Daycare.com Forum

Daycare.com Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/index.php)
-   Daycare Center and Family Home Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Question...Need Suggestions! (https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=82292)

ashley9427 04-07-2016 11:33 AM

Question...Need Suggestions!

I am wanting to (in a way) "start over" if that makes sense... I am printing a new handbook, new rules, I just NEED to. LOL... I figure this is the perfect time to put in place a more structured curriculum. My question is: What are your "must have" art supplies? Things you can't live without? Favorite craft ideas? Activities? Websites? Any info/help is appreciated! Basically I am putting together a shopping list of craft/art supplies, but don't want to go overboard and buy a bunch of items that I love but will never use. I do that alot. :o Or I will go out and spend $40 on one art project...and never use the remaining materials... There has got to be a better way! :lol:

Snowmom 04-07-2016 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by ashley9427:
I am wanting to (in a way) "start over" if that makes sense... I am printing a new handbook, new rules, I just NEED to. LOL... I figure this is the perfect time to put in place a more structured curriculum. My question is: What are your "must have" art supplies? Things you can't live without? Favorite craft ideas? Activities? Websites? Any info/help is appreciated! Basically I am putting together a shopping list of craft/art supplies, but don't want to go overboard and buy a bunch of items that I love but will never use. I do that alot. :o Or I will go out and spend $40 on one art project...and never use the remaining materials... There has got to be a better way! :lol:

I have big artists here. I have a cabinet dcks have access to all the time. It has pull drawers that have all kinds of paper: white copy paper, construction paper, foam boards, patterned, stickers, etc. It also has a couple cups full of crayons and colored pencils. The thing I pull out most often would be Do-A-Dots. I don't know why, but I think those are the most fun. You could buy regular "Bingo" markers, but I find the name brand Do-A-Dots last longer.

I also keep Mandala type coloring books for my school agers.

I use Pintrest to organize my favorite curriculum websites and projects.

MunchkinWrangler 04-07-2016 08:25 PM

My art/crafts staples are simple but things that aren't too spendy that I always make sure I'm stocked up on. Crayons, construction paper, paint(tempera and watercolor), art trays(when things get messy), glue sticks and regular glue, a hot glue gun for myself, glitter(in all colors), paintbrushes, scissors(kid size), markers, cotton balls, pipe cleaners, googly eyes, stickers, and coloring and activity books(tracing, sticker books, etc.)

I also have playdough and tools and stamper cutout things that the kids love. Most of the art supplies I have had for a year now and I only have to supply a couple things here and there.

Unregistered 04-08-2016 05:35 AM

Koolaid. It's the best! Sprinkle dry unsweetened KA on white construction paper or card stock and paint with water. Awesome

White card stock from wal-mart

Dot stickers-I like the neon. These are in the office supply area. I use them for eyes but they are great for other things.

Small and large paper plates and bags including white lunch bags.

Crayola watercolor paints are the BEST! Last a long time. Nice, vibrant colors. I also like the toddler size. 4 large round cakes. Yellow, blue, gree, red. I've only seen them in school supply catalogs. I like discount school supply.

Yes, dot daubers. Wal-mart has these in their craft area.

Pipe cleaners especially the sparkly ones from dollar tree! Small beads to string onto these.

Washable ink pads and stampers. Discount school supply has large pads big enough to make a handprint from.

Washable tempera paint and nice brushes.

Crayola markers

Coffee filters...place on a paper plate, color with Crayola markers, paint over it with water. All the colors blend. Let dry on the plate.

Kids fiskars scissors

Foam shapes sticker and non-sticker types

Sequin shapes. Come in mixed shapes - Flowers, leaves, circles, birds. Fun fine-motor activity. Have kids drop pieces in a water bottle, fill with water, crazy glue lid, wrap lid tighltly with electrical tape. They LOVE these!

Cupcake liners. I use fall patterned ones for owl eyes.

Doilies for around Valentine's Day.

Tissue paper

Glitter-tape over all but one or two holes. They can shake, shake, shake and not much comes out!

Food coloring

Cotton balls

Fingerprint paper-add a few drops (don't make too dark)of food coloring to glue you've poured into a yogurt cup or similiar container-do a few of different colors. Mix. Paint on any shape you like. I usually do this at Easter on an egg shape cut out. The colors sort of lay on top of each other.
They don't blend into a muddy, pea-green color. Kids can layer, and layer and paint and paint and the colors stay true.

Good quality construction paper-I get mine at discount school supply

All these supplies have tons of uses!

rosieteddy 04-08-2016 08:30 AM

I always had the basic paper ,markers crayons and paints.Then I subscribed to Carols affordable curriculum .This arrived every month.It included all materials and ideas for the month.I didn't have to buy any extra supplies and had projects and themes all picked out.Less thought for me at the end of a busy day. I bought the basic Jumping kangaroo set and picked the things I wanted to use.There is letters,and numbers included .I did not always think necessary. I let the kids do what the wanted. They did love their "papers"and often we turned them into "art"collages and items glued on.It was fun.

Alisyn 04-08-2016 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by MunchkinWrangler:
My art/crafts staples are simple but things that aren't too spendy that I always make sure I'm stocked up on. Crayons, construction paper, paint(tempera and watercolor), art trays(when things get messy), glue sticks and regular glue, a hot glue gun for myself, glitter(in all colors), paintbrushes, scissors(kid size), markers, cotton balls, pipe cleaners, googly eyes, stickers, and coloring and activity books(tracing, sticker books, etc.)

I also have playdough and tools and stamper cutout things that the kids love. Most of the art supplies I have had for a year now and I only have to supply a couple things here and there.

Yes!! This pretty much covers it! :lol:

Ariana 04-08-2016 10:25 AM

My must haves are:

Crayons
Markers
Glue
Cut up paper (construction, wrapping, ribbons) for collage
Beads
Pompoms
Googly eyes
Construction paper
Tracing templates of shapes and animals