Daycare.com Forum

Daycare.com Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/index.php)
-   Daycare Center and Family Home Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Napping Issue (https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53034)

Hunni Bee 10-15-2012 07:39 PM

Napping Issue

I feel dumb for even posting this, I had naps down to a science at my other center ;)

I have a 4 year old boy in my group, the only kid in the class of 20 who does not nap. He is ridiculously disruptive at nap...like you cannot look away from him. He thrashes around on his cot, yells, moves furniture, calls the other children's names, you name it. When he succeeds in waking all the friends around him up, he then gets them to join in. If I ask him to stop, the NEXT SECOND he is doing it again. Over and over, the entire time.

If you're wondering why I don't just solve this, here are the options I don't have, due to regulations or program policy, or just not-going-to-work:

-Letting him get up. If any of the kids are off their mat, I am out of ratio.

-Moving him. Small room, there is literally nowhere to put him.

-Giving him a "quiet" activity. There is no such thing as a quiet activity with him, and he has no interest in books, coloring, etc.

-Speaking to his parents - we like to deal with most problems in-house.

We've tried having him lose some playtime, but he couldn't care less. Sternness works for about 3 minutes. I could really care less if he sleeps, but the other kids need their nap and I don't like speaking to a kid over and over.

We're working on a plan with him, but honestly it isn't one I see really working and I wanted to get some other ideas if possible. Thanks ladies lovethis

My3cents 10-16-2012 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by Hunni Bee:
I feel dumb for even posting this, I had naps down to a science at my other center ;)

I have a 4 year old boy in my group, the only kid in the class of 20 who does not nap. He is ridiculously disruptive at nap...like you cannot look away from him. He thrashes around on his cot, yells, moves furniture, calls the other children's names, you name it. When he succeeds in waking all the friends around him up, he then gets them to join in. If I ask him to stop, the NEXT SECOND he is doing it again. Over and over, the entire time.

If you're wondering why I don't just solve this, here are the options I don't have, due to regulations or program policy, or just not-going-to-work:

-Letting him get up. If any of the kids are off their mat, I am out of ratio.

-Moving him. Small room, there is literally nowhere to put him.

-Giving him a "quiet" activity. There is no such thing as a quiet activity with him, and he has no interest in books, coloring, etc.

-Speaking to his parents - we like to deal with most problems in-house.

We've tried having him lose some playtime, but he couldn't care less. Sternness works for about 3 minutes. I could really care less if he sleeps, but the other kids need their nap and I don't like speaking to a kid over and over.

We're working on a plan with him, but honestly it isn't one I see really working and I wanted to get some other ideas if possible. Thanks ladies lovethis

This kid has you in the palm of his hand.

Speaking to the parents- Sometimes this will help. They talk to the child and know that this child is not listening at daycare. Nothing wrong with this. Team work. If you called them at home for every little thing, yes that would not be cool. They might have insight that can help you.

I don't get the ratio thing- You are either out of ratio or not. The child is still in the room with you.

I would pull up a chair, not give him anything to play with and tell him he doesn't have to sleep but he does have to be quiet so that his friends can sleep. Don't keep talking to him and every time he gets up, set him back on the cot or mat. The other kids will tune him out. Don't give him any emotion, except to put him back if he gets up and maybe a firm No.

He doesn't understand lost play time for something that happened 2-3 hours ago. That doesn't work. He only cares about the here and now. Put him back on the mat and tell him no.

Make sure this kid has plenty of exercise and outside time so that come rest time he is truly tired out.

He might be phasing out of nap time and that is ok, but he has to learn that he has to let his friends rest, because they are tired.

Best- its is not easy and will take a few weeks for him to get it down, maybe longer.

My3cents 10-16-2012 05:03 AM

pull up a chair for you, not for the child. This way he knows you are right there watching him.

Take away his blanket and tell him he can have it back when he ir quiet. I have tried this before and it is a fifty fifty, some kids works well, some just don't seem to care.

Hunni Bee 10-16-2012 05:45 AM

Thanks.

That's normally what I would've done, but we cannot touch them in a disciplinary situation at all (unless they're completely out of control). We can only use words.

The pull up a chair thing is basically what I do, and blandly say "no" and "turn this way" a million times. It doesn't affect him, he immediately goes back to it.

Blackcat31 10-16-2012 09:21 AM

Can you talk with him and see if you can't set up some sort of plan of action and not only a consequence but maybe a reward for compliance?

I think at 4 yrs old he is old enough to know what the expectations are for nap time as well as understand consequences. If he has a hand in setting up this type of behavior plan, he may be more willing to follow it.

Studies show that kids are more apt to follow rules when they are given some imput or say in them as well as the consequences of breaking them.

If all else fails, have you tried maybe giving him headphones and some audio books?

I use them all the time and the kids have to lay still in order to hear the sound (I keep it lower on purpose) and they usually fall asleep right away if they are laying so still but in this child's case since he doesn't nap, I would give him the headphones singularly and let him listen to a story or two while he is learning to lay still and quiet himself.

cheerfuldom 10-16-2012 10:04 AM

ugghhh...sorry OP, no suggestions here. This type of thing is why i would never work at a daycare center. they dont allow much options at all, if any, for kids that will just not cooperate. you cant let him get up and you cant nap him anywhere else so what is left? he is running the show at this point.

My3cents 10-16-2012 10:51 AM

I think you should bring this to your director and ask them how to handle this situation. Ask them to show you how to fix this issue.

Taking a child by the hand and putting them back on a cot or mat is not allowed?

It seems like the children are running the show and you don't have much that you can do to remedy this.

I would try explaining to the child that he is keeping his friends that are tired up and that you need him to be quiet at this time.

Good luck- make sure when you figure this one out you come back and let us all know what worked:o

Hunni Bee 10-17-2012 04:21 AM

I will. Thanks for your help.

BC- I will try the behavior plan and have him help create it. Thanks!