Daycare.com Forum

Daycare.com Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/index.php)
-   Daycare Center and Family Home Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Labor Day Refunds? (https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=64789)

daycarediva 08-30-2013 06:26 AM

Labor Day Refunds?

I didn't take labor day off, because I have that Friday off for appointments. I was told a few families would still be needing me (some work medical/retail) but now I am down to 2. (from 8 scheduled)

One is for 2 hours,(3-5) Mom isn't working

The other is FULL DAY (7-4:30) and NOT a child that handles being the only well, also a girl and the youngest child in care, so she doesn't play with my own kids at all and is a handful on the best of days.

Should I ask them to keep them home and offer a refund for the day? I have scheduled all of my paid days off and this is not one of them.

Am I then obligated to refund all of my families? None of the others know each other (these two do, though) The rest knew I was open and opted to keep their children home.

Cat Herder 08-30-2013 06:32 AM

You are not obligated to do anything.

Honestly, in your position, I'd suck it up and honor my original schedule. :o I can say that because I have in the past. It is about your business reputation as a dependable provider. 2 days notice, especially weekend days, seems unfair IMHO. It would be very difficult to find back-up care on a holiday.

From here on out I'd recommend taking all federal holidays off with pay. Most providers I know, including myself, already do. :)

daycarediva 08-30-2013 06:34 AM

Neither parent is working, if that makes a difference. Both are SAHM's.

Play Care 08-30-2013 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by daycarediva:

Honestly, I don't think it does. It stinks, but I would suck it up and honor my commitment. I would absolutely change it for next time though! Labor Day is one of the more major Federal Holidays (at least around here) so I have no qualms about taking it off (paid) because all of my clients are off that day too. I can understand if it were say, Columbus or Veterans Day, where there is a good chance parents are still working.

Cat Herder 08-30-2013 06:42 AM

I understand where you're coming from, I do.... :o but you are a business who relies on word of mouth reputation, now.

IMHO, It should not matter what the parents are doing..... just that you honor your schedules, contracts and applicable laws.

I'm not saying you can't ask them... I am just saying your reputation can take a hit from it. ;) It is your business, you know what you can and can't get away with. :)

Blackcat31 08-30-2013 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
I understand where your coming from, I do.... :o but you are a business who relies on word of mouth reputation, now.

IMHO, It should not matter what the parents are doing..... just that you honor your schedules, contracts and applicable laws.

I'm not saying you can't ask them... I am just saying your reputation can take a hit from it. ;) It is your business, you know what you can and can't get away with. :)

This ^^^

I have bit my tongue more times than I really wanted to but sometimes your business reputation or professional obligation outweighs what you like to do and forces you to do what you have to do.

You said you'd be open. You didn't say "only if you work" or "only if I have more than 1 or 2 kids scheduled"...kwim? ;)

nanglgrl 08-30-2013 07:07 AM

I would suck it up and stay open if they wanted me to BUT I would let the parents know that their children are the only ones scheduled. I would confirm with them that they are coming and when they plan on dropping off and picking up. If I really wanted to close I would offer them both a refund but only if they both stay home. This is one reason I started closing some holidays that I didn't used too and why I close the day after Thanksgiving and Christmas...I always ended up having one or two kids scheduled and half the time they wouldn't even show up and if they did they would be incredibly late.

Leigh 08-30-2013 08:17 AM

I would not care for a child on a holiday when the parent isn't working. I address this in my handbook:

I list the holidays that I absolutely take off, followed by this paragraph:

I reserve the right to alter this schedule as I choose to. All other holidays: If you are not scheduled to work yourself on the holiday, your child will not be accepted into care at my home. I, like everyone else, like to have holidays off.

butterfly 08-30-2013 08:25 AM

I agree to sucking it up and working, since you already committed to it; however, I would ask the parents if they were ok with transporting their child. If they were, I'd probably get out and do something fun with them - even just run errands and get that stuff done...

sharlan 08-30-2013 08:31 AM

You already made a commitment.

I think I MIGHT say something like, "Oh, poor Suzy, she's going to be the only one here on Monday. I didn't realize that it was a federal holiday and everyone else is staying home."

The parents may bite and keep the kids home. If not, you're working.

Crazy8 08-30-2013 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
You are not obligated to do anything.

Honestly, in your position, I'd suck it up and honor my original schedule. :o I can say that because I have in the past. It is about your business reputation as a dependable provider. 2 days notice, especially weekend days, seems unfair IMHO. It would be very difficult to find back-up care on a holiday.

From here on out I'd recommend taking all federal holidays off with pay. Most providers I know, including myself, already do. :)

I agree with this. It definitely does suck and I've been there a few times and I would casually mention to mom that her child will be the only one there but from my experience the SAHM's who have their children in full day care on a holiday aren't going to care much! I would just suck it up and learn from the experience!

daycarediva 08-30-2013 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by butterfly:
I agree to sucking it up and working, since you already committed to it; however, I would ask the parents if they were ok with transporting their child. If they were, I'd probably get out and do something fun with them - even just run errands and get that stuff done...

I let both parents know that their children were 1 of 2 coming in. That I was available if they wanted to bring in. One is keeping dck home the whole day and I credited her, the other is still coming in, but it's only a few hours and an easy kid that my kids enjoy. I told her we would be taking her to the spray park for a bit and Mom said "Well do you want me to bring her there and meet you?" AWESOME! Now I get a FUN day with my own kids.

I felt terrible about it to my other parents, so I just sent an email giving credit for the day to everyone, so essentially I took an unpaid day 'off'. Honesty is a good policy. Would NOT be right imho to credit one family and not the others.

Next years handbook has 15 paid days, so this will be a non issue. Some of my parents generally DO work federal holidays and NEED ME. So it went back to being available, and since this is the second time this year this happened, it's time to take those days OFF. ;)

THANK YOU! Even for the 'hard truth'. ;)

Play Care 08-30-2013 09:31 AM

I let both parents know that their children were 1 of 2 coming in. That I was available if they wanted to bring in. One is keeping dck home the whole day and I credited her, the other is still coming in, but it's only a few hours and an easy kid that my kids enjoy. I told her we would be taking her to the spray park for a bit and Mom said "Well do you want me to bring her there and meet you?" AWESOME! Now I get a FUN day with my own kids.

I felt terrible about it to my other parents, so I just sent an email giving credit for the day to everyone, so essentially I took an unpaid day 'off'. Honesty is a good policy. Would NOT be right imho to credit one family and not the others.

Next years handbook has 15 paid days, so this will be a non issue. Some of my parents generally DO work federal holidays and NEED ME. So it went back to being available, and since this is the second time this year this happened, it's time to take those days OFF. ;)

One of the things I've done in the past is to have a sign up sheet for those days with a three family minimum. If I don't get that, I'm closed. If I get it and a family decides not to show, I will tell them that the next time I will need a fourth family to sign up because they lost their spot holder status by piling a no show.

MamaBearCanada 08-30-2013 10:58 AM

I felt terrible about it to my other parents, so I just sent an email giving credit for the day to everyone, so essentially I took an unpaid day 'off'. Honesty is a good policy. Would NOT be right imho to credit one family and not

Just wanted to say that I think you had a really great attitude about things :) Glad it worked out for you.

daycarediva 08-30-2013 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by MamaBearCanada:
Just wanted to say that I think you had a really great attitude about things :) Glad it worked out for you.

Thank you! :)

Heidi 08-30-2013 04:16 PM

I'd glad it worked out. As for federal holidays and parents working, I still take them off. Usually, ONE parent is working, or there is a family member who can take the kiddo. Honestly, I have never had anyone question taking a holiday off. If they did, I'd probably not like them very much...:ouch:

daycarediva 08-30-2013 05:08 PM

I had 6 kids scheduled (capacity) and sent out the email. I have been paid in fully by ALL of my families. They all thanked me for my honesty and paid it anyway with a "enjoy your extra day off" "you deserve it!" "I get it paid off, so should you!" the dcm of the one kiddo coming brought me a bottle of wine and coupons for my family for the spray park.

I am feeling the love right now, folks. It is SO NICE to feel appreciated. lovethis

NeedaVaca 08-30-2013 05:26 PM

That is awesome! Enjoy your weekend :)

Familycare71 08-30-2013 08:25 PM

I had 6 kids scheduled (capacity) and sent out the email. I have been paid in fully by ALL of my families. They all thanked me for my honesty and paid it anyway with a "enjoy your extra day off" "you deserve it!" "I get it paid off, so should you!" the dcm of the one kiddo coming brought me a bottle of wine and coupons for my family for the spray park.

I am feeling the love right now, folks. It is SO NICE to feel appreciated. lovethis

happyface that is great!!!!

jessrlee 08-31-2013 08:18 AM

That's awesome!! I think it was super classy of you to offer the refund!!

Cradle2crayons 08-31-2013 08:54 AM

Congrats!! I'm open Monday myself, I only take a couple holidays a year off. My parents don't get paid days off at their job either. But I'm weird because I do afternoon shift and work weekends as well lol.