Daycare.com Forum

Daycare.com Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/index.php)
-   Daycare Center and Family Home Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Paying For My Own Kids To Be In My Daycare (https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=87051)

LeslieG 08-22-2017 12:10 PM

Paying For My Own Kids To Be In My Daycare

So my sister was recently added to my license and we now do daycare together out of my house. I have soon to be 2 children of my own that will be in our daycare, which is counted into our licenced capacity. I feel bad about my 2 kids taking up spots, therefore cutting into my sister's income potential.

Because of this, we have talked about me paying 50% of our weekly rate for each of my 2 kids once all of our spots become full.

Well now it looks as though we may fill up all of our spots which would mean I have to start paying for my kids. I did the math and all I can say is "yikes!!". I'd be paying $720/month to have my kids in my own daycare!! And the full $720 would go all to my sister.

My sister does pay me "rent" every month because the business is in my home. She pays $170/month.

So what I want to know is: Does all of this seem fair? Would you pay for your own kids? I don't really know what I'm doing!

trytobearunner34 08-22-2017 12:12 PM

I would make it clear from the beginning that I would not pay for my own children to be in my day care.

Blackcat31 08-22-2017 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by LeslieG:
So my sister was recently added to my license and we now do daycare together out of my house. I have soon to be 2 children of my own that will be in our daycare, which is counted into our licenced capacity. I feel bad about my 2 kids taking up spots, therefore cutting into my sister's income potential.

Because of this, we have talked about me paying 50% of our weekly rate for each of my 2 kids once all of our spots become full.

Well now it looks as though we may fill up all of our spots which would mean I have to start paying for my kids. I did the math and all I can say is "yikes!!". I'd be paying $720/month to have my kids in my own daycare!! And the full $720 would go all to my sister.

My sister does pay me "rent" every month because the business is in my home. She pays $170/month.

So what I want to know is: Does all of this seem fair? Would you pay for your own kids? I don't really know what I'm doing!

I'd make your sister your employee instead of your partner.

Its YOUR house so it's your wear and tear and ......

If you list your sister on your license it shouldn't automatically mean she is your equal partner just qualified to be a legal caregiver for your program.

I have my DH on my license as a co-license holder but he is my employee.

NeedaVaca 08-22-2017 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I'd make your sister your employee instead of your partner.

Its YOUR house so it's your wear and tear and ......

If you list your sister on your license it shouldn't automatically mean she is your equal partner just qualified to be a legal caregiver for your program.

I have my DH on my license as a co-license holder but he is my employee.

Definitely this! She should just be your employee, no way should you pay for your own children in your own house. Plus as Blackcat mentioned, it's wear and tear on your house. Come tax time you will be the one to claim t/s%, supplies, maintenance, utilities.. etc AND she's getting one heck of a deal on rent:)

Pestle 08-22-2017 01:37 PM

I think making her your employee instead of partner would eliminate a bunch of problems. She needs to be paid fairly for her time, regardless of how many kids are enrolled, and you need a system that'll work even if, in the future, your sister decides day care isn't for her and moves on to something else.

But, I could see her feeling betrayed or demoted if you tell her you want to make her an employee. It's a challenging situation, working with relatives! My husband and I have never gotten along worse than when I was his manager.

The "rent" is not to live in your house, correct? She's just paying a share into using the house as a day care. Basically, in your current system, she's leasing the house to use as her workplace.

Leigh 08-22-2017 06:11 PM

$170/month is insanely cheap. How did you arrive at that number? Consider the t/s portion of your utilities, mortgage, etc. EVERYTHING. Take THAT number and divide by 2. That would be a fair place to start. Add to that half of the wear and tear on your home and other expenses that come from being the homeowner. I think you'll find that your kids taking up two spaces comes to LESS than what she OUGHT to be paying for rent.

Snowmom 08-22-2017 06:51 PM

No, it doesn't seem fair.
Factoring in not only the above, but also the expenses associated with each child.
Your sister is getting 50% GROSS of two average rates.

What's your NET on each child?
How much does the business (or YOU) pay for supplies (TP, paper towels, soap, disinfectant, etc) and food, water, electricity, gas, upkeep, etc?

You are flat out paying her that 50% and taking YOUR loss on the expenses part of the rate as well (but she's not taking ANY!).

LeslieG 08-22-2017 08:26 PM

Thanks for all your responses!

I really am just trying to be fair.. I more so want her to feel like things are fair. But I don't know what I'm doing, obviously!

This is how our payments go.. We pay ourselves every other week for 2 weeks. We split the income, leaving 10% in our daycare account for daycare expenses.

I'm thinking that I'll just not charge her rent and I won't pay for my 2 kids' spots.

TwinKristi 08-23-2017 12:34 AM

One of the benefits to paying for child care is the tax break you get sent a patent, you cannot and would not want to pay taxes on that money and not get any of the tax breaks parents get who pay for it. You should just consider it a wash. And unless you've registered for a partnership, you're the person who gets to pay SE Taxes, keep records, etc. not her.i think you should hire her on legit with payroll.

nannyde 08-23-2017 04:49 AM

I really am just trying to be fair.. I more so want her to feel like things are fair. But I don't know what I'm doing, obviously!

This is how our payments go.. We pay ourselves every other week for 2 weeks. We split the income, leaving 10% in our daycare account for daycare expenses.

I'm thinking that I'll just not charge her rent and I won't pay for my 2 kids' spots.

Leaving ten percent for expenses bothers me.

That's really low. The expenses to operate your house are going to be way more than that.

Your sister needs to become your employee. That will be way cheaper than giving her half of ninety percent of your income.

What is her rent? Are you renting? Is it half of the house payment/utilities/cable/internet/phone etc?

I've never heard of a partnership like this. I think, unless her rent is HUGE, you are getting the raw end of the deal.

TomCopeland 08-23-2017 08:17 AM

business structure

Much as it might sense to operate like this, you can't do it! You are trying to operate as two businesses, when you aren't. The IRS will either treat you as a partnership or that she is your employee. Also, it doesn't make sense to pay for your own childcare. It's not a business expense and you can't claim the child care tax credit. It's not income to your business either. The money you pay for your own children simply goes into your checking account and then you take it out for whatever you want. There is no tax consequence and no reason to do this.
If you charged your daughter rent you would have to report it as income on Schedule E.
The best way to handle this is to treat her as your employee. Any other option is very problematic. Call me at 651-280-5991 if you want further advice.

trix23 08-24-2017 09:34 PM

Pay her an hourly wage ($8-$9) and have her on payroll. Unless she is investing significant $ to the business, it's nor a true partnership. Part of being a business owner is also taking responsibility for the behind-the-scenes stuff like paperwork, advertising, etc.

I suggest you hire her on as an employee and have her pay 1/3 the rent/electric bill/water bill as her portion.