Daycare.com Forum

Daycare.com Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/index.php)
-   Daycare Center and Family Home Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Outdoor Play Kitchen? (https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28617)

SilverSabre25 03-23-2011 02:51 PM

Outdoor Play Kitchen?

Do any of you have a play kitchen of some sort outside? I have a very small plastic kitchen that I inherited from my sister. It's rather dirty and gross, but overall in good shape. I've been thinking that it might make a good play kitchen for outside. I also have a bunch of plastic play kitchen dishes and other accessories that I got off CL a few years ago along with some things I actually wanted, so I've been thinking of putting those out with it. Do your dcks actually play with an outdoor kitchen? I'm worried that it might just look trashy...

KEG123 03-23-2011 03:06 PM

Mud pies! I say put em out there, but don't be surprised if they get muddy!

gbcc 03-23-2011 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by KEG123:
Mud pies! I say put em out there, but don't be surprised if they get muddy!

Yep! :lol:

WImom 03-23-2011 03:20 PM

Yes Mud Pies! The kids will love it. I'm thinking of getting a kitchen too for outside.

jessrlee 03-23-2011 03:29 PM

I had one until a couple of weeks ago. I hated it. The sink bit would fill with rain water and then someone would go over and put their face in it and drink! :eek: Finally it got all full of leaves and looked awful so I curbed it!

SilverSabre25 03-23-2011 03:42 PM

eh, muddy is fine, sandy is fine, the thing is either going to go outside or go to the dump because I do NOT want to take the time to clean it up!

Cooool....I have a new outdoor toy. I can't wait for better weather!

I'll probably keep it until it looks REALLY awful and then call for bulk pick-up to haul it away. And I'll feel better about it since it will have gotten all the use it possibly could have.

heyhun77 03-23-2011 05:24 PM

We have a whole kitchen set outside by the sandbox in the summer. There's a sink/stove, fridge and then I had an extra washer/dryer and a little grill. The kids LOVE having it out there. I, too, put a set of play dishes and food out there. They pretend all sorts of stuff, usually involving sand and/or worms. I bring out dress up clothes and baby dolls (and a TON of other toys) so it's just another part of our outside classroom.

Last summer I bought up enough items that I now have a separate set of everything for outside and no longer have to get all the dirt off them to bring them back inside. I still have a few things that I bring out and then work hard to clean up again and then the books outside rotate each week but a lot of the things we use outside are just stored in the garage through the winter.

Missani 03-23-2011 07:43 PM

Yep, we have one. A neighbor gave it to me and it's on the older side, but it's perfect for outside. The kids love it and were happy to rediscover it under the snow.

Meyou 03-24-2011 04:48 AM

I have a kitchen, a workbench and a giant tote full of tractors, dumptrucks etc. I scrub the toys with a brush and hot soapy water once a week to keep the grime to a minimum and spray them off with a hose everyday once the water won't freeze. My kids love it.

We put everything away every afternoon next to the deck so my yard doesn't look like toys r us threw up. lol

SimpleMom 03-24-2011 06:22 AM

I have a playhouse I bought from Menards a few years ago for outdoors, plus an indoor play kitchen. The kids absolutely LOVE them. Everyone of them--all ages have really enjoyed the kitchen and playhouse. I also have a plastic picnic table out there and such. I have a sandbox (plus and minus to that;)) which they enjoy and make food with as well. Dishes...not too much outdoors, but I have sand toys and they use them just the same.

MG&Lsmom 03-24-2011 09:42 AM

I've been thinking about this as well. I'm seriously stalking CL for outside playstuff. There have been some kitchens not worthy of crossing the threshold but fabulous for outside. But the rain water issue is what held me back from purchasing. Do any of you haul it into a shed or garage every day to avoid the water? I've also been looking for a play house and wondered if I could just throw it in there every afternoon.

As for sandboxes, I loathe finding handfuls in pants pockets and diapers after we come in. My worst pet peeve! So I picked up a gross water table for $5 and filled it with sand. It's big enough for 4-5 kids to stand around and play. Been a big hit. I did find a rubbermaid container top big enough to fit over it so I can keep the rain out of it as well.