Daycare.com Forum

Daycare.com Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/index.php)
-   Daycare Center and Family Home Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   How Hard Is It to Switch Child Management Software? (https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90193)

Baaabaluu 08-31-2018 11:56 AM

How Hard Is It to Switch Child Management Software?

There are so many to choose from (Procare, Kindertales, Tadpoles, HiMama... the list goes on). Has anyone switched from one to another and how hard is it to do? Are there data loss issues? Are there extra hidden fees?

Michael 08-31-2018 01:55 PM

I would think that the databases would be incompatible. There may be some software that allow for conversion but you would need to find out. What are you using now and what software do you want to move over to?

CityGarden 09-01-2018 10:35 AM

Welcome to the forum!

No two childcare softwares are built exactly the same and I would assume you could not easily transfer between the different programs. Keep in mind the different programs/apps/etc. are competition for each other so they have no benefit to making it easy for you to transition your information between programs easy.

Each programs fees are different as well.

My advice is to choose wisely at the start and maybe do a trial/pilot of your top two or three. Really think about:
  • How will you use the software for yourself as a provider/business owner?
  • How will you use the software for students / parents?
  • Do you need/ want it to including a billing/payment option?
  • Are you using it for parent communications?
  • Are you on the food program and if so does your food program require you to use or provide you with a software?
  • Do you need it want to use it for parents to sign in and out? If so does your state allow and PIN number or need an electronic signature.
  • Do you want to track daily notes for individual children?
  • If you plan to upload a lot of photos or videos what is their storage limits?

Many of the softwares will do only some of the items above really well... so once you know what you need/want the software to "do" then you will have a better starting point.

I tried out Seesaw, Tadpoles and Brightwheel.... all had their pros and cons.

Baaabaluu 09-04-2018 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by Michael:
I would think that the databases would be incompatible. There may be some software that allow for conversion but you would need to find out. What are you using now and what software do you want to move over to?

We're not sure yet. I wanted to understand how locked in we would be if we chose one and then didn't like it or couldn't afford it at some point. The only software I have experienced was Tadpoles, which they use at Bright Horizons where my daughter went.

Baaabaluu 09-04-2018 06:11 AM

Thanks! I like the idea of trialing - we wouldn't want to get stuck with a difficult system.

CityGarden 09-04-2018 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by Baaabaluu:
Thanks! I like the idea of trialing - we wouldn't want to get stuck with a difficult system.

I don't find any of the systems difficult but I think the benefits of doing a trial is that you can see how you like using them on a day to day basis also you will learn what you want them to actually do for your business. It was not an overnight trial for me I tried all three for at least a month.

For me I liked all three I tried but some functions more than others and it helped me define what I wanted out of the program. Knowing what I wanted most (and what I would be consistent with) helped me a ton.