Daycare.com Forum

Daycare.com Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/index.php)
-   Daycare Center and Family Home Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Ikea Duktig Workbench and/or Kitchen? (https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50728)

DBug 09-12-2012 10:06 AM

Ikea Duktig Workbench and/or Kitchen?
 
Has anyone got either the workbench or kitchen from Ikea? I'm slowly getting rid of plastic in the playroom, and I really like the look of both of these (and the price is right!).

BUT, are they sturdy enough for 5 toddlers to play with day in and day out?

Lyss 09-12-2012 10:18 AM

I'd be interested to know too!

i use this table on a daily basis. I was concerned it would be trashed in a month because of the price ($20 for table and 2 chairs) but we use it heavily and 6 months later its still sturdy and in one piece!

countrymom 09-12-2012 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lyss (Post 261845)
I'd be interested to know too!

i use this table on a daily basis. I was concerned it would be trashed in a month because of the price ($20 for table and 2 chairs) but we use it heavily and 6 months later its still sturdy and in one piece!

I looked at this table but "I" couldn't fit at the table so I bought the green round one, and I have the stools so now I fit, and it fits 5 toddlers with no problem.

countrymom 09-12-2012 10:52 AM

I went over to ikea this weekend, I remember touching the kitchen set and thinking how cute. the faucet didn't look sturdy but everything else did. And the sink comes out. I don't recall seeing the tool bench, but now that I look at it, I think I'm going to get it. I have a little tykes one, but the way its done is that you have to play with it on both sides (and I keep it pushed against the wall) but I like the fact that you can buy a big bin to store all the tools in, this is big plus for me. This is one of those toys that gets played with alot too.

DCMom 09-12-2012 12:58 PM

Love these!

I have many ikea purchases in my home and daycare (only 15min from my house) from storage items to decor to toys to textiles and furnishings. I have never been disappointed in anything I have purchased.

At those prices, I would take the chance. I may have to go shopping myself :)

spud912 09-12-2012 02:14 PM

I have the workbench. The quality is exceptional and has proven to be sturdy enough for my group of six. However, they don't have any wooden tools at Ikea (only plush and plastic). All of my pretend screws don't fit the holes because the holes are too small. As a result, the workbench has become another storage unit and the kids hardly ever play with it. They used to play with my cheap plastic workbench a lot, so it is somewhat disappointing. I wish Ikea sold wooden tools and screws to fit the workbench holes.

Crazy8 09-12-2012 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lyss (Post 261845)
I'd be interested to know too!

i use this table on a daily basis. I was concerned it would be trashed in a month because of the price ($20 for table and 2 chairs) but we use it heavily and 6 months later its still sturdy and in one piece!

I bought that at a garage sale years ago, had it in my basement for my kids for about 4 years (not daycare kids) and it was still like brand new when I sold it at a garage sale this summer.... and I got $10 for it too. :)

DBug 09-12-2012 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spud912 (Post 261945)
I have the workbench. The quality is exceptional and has proven to be sturdy enough for my group of six. However, they don't have any wooden tools at Ikea (only plush and plastic). All of my pretend screws don't fit the holes because the holes are too small. As a result, the workbench has become another storage unit and the kids hardly ever play with it. They used to play with my cheap plastic workbench a lot, so it is somewhat disappointing. I wish Ikea sold wooden tools and screws to fit the workbench holes.

Where are the holes for the screws -- on the surface of the workbench, or do they go in the pegboard? I was actually looking at the pictures for a spot for them to drill screws in and couldn't figure it out.

And I agree, I wish Ikea would sell wooden nails, screws and tools :(

spud912 09-12-2012 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DBug (Post 261951)
Where are the holes for the screws -- on the surface of the workbench, or do they go in the pegboard? I was actually looking at the pictures for a spot for them to drill screws in and couldn't figure it out.

And I agree, I wish Ikea would sell wooden nails, screws and tools :(

The holes are on the bench part and on the pegboard. With the plastic workbench we had, the kids would spend 30 minutes at a time screwing and hammering things into the bench part.

I've thought about purchasing wooden screws and bolts from Amazon, but I have a good feeling my group would just take them to the preschool table instead of the workbench. I don't know, maybe it's because the workbench is in the corner. :confused:


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:53 PM.