Daycare.com Forum

Daycare.com Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/index.php)
-   Daycare Center and Family Home Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   When Your Own Child Is Sick...... (https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25620)

TSDaycare 01-18-2011 06:41 AM

When Your Own Child Is Sick......

What do you do when your own child is sick? Mine is running a fever and has swollen tonsils so I closed today. Overall very healthy child so this doesnt happen often-and I have an appt with the dr later...But why do I feel so bad about my parents having to take off???

Unregistered 01-18-2011 08:23 AM

You did the right thing YOUR child comes first not the daycare parents. I dont close if my older 2 are sick with vomiting, diaherra, virus, etc because they will stay in their room but I do close if my toddler has vomiting, diaherra, and or a fever as she needs most of my attention and wont stay in her room.

lil angels 01-18-2011 10:36 AM

I give parents the option and let them know what my family has and I don't charge them if they decide not to bring their child because someone here is sick. My kids are 4 and 8 so if they are really sick they will stay in their rooms.

Cat Herder 01-18-2011 11:22 AM

Whether I adjust my routine or not depends on how bad my child feels. When DS's had chicken pox they were wide open and playing so my Mom came and hung out with them during daycare hours. (DH was out of State or he would have) Parents were notified, all came.

When my kids feel really bad and want their Mom (croup, tonsilectomy, flu etc), I try to have my Mom or DH take over the daycare. I do not feel it is my responsibility, but if one is available it would be inconsiderate to not ask since I expect payment regardless.

I have never had to close for personal/family illness so far. I have a pretty great support network. If that day comes, the parents will have to ask their family for backup. ;)

Miss Lindsey 01-18-2011 11:49 AM

I was just coming to ask the same thing. My middle daughter, 6, woke up at 5, throwing up in her bed (ICK). I immediately texted all my daycare parents (after taking care of her of course) to let them know I would not be able to watch any kids today. Well, 2 of them cancelled for tomorrow as well. I also don't charge when my own kids are sick, so an illness in the family HITS us hard in the pocketbook as well as physically. Now, of course, daughter only threw up one time an hour after the first time, and went back to sleep and has been fine the rest of the day.:rolleyes: I think I could have isolated her, but I also want to fully disclose the illnesses in hopes that parents will do the same for me!
Now...will this illness linger by infecting the rest of my family...one by one...meaning cancelling up to 4 more times??? UGH! PLEASE no!:(

My Lil' Monkeys 01-18-2011 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by sdb20636:
What do you do when your own child is sick? Mine is running a fever and has swollen tonsils so I closed today. Overall very healthy child so this doesnt happen often-and I have an appt with the dr later...But why do I feel so bad about my parents having to take off???

Thank you for asking this. I was wondering, too. I have been very lucky and none of us have been sick, yet. (I've only really had kids since Sept.) I figured I would inform parents and close if my toddler really needed me. I don't charge the parents if one of my family members are sick and I have to close.