Daycare.com Forum

Daycare.com Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/index.php)
-   Daycare Center and Family Home Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Having Work Done While Daycare Is Open? (https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67161)

jojosmommy 12-06-2013 03:38 PM

Having Work Done While Daycare Is Open?

Is it inappropriate to have work done on the home during daycare hours? What are your limits on this?

Obviously not stuff that is caustic, or harmful to the children (like fumes etc).

I hate to close, especially when contractors are notorious for last minute no shows and not finishing on time. But, do parentsconflict with your home maintence plans? Not talking about major renovation or demo fyi.

BabyLuver2 12-06-2013 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by jojosmommy:
Is it inappropriate to have work done on the home during daycare hours? What are your limits on this?

Obviously not stuff that is caustic, or harmful to the children (like fumes etc).

I hate to close, especially when contractors are notorious for last minute no shows and not finishing on time. But, do parentsconflict with your home maintence plans? Not talking about major renovation or demo fyi.

What kind of renovations? If you're getting a roof done, probably fine. If you're tearing apart the kitchen due to mold, probably not fine. If you're remodeling an upstairs bath but your dc is downstairs, probably fine. BUT that being said, make sure the contractors are all licensed/insured. ALWAYS. Do NOT cut corners either (not dc related just wise advice) and do a lot of research so you know who is and isn't in and out of your house. Also get licensing to clear it. I had a major flood in 2007 (and many since) and had to have the dc area cleaned, sanitized, sprayed, redone. I was approved by licensing to temporarily move the DC to another area in my home taht wasn't part of the "licensed area" and it was fine. If I hadn't gotten approval, it might not have been ok.

Blackcat31 12-06-2013 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by jojosmommy:

In MN you can't do any home repairs or remodeling when you are open with DCK's present.

You can do minor thing but nothing that requires a contractor ..kwim?

I am on my phone so I cant post the regs but I can find them later and post them for you.

What are you needing to have done?

jenboo 12-06-2013 05:56 PM

I haven't read anything saying that I cannot have any work done with DCK here. I have already had a plumber (my dads friend) come by during hours. My dad is always here fixing stuff. When we get the permit for our patio covering he will most likely build it during daycare hours (obviously all the children will stay inside).
I don't see a problem with it as long as licensing allows it and it doesnt interfere with the kids.

DaisyMamma 12-07-2013 04:48 PM

I never even thought about it. I've had basic repairs done during daycare. The guys were in a different room though.
It is your home. When else can they come? They have business hours too....

saved4always 12-07-2013 05:07 PM

I don't know how you would be able to get around sometimes having repairs or remodeling done during daycare hours. I don't know of many companies that do repairs on weekends or evenings. At least not where I live. Of course, I was legally unliscensed so I didn't have to worry about that part and just scheduled when they could come...nothing dangerous like mold removal, of course :). I did have new flooring put in once that took most of a week. I didn't close but we did go to my neighbor's most of that week to hang out. All my parents were informed of where we would be and all had used my neighbor as back up when I had an emergency so they were fine with it.

Laurel 12-08-2013 06:52 AM

Our licensing regulations forbids it. We're not even supposed to have someone in to fix the washing machine or simple things like that. I allow the little things anyway but not bigger jobs. Most places for bigger jobs will come out on a Saturday if they want your business.

You do have to be careful when workers come because they aren't as 'child aware' as we are. They leave doors open, tools lying in places that they shouldn't, etc.

Laurel

Maria2013 12-08-2013 08:03 AM

I plan on having a bathroom installed in my daycare during the holidays, I will notify the parents and have them sign a written slip and then block off that part of the daycare, I hope that's enough for licensing cause that is all I can do

originalkat 12-08-2013 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by DaisyMamma:
I never even thought about it. I've had basic repairs done during daycare. The guys were in a different room though.
It is your home. When else can they come? They have business hours too....

This is what I was thinking...

Margarete 12-08-2013 11:02 AM

California has specific language regarding contractors being exempt from criminal background checks:

(4) A third-party repair person, or similar retained contractor, if all of the following apply:
(A) The individual is hired for a defined, time-limited job.
(B) The individual is not left alone with children.
(C) When children are present in the room in which the repairperson or contractor is working, a staff person who has a criminal record clearance or exemption is also present
------------------------------------------------------

Check your regulations, but I would think if your licensing regulations don't say anything specific about contractors (or other visitors), I would think these are reasonable.

Rachel 12-08-2013 10:27 PM

We are also not allowed unless we tell the supervisor in advance, tell the parents in advance, and have someone else here. And even then, only if it really, really, really, can't be helped. If they want my business they have to come after 4:30 or on the weekend. Period. End of Story.

julie 12-08-2013 10:52 PM

Meh. I've had all kinds of things done. I am legally unlicensed though, so I just give the parents a head's up. Most of the time, I take them in the back yard if I think it will be dangerous or too loud for them. Kids love it though. They ask all kinds of questions about what's going on and think that the people that come hee are just fascinating. Most of the people are pretty obliging and take the time to answer the kid's questions too. We nearly always bake on the days workmen are here because they want to give them a snack to take with them. They think it's like a field trip or something. The guys (or girls) always leave feeling appreciated. Win win!

Play Care 12-09-2013 02:59 AM

WE CAN have minor repairs done so long as the person signs in and is obviously not alone with the children. So yes, I've had appliances repaired during work hours, new appliances delivered, etc. My space is large enough for me to be comfortable with this.