.

Bookworm 06-01-2014 03:28 PM

Psychological Thrillers, Mysteries, Horror, and some Comedy (depends on the author. Stephen King, Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child, Lee Child (no relation), Catherine Coulter, Joe Hill, James Patterson, Dennis LeHane, and Carolyn Haines just to name a few.

My3cents 06-10-2014 10:54 AM

I like stories that are true to life. They really happened. I have a hard time relating to pretend, fantasy, fiction other then an express of art form or kids using imagination. I lose interest because my thoughts are based real. I will think to myself that could never happen so I will have no interest in finishing the book. I am probably like this because I have a vivid imagination. I can go off in thought and be in another world all by myself easily.

I often have a hard time to finish a book.

I am a strange little person if I do say so myself---lol:lol:

Meyou 06-10-2014 10:57 AM

I will sound like a giant nerd if I answer this question. lol

Josiegirl 06-10-2014 11:38 AM

Oh Please, Nerds are my favorite people!!

I love Chris Bohjalian! I'd forgotten about him. :)

Blackcat31 06-10-2014 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by Meyou:
I will sound like a giant nerd if I answer this question. lol

Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
Oh Please, Nerds are my favorite people!!

I love Chris Bohjalian! I'd forgotten about him. :)

I was thinking the same thing as Josiegirl...

I was also thinking "I bet I've read most of whatever you (Meyou) is going to post..." :ouch: :)

craftymissbeth 06-10-2014 11:41 AM

My favorite genres bounce around quite a bit. Right now I'm reading 11/22/63 by Stephen King (I'm bound and determined to finish it.. I really like it, but it's kinda starting to drag on), Ruby by V.C. Andrews (for the umpteenth time), and Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (for the 2nd time). I love the Crossfire series by Sylvia Day :o

I'm trying to find a really good post-apocalyptic book that doesn't necessarily have to do with zombies or machines taking over.

playground1 06-10-2014 11:53 AM

There's nothing I won't read but historical biographies are my choice. I love southern gothic, really anything about the South, and horror. I like Terry Pratchett, Maya Angelou, Alice Walker and of course...

Game of Thrones. lovethislovethislovethis

Bookworm 06-10-2014 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by craftymissbeth:
My favorite genres bounce around quite a bit. Right now I'm reading 11/22/63 by Stephen King (I'm bound and determined to finish it.. I really like it, but it's kinda starting to drag on), Ruby by V.C. Andrews (for the umpteenth time), and Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (for the 2nd time). I love the Crossfire series by Sylvia Day :o

I'm trying to find a really good post-apocalyptic book that doesn't necessarily have to do with zombies or machines taking over.

Try The Passage and The Twelve by Justin Cronin. It's a very interesting take on the Vampire Apocolypse. The third book, City of Mirrors, comes out later this year. If you read e-books, try Bookbub. They have thousands of books for free or cheap. Usually 99 cents to 2.99.

Tdhmom 06-10-2014 02:56 PM

I just got caught up on the post about "someone I don't know living in my home" and it reminded me of the 44 series by jools Sinclair. I loved these books! There's 9 of them so far, from what I have read on her blog she's writing more. But they're fantastic. It's about a girl that dies and comes back to life after 44 minutes and can now see ghosts.

craftymissbeth 06-10-2014 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by Bookworm:
Try The Passage and The Twelve by Justin Cronin. It's a very interesting take on the Vampire Apocolypse. The third book, City of Mirrors, comes out later this year. If you read e-books, try Bookbub. They have thousands of books for free or cheap. Usually 99 cents to 2.99.

Awesome, thanks! I use Oyster so I'll see if they're on there.

Annalee 06-10-2014 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by My3cents:
I like stories that are true to life. They really happened. I have a hard time relating to pretend, fantasy, fiction other then an express of art form or kids using imagination. I lose interest because my thoughts are based real. I will think to myself that could never happen so I will have no interest in finishing the book. I am probably like this because I have a vivid imagination. I can go off in thought and be in another world all by myself easily.

I often have a hard time to finish a book.

I am a strange little person if I do say so myself---lol:lol:

I like true story movies, books, etc., too! :D

Bookworm 06-10-2014 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by Annalee:
I like true story movies, books, etc., too! :D

I love true crime especially Ann Rule.

Blackcat31 06-10-2014 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by Bookworm:
I love true crime especially Ann Rule.

likethis

Read every single book.

lovethis her!

Meyou 06-11-2014 04:13 AM

Ok, you asked for the nerd and I'm bringing her. I am a sci fi and fantasy geek with a touch of fact based historical fiction thrown in (preferably with a sci fi twist). I also love anything post apocolyptic or steampunk which technically falls under sci fi but I feel like they deserve their own shoutout. I've passed the nerd on to my children to a degree that they're a little odd now. My 15 year old has already booked her baby cousin for trick or treating so she can dress him up as a hobbit while she and her friends are other LOTR characters. :lol:

Favorite authors:

James Rollins
Michael Cricton
Robert Jordan
Sara Douglass
Eion Colfer
Diana Gabaldon
Ken Follett (historical writing not thrillers)
Phillipa Gregory
Jack Whyte

KristineHappyMom 07-06-2014 11:26 PM

My favorite author is Gabriel Garcia Marquez! I like how he combines magic with reality

Jennie M. Martin 07-21-2014 11:48 PM

Authors

My favorite authors are:
Ray Bradbury
Kurt Vonnegut
Charlotte Bronte
Robin McKinley
I also like J.K Rowling, Heather Brewer, and Elizabeth Scott.

DaveA 07-22-2014 04:20 AM

Most of my reading is "how to's", especially on cooking, gardening/ homesteading, and bladesmithing or knifemaking.

If I'm reading to relax I tend to keep it simple: Louis L'Amour, Vince Flynn, and Brad Thor.

Play Care 07-22-2014 04:24 PM

Right now my favorites are:

Susanna Kearsley
Kate Morton
Kimberley Freeman

I just read The Rosie Project, by Graeme Simpson and enjoyed that.

Though I love Janet Evonovich's Stephanie Plum series when I need a laugh.

Play Care 07-22-2014 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by Meyou:
Ok, you asked for the nerd and I'm bringing her. I am a sci fi and fantasy geek with a touch of fact based historical fiction thrown in (preferably with a sci fi twist). I also love anything post apocolyptic or steampunk which technically falls under sci fi but I feel like they deserve their own shoutout. I've passed the nerd on to my children to a degree that they're a little odd now. My 15 year old has already booked her baby cousin for trick or treating so she can dress him up as a hobbit while she and her friends are other LOTR characters. :lol:

Favorite authors:

James Rollins
Michael Cricton
Robert Jordan
Sara Douglass
Eion Colfer
Diana Gabaldon
Ken Follett (historical writing not thrillers)
Phillipa Gregory
Jack Whyte

I loved the first two books in Gabaldon's series. But she really need to find a happy conclusion for Jamie and Clare.i need sunshine and rainbows :D

nannyde 07-23-2014 03:39 AM

Maya Angelou is my current main squeeze.

I have all of her books in first edition signed. It was so tempting to sell right after her passing because they went for crazy money but I want to pass them on to my brilliant niece when I pass.

I started re reading them. I love that she had her hand on each book. When I was a Nanny the family I worked for were friends so I had her home address and number. Each time a new book came out I sent to her and she signed and returned. I sent a check for postage each time but it was always returned. She was the bomb!

sugar buzz 07-28-2014 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by nannyde:
Maya Angelou is my current main squeeze.

I have all of her books in first edition signed. It was so tempting to sell right after her passing because they went for crazy money but I want to pass them on to my brilliant niece when I pass.

I started re reading them. I love that she had her hand on each book. When I was a Nanny the family I worked for were friends so I had her home address and number. Each time a new book came out I sent to her and she signed and returned. I sent a check for postage each time but it was always returned. She was the bomb!

What an awesome story! I'm so glad that you didn't sell them. I don't think that anything you could have bought would have been worth as much.

drseuss 08-15-2014 05:47 AM

The book I am reading right now takes place in Vermont. Two Rivers by T. Greenwood. I'm devouring it! T.Greenwood has a few good books out.

Haven Kimmel and Jeannette Walls are two good ones.

I am hung up on Pillars of the Earth, because I thought I would hate it and ended up loving it. Just starting that one for the second time.

I love memoirs, historical fiction if it is done well, books about hiking-fiction or non- (also reading A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson), books that depict characters transitioning between two major chapters in their lives, small town life, things like that.

I have enjoyed Jodi Picoult also. Plain Truth is one of my favorite JP books. Change of Heart was good too.

Cat Herder 08-15-2014 05:56 AM

Dr. Robin Cook lovethis