Daycare.com Forum

Daycare.com Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/index.php)
-   Daycare Center and Family Home Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Child Got Bit... Parent is MAD! (https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24245)

kpa0627 12-10-2010 05:04 PM

Child Got Bit... Parent is MAD!

A child in my daycare got bit by another child today over a toy. They are both 23 months old. It did not break the skin so I cleaned it off put an ice pack on it and then filled out an accident report to place in child's folder. When mom picked up I told her what happened and how I cleaned it and she said okay and acted as if it was no big deal. An hour later she text my phone and it said "Who was it that bit my son?" I text back "One of the little ones. I'm not supposed to disclose that information." Her response, "I can't believe that." I text back, "You can't believe what?" Her response, "I can't believe that my kid can be bit but I am not allowed to know who did it. What happens if it breaks skin?" At this point I tried to call so we could talk but she wouldn't answer. She texted again, "I am not mad but I think that it should be a parental right when something like that happens that I know." I text back a lengthy response, "Well, it is no different than when your son went through his biting phase a few months ago. I let the parents know what happened but did not disclose who did it. That is when you run into parents not wanting their kid around that child, etc. It's just like your work (she's a nurse) where some things have to be kept private. Daycare is the same. The biting policy is in the handbook. If it breaks the skin I must call the parent so they have the choice of me cleaning it or coming to look at it to decide if they would like a doctor to look at it (licensing rules). You can contact my licensing surveyor at *** *** ***X if you feel the need to but i assure you the two issues you've had with my daycare (biting policy and sick policy) is appropriate via their rules."
She text back, "Ok well have a great weekend." I said "Thanks."
I'm just very frustrated because we just had an issue earlier this week with her child puking and I told her he couldn't return the next day and she was very rude about it. I'm tired of having to explain my policies to her. I have had NO issues with any other parents and I just don't get it. What would you guys do? Should i just let it roll off my shoulders as an ignorant parent or terminate? I plan on calling my licensing surveyor to let them know she may call (my surveyor said to let them know if we think a parent may call for reasons like these). UGH....... :-(

Abigail 12-10-2010 05:56 PM

Wow, that can be frustrating. I know I would probably be steamed up a little about it and would be thinking about it all night, ha ha. I think you did the right thing. You should save your text messages for a few weeks (lock the ones you told us about) then you can show your surveyor or whoever may need to see as proof. I don't think it's a big deal, but the mom probably has had a bad week and I would let it slide. If this stuff continues to happen I wouldn't hesitate to terminate. The child is a joy though right? LOL

kpa0627 12-10-2010 06:04 PM

Yeah I will make sure and save the texts. I do enjoy the child. He's a good boy. I've been watching him for 10 months. But I'm just frustrated with the parent situation :-( Im just trying to figure out if I should terminate or not. He's leaving in august to go to a center (they had already put him on a waiting list when he was one). It's a bilingual preschool and he has to be 2 1/2 to go and in august he will be that age.

Abigail 12-10-2010 06:13 PM

The other thing if you terminate would just create a bad word of mouth too, so if you can handle the parent I would stick it out until other situations arise. Remember you spend more time with the child than the parent and that should make up the difference. You can always issue a slight rate increase to ease your pain too, lol.

jen 12-10-2010 07:45 PM

You know, a lot of parents, especially new parents, don't really understand that biting is pretty normal. I would print up some information and let her know what steps you are taking to prevent future bites.

Of course, balance that with letting them know that you are very concerned for the safety of all the children in your care, and that you will do everything you can to remedy the situation as quickly as possible.

Crystal 12-10-2010 07:50 PM

Yep, what Jen said. EDUCATE her. :)

kpa0627 12-10-2010 08:06 PM

Yeah, this is her third child so she's not a new mom. Also, her son went through a biting issue and was biting every other day for about a month and so I talked to her often about it and told her it was just a phase because he was frustrated since he doesn't have a means of communication. As soon as he started "talking" (babbling) he quit the biting. So, she knows it's normal behavior. It's just it's not her kid biting now it's her kid that got bit so now she's all of a sudden taken in interest in it.