Daycare.com Forum

Daycare.com Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/index.php)
-   Daycare Center and Family Home Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Neighbor's Smoke Is In My House! (https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=88100)

Pestle 12-18-2017 05:17 PM

Neighbor's Smoke Is In My House!

Our next door neighbor smokes in his back yard. It hasn't been an issue while we're playing outside--I can smell it, but it hasn't been very strong--but over the last few days, his cigarette smoke has been filling our yard in the evenings and getting pulled into our house. The yard reeks; the attic smells like smoke; my kid's bedroom smells like smoke and I don't know if it's because of the air intake in the attic, or the extremely strong odor in the yard on the other side of her exterior door. It's so strong that another neighbor thought there was a fire somewhere and came looking around the houses the other night. I'm worried about the day care air quality.

Is this unusual or has this happened to anybody else?

e.j. 12-18-2017 07:53 PM

We don't have neighbors who live close enough for us to be impacted by cigarette smoke but my sil has moved several times because she's been bothered by neighbors' smoking. She's living in apartments and the smoke tends to get into her rooms through vents. I can't imagine having to deal with that problem, especially with kids involved. How is your relationship with this neighbor? Is there any way you could talk with him about the problem to see if there is something he'd be willing to do like maybe smoke on the other side of his house so the smoke wouldn't seep into yours?

Josiegirl 12-19-2017 03:52 AM

Yikes, that would be awful. I can't stand the smell of cigarette smoke. The neighbors smoke outside and I can usually tell when they're out. But we're far enough away I guess, that it's just whiffs.

I'm not sure how you'd tactfully bring it up but maybe you could use the excuse someone has asthma or something?

Is there such a thing as venting the smoke odors back out of the house? Either they smoke like chimneys or they must do it right outside your door. :confused:

Cat Herder 12-19-2017 04:44 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Is it possible there is a family crisis going on over there leading to chain smoking? Or high pressure weather keeping the smoke there? Sounds rough either way. Sorry you are dealing with that.

I know of commercial fans for rent or lease. :ouch:

lovemykidstoo 12-19-2017 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
Yikes, that would be awful. I can't stand the smell of cigarette smoke. The neighbors smoke outside and I can usually tell when they're out. But we're far enough away I guess, that it's just whiffs.

I'm not sure how you'd tactfully bring it up but maybe you could use the excuse someone has asthma or something?

Is there such a thing as venting the smoke odors back out of the house? Either they smoke like chimneys or they must do it right outside your door. :confused:

That's what I'm wondering, how much do they smoke? That must be alot for it to get in your bedrooms and attic holy cow.

LysesKids 12-19-2017 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by Pestle:
Our next door neighbor smokes in his back yard. It hasn't been an issue while we're playing outside--I can smell it, but it hasn't been very strong--but over the last few days, his cigarette smoke has been filling our yard in the evenings and getting pulled into our house. The yard reeks; the attic smells like smoke; my kid's bedroom smells like smoke and I don't know if it's because of the air intake in the attic, or the extremely strong odor in the yard on the other side of her exterior door. It's so strong that another neighbor thought there was a fire somewhere and came looking around the houses the other night. I'm worried about the day care air quality.

Is this unusual or has this happened to anybody else?

I had this issue when I lived I a duplex years ago... I ended up keeping windows closed & running AC or Heat more than normal. I love airing my house out... last year during the TN fires, I had to keep my babes inside for months because of air quality in East TN. Sucked big time considering how close some of the fires were.

Snowmom 12-19-2017 07:13 AM

Holy cripes.

If you don't think you can talk to them, then I'd invest in some really good air purifiers. Probably even the kind that attaches to your venting.

I would not be able to tolerate cigarette smell in my home. I feel so bad for you!

Blackcat31 12-19-2017 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
Is it possible there is a family crisis going on over there leading to chain smoking? Or high pressure weather keeping the smoke there? Sounds rough either way. Sorry you are dealing with that.

I know of commercial fans for rent or lease. :ouch:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm reading along with OP thinking the entire time "Oh my she needs one of those big industrial fans she can point right at the neighbor's yard!"

Then I keep scrolling along and see that someone else thinks the same way as I do.... :lol:

So I second getting a big fan! I'd even chip in $ if you agree to take pictures!

Cat Herder 12-19-2017 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I'd even chip in $ if you agree to take pictures!

:lol::lol: Me, too. likethis

Snowmom 12-19-2017 08:03 AM

I'd chip in $10 to see that.
$20 if you get his reaction on video. :lol:

daycarediva 12-19-2017 10:20 AM

That's awful. I can't stand that smell!

Is he approachable? Are your houses close/connected?

Ariana 12-19-2017 10:23 AM

I have two neighbours that smoke and when they are both outside polluting the air I am prone to saying things like “oooooh smells like someone is smoking, ugh so disgusting” EXTRA loud. I also notice that it is worse on days when there is very little wind and stagnant air. The air intake is definitely the culprit.

Our old neighbour was a metal and glass artist and the chemical smell was 10x worse so this is not nearly as bad. I had to tell her to let me know if we were outside and she needed to release her exhaust so I could get the kids inside quickly. She told me she would only do it in the evening when we were not outside. She was very nice!

Pestle 12-19-2017 11:36 AM

We've only spoken three or four times in the last couple of years--I think they keep odd hours (she's a doctor). We both own our single-family houses. Our gable vent is very close to their back fence, and he's smoking in the back yard. Our HVAC system is up there in our attic now (it was below the house when the fire happened).

A new weather front came through, so it probably did change the wind. Also: DH says it's cigars. I've had the worst sinus infection of my life for the last month and a half, so my sense of smell is completely out of whack and I can't identify most of the things I'm smelling.

e.j. 12-19-2017 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by Pestle:
We've only spoken three or four times in the last couple of years--I think they keep odd hours (she's a doctor). We both own our single-family houses. Our gable vent is very close to their back fence, and he's smoking in the back yard. Our HVAC system is up there in our attic now (it was below the house when the fire happened).

A new weather front came through, so it probably did change the wind. Also: DH says it's cigars. I've had the worst sinus infection of my life for the last month and a half, so my sense of smell is completely out of whack and I can't identify most of the things I'm smelling.

Ugh! As bad as cigarette smoke is, cigar smoke is so much worse! I'd have to consider moving if I were in your position. I don't envy you at all.