Daycare.com Forum

Daycare.com Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/index.php)
-   Daycare Menus, Breakfast, Lunch and Snack Ideas (https://www.daycare.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Flax Oil (https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=93126)

Baby Beluga 03-09-2020 11:47 AM

Flax Oil
 
I feel silly asking this question, but I am not sure. Is flax oil considered a food or supplement?

I put flax oil in the smoothies I make for my own family and considered adding it to the smoothies I make for DCK's...but questioned myself on whether it is a food (that does not need special permission to give) or if it is a supplement (that would need special permission to give.)

Help please? :o

FWIW: not on the food program.

Cat Herder 03-09-2020 12:06 PM

I think it would be considered a supplement. I just add the seeds to oatmeal, bread and sauces. ;)

I don't think you'd need permission any more than you would for olive oil, though.

Baby Beluga 03-09-2020 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
I think it would be considered a supplement. I just add the seeds to oatmeal, bread and sauces. ;)

I don't think you'd need permission any more than you would for olive oil, though.


Thank you, CH!

I used to do flax meal in oatmeal for breakfast, but not everyone is here for breakfast, and of those who are, not all eat it. However, they gobble smoothies like it is no one's business :lol: So I thought maybe that would be a better vehicle for this group.

Can I ask what sauces you add the seeds to? I never thought about doing it that way, but I like the idea.

Cat Herder 03-09-2020 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Baby Beluga:
Thank you, CH!

I used to do flax meal in oatmeal for breakfast, but not everyone is here for breakfast, and of those who are, not all eat it. However, they gobble smoothies like it is no one's business :lol: So I thought maybe that would be a better vehicle for this group.

Can I ask what sauces you add the seeds to? I never thought about doing it that way, but I like the idea.

Beef spaghetti sauce, black bean salsa, brown gravy, cheese sauces, etc. Just toss them into a coffee grinder, first. They make a great thickener and can even be added to smoothies that way. likethis

topazann 03-09-2020 03:08 PM

I use a little along with other oils or just a small amount in many recipes. I eat a tablespoon or two of chia seeds every day - usually in my morning oatmeal. Lots of good omega-3s.

Baby Beluga 03-09-2020 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
Beef spaghetti sauce, black bean salsa, brown gravy, cheese sauces, etc. Just toss them into a coffee grinder, first. They make a great thickener and can even be added to smoothies that way. likethis

This is genius. Thank you! Especially the cheese sauce. I make a sauce with fake vegan cheese, so there is no fat or protein in it. I am forever trying to find ways to add healthy fats I to those types of dishes and I just never put two and two together.

Cat Herder 03-10-2020 04:28 AM

Getting the omega-3's in is important to me for neuro. ;) Chia seed has more than flax as well as calcium and manganese for bones. I prefer the nutty flavor of flax but often mix the two for a nutritional bump to the pasta and bread heavy dishes the kids will eat. ;)

Topazann is right, chia is a great choice. It just has a taste that I need to mask a bit more.

Baby Beluga 03-10-2020 08:10 AM

Thank you both! lovethis


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:48 AM.