Daycare.com Forum

Daycare.com Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/index.php)
-   Daycare Center and Family Home Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Switching to a Center (https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90167)

Unregistered 08-28-2018 11:54 AM

Switching to a Center

I have two kids in my daycare from the same family and the older child will be going back to school next week. I was just informed by the dcm that younger 2 yr old just got into a center (I guess he’s been on a waiting list for a while). Apparently he’s been on this list before they even came to me but I had no idea I was only a temporary daycare for them. I guess I don’t see what the advantage is and feel kind of hurt and unappreciated. I know it’s their choice but I was so surprised when she told me this as I thought he was going to be here long term. I know this is business and I’m letting my feelings get in the way but it’s so hard not to.

MarinaVanessa 08-28-2018 12:01 PM

One of the things that I ask during interviews is whether they are on another waitinglist. It happens so often that I have to ask and pass on the families that are on waitinglists for families that have the potential of staying longer.

It stinks when you think someone is staying for a long time and they end up leaving.

Blackcat31 08-28-2018 12:42 PM

It's hard sometimes for sure....

I don't ask because honestly it probably doesn't make much difference. The answer could change at any time so I don't see the value in asking.

I've had children I thought were long term not stay (for many reasons) and kids I thought would be temporary end up staying until Kindy ...also for many reasons.

Sometimes the parent/family ends up really liking your program and chooses to stay and other times I've had kids that I enrolled long term and then ended up terming myself because they just didn't work out.

Either way, I am sorry you are feeling sad....it's hard when a family you didn't have a clue was planning to leave goes.
It feels personal from our perspective but I don't think it is ever meant to be negative towards the provider.

Hang in there and again, I am sorry you are losing a DCK
Hopefully you are able to fill the space quickly! :)

Unregistered 08-28-2018 01:57 PM

What really stinks is I’m already losing 3 other kids to preschool and kindergarten so this will be the fourth one! I’ll only have 2 kids left so hopefully I can fill some spots.

amberrose3dg 08-28-2018 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I have two kids in my daycare from the same family and the older child will be going back to school next week. I was just informed by the dcm that younger 2 yr old just got into a center (I guess he’s been on a waiting list for a while). Apparently he’s been on this list before they even came to me but I had no idea I was only a temporary daycare for them. I guess I don’t see what the advantage is and feel kind of hurt and unappreciated. I know it’s their choice but I was so surprised when she told me this as I thought he was going to be here long term. I know this is business and I’m letting my feelings get in the way but it’s so hard not to.

Happened to me with an infant. Had him over a year. Got him on a good schedule and they left for a center near moms job with little notice. Sometimes its for the best.

Unregistered 08-30-2018 05:58 AM

Thanks everyone, she put his 2 weeks notice in on Mon. Aug. 27th and he starts new center on Mon. Sept. 10th, so would you guys still bill her for the 10th?

storybookending 08-30-2018 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Thanks everyone, she put his 2 weeks notice in on Mon. Aug. 27th and he starts new center on Mon. Sept. 10th, so would you guys still bill her for the 10th?

Yes. I had one give notice on Aug 28th and I will be billing for both the 10th and 11th.

LysesKids 08-31-2018 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by storybookending:
Yes. I had one give notice on Aug 28th and I will be billing for both the 10th and 11th.

I require 2 weeks notice & that it be given on Fridays only... of course I get paid by the month on the 1st (actually tonight because the 1st is a Sat this next month); if anyone was to give notice, today would most likely be the day lol; Thanks to another provider for this idea - you know who you are