Daycare.com Forum

Daycare.com Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/index.php)
-   New Members - Welcome to the Daycare.com Forum! (https://www.daycare.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   New and Would Love Suggestions! (https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=87056)

MissyMiss 08-23-2017 06:30 AM

New and Would Love Suggestions!

Hi, I am a first year teacher in a daycare setting and I would love some suggestions. I found this site when I was looking for suggestions on how to get my classroom to line up without literally beating each other up, so that they could be the line leader. Line up time was always a nightmare! The bubble in their mouth, along with a duck tail worked wonders, along with me writing their names on masking tape and taping it to our walkway and changing them around every week. (sigh)

Well, I am back for more advice. I am looking for ideas on how to get the classrooms attention all at once, like for clean up time. I don't have an extremely loud voice, so I have to repeat myself a million times just to get the kids to clean up.

Also, what do you do about that child who just doesn't listen and talks back constantly, or runs away when when everyone else is eating or lining up and then kicks, hits, pinches and scratches?

I love these kids to pieces but sometimes it's so overwhelming and stressful. And the hugs really make it worth it.

daycare 08-23-2017 07:09 AM

attention :

I will clap 3 times and then they repeat what they hear.

I also sing a lot. I will walk around their play area make myself seen and then start singing very quietly the clean up song.

another one is lights out freeze game. I will flicker the lights and everyone has to freeze. when they are frozen I then quietly tell everyone its time to clean up.

I sing a lot of transition songs. look them up on pinterest.

storybookending 08-23-2017 07:37 AM

We did a simple clap rhythm of 5 claps and the children repeated. Two slower claps and then three faster ones. The sequence kind of went 1-2-1-2-3. Hard to explain but the kids responded well to it then whatever announcement we needed made was made.

CalCare 08-23-2017 10:44 PM

Yes same as above with the clap. Clap. Clapclapclap. Lol then they do it back. Or saying ,"Onetwothree, eyes on me" and they chant back: "0ne. Two. Eyes on you." We used to use this other rhyme that I think k works if they are already sitting like in a circle/group time situation:
I wiggle my fingers,
I wiggle my toes.
I wiggle my shoulders,
I wiggle my nose.
I make my hands go clap clap clap (clap when saying the word clap),
I place them gently in my lap,
And that. Means. Shhhhhhh (finger over mouth shush)

Blackcat31 08-24-2017 06:13 AM

We use a variety of methods to get all their attention at one time. Recently we've started doing "Give Me Five!"
  • Legs Crossed
  • Hands are Still
  • Ears are Listening
  • Eyes are Watching
  • Lips are Sealed/Zipped

*I usually say "sealed" as I despise when the kids use "zip it" or "zip your lips" type phrases so we substituted sealed for zipped.

As for the unruly children that are sassy and don't fall into line with the others? That child would be MY buddy and would be relegated to holding MY hand until they are able to demonstrate the ability to listen to and follow my instructions.

flying_babyb 08-24-2017 05:51 PM

I love the gimme 5 thing! in fact I had that as a poster for my preschool room. As for clean up- I had a wistle. I would wistle twice, the kids would stop. I would say clean up time. Lets geter done, so we can ________! who can be a great cleaner?
Usually worked and if I was desperate I would use the good ole sticker bribe (mostly when we were on a deadline, like 10 mins till our gym time)

Also, what do you do about that child who just doesn't listen and talks back constantly, or runs away when when everyone else is eating or lining up and then kicks, hits, pinches and scratches?

Time out lol, or the buddy system. They sit by me at lunch, they hold my hand at line up. That way if anyone does get hurt its me.