Daycare.com Forum

Daycare.com Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/index.php)
-   Daycare Center and Family Home Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Breaking Things! (https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=81742)

delferka 02-24-2016 11:35 AM

Breaking Things!

Does anyone have a child that is ridiculous about breaking things? Not only is he rough with toys, today he walked into my living room and pulled by Bombay lamp ( by the cord) off of the end stand and smashed it. He's 1 and a half. I feel like these parents should be responsible for this but probably not.

Thriftylady 02-24-2016 11:40 AM

Yes I have it in my contract that parents are responsible if their child is destructive on purpose. But I wouldn't keep a child who did things like this on a normal basis. I would have a term notice ready at pick up, WITH a bill for the lamp.

Crystal 02-24-2016 11:51 AM

At 1 and a half, no. He is still learning and I would highly doubt that it was intentional behavior. Constant supervision and redirecting is what I would be doing. ;)

Blackcat31 02-24-2016 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by CoachingForQualityImprovement:
At 1 and a half, no. He is still learning and I would highly doubt that it was intentional behavior. Constant supervision and redirecting is what I would be doing. ;)

Agreed. It sucks sometimes when things get broken but I don't chalk much up to intentional behavior until they're closer to school aged and after I've discussed with parents the continuing behaviors after exhausting all the tricks in my bag.

I'm sorry your lamp got broken. :(

It still wouldn't hurt to mention it to parents. Sometimes they want to help cover the costs of replacing but I personally wouldn't expect them to.

Play Care 02-24-2016 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Agreed. It sucks sometimes when things get broken but I don't chalk much up to intentional behavior until they're closer to school aged and after I've discussed with parents the continuing behaviors after exhausting all the tricks in my bag.

It still wouldn't hurt to mention it to parents. Sometimes they want to help cover the costs of replacing but I personally wouldn't expect them to.

This. I really don't have any nice things in the main day care spaces. It's just easier that way. :ouch:

Thriftylady 02-24-2016 02:47 PM

I would agree, but then I had DD. Even at 1.5 and 2 she very intentionally did things. Only at home though. She was a behavior problem back then to be sure. But still, only at home. We also went through a phase around then with DD that if you said "don't touch that it's hot", she would do it just to test to see if you told her the truth. She would look at you say "hot?" then touch it. Then of course get mad because it was hot. Thank God she got all that out of her system (or we scared it out of her something), she is a joy now.

I had to really work my butt off to learn to parent her. So it depends on the child. Now if the child walked up and the lamp cord was there and he got curious, then no not the child's fault. I guess I would like to know more about the situation and I may change my original answer.

Blackcat31 02-24-2016 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
I would agree, but then I had DD. Even at 1.5 and 2 she very intentionally did things. Only at home though. She was a behavior problem back then to be sure. But still, only at home. We also went through a phase around then with DD that if you said "don't touch that it's hot", she would do it just to test to see if you told her the truth. She would look at you say "hot?" then touch it. Then of course get mad because it was hot. Thank God she got all that out of her system (or we scared it out of her something), she is a joy now.

I had to really work my butt off to learn to parent her. So it depends on the child. Now if the child walked up and the lamp cord was there and he got curious, then no not the child's fault. I guess I would like to know more about the situation and I may change my original answer.

There are always exceptions to every rule, however developmentally a 1.5 yr old has no concept of cause and effect and cannot be held accountable for breaking something when under someone else's supervision.

Home is a "gray area" lol! :lol:

Thriftylady 02-24-2016 03:00 PM

There are always exceptions to every rule, however developmentally a 1.5 yr old has no concept of cause and effect and cannot be held accountable for breaking something when under someone else's supervision.

Home is a "gray area" lol! :lol:

Lol but I really think for her it was more of a "what do you think you are going to do about it" area. Before I started doing daycare, her provider thought she was just the sweetest thing. She didn't have to take her home.:eek: