Daycare.com Forum
First ... 2 3 4 5 6  ... Last

Daycare.com Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parents and Guardians Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Operating an Unlicensed Daycare (https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39)

Unregistered 01-16-2010 09:31 AM

Wow

wow I just came on here to see what the requirements were for running an in home day care. amazing to see how hateful perfect strangers can be to each other... confused is this a informational site or a pi**ing match?

Unregistered 01-25-2010 01:53 PM

Childcare is just caring for children

Do not let the State scare you with their anger talk. As long as you love the children - spend quality time with them - thats all it matter. What can they throw you in jail for?. Oh you make MONEY!!? .. Seriously that's what this world is boiling down too - who makes the most money.. And reading topics before mine - unlicensed daycare is just as better as a licensed daycare?.. Yes I agree!!.

I watch the news every day & hear licensed daycares having their licensed revoke due to neglecting child(s) - physical abuse and so on. I'll tell you this - back in the 1970's before the law past that anyone oroviding care for more than two families are required to be licensed!. WELL watching the news everyday for number of years, I see more & more children being sexually,physically & emotionally abused in a licensed daycare. So in another words - back in the years before the law past to be licensed, children were better off in a private home daycare.Being a licensed daycare is STRESSFUL because they're so many strict regulations & the more money you make - the more taxes you have to pay back to the government!. And with a license certificate - the state can come to your home anytime they want & you are not allow to lock them out or you'll have your license revoked!.Being a license family home provider - you have to run the daycare the way the state wants you too.

I'm not talking about spanking a child because that is ABUSE!. I'm talking about semi-structure - close to running a preschool some what.Being licensed with the State - The State OWNS YOUR HOME & has access to your home anytime..So with the State being all over you and owning you - it does make it hard to be licensed & its not fair to the children to fear you,(that your nervous).As a mother myself to four beautiful children - a granddaughter, I do not have a record of being a child abuser. I have a CPR certificate in children and adult. I know how to raise children properly. So many, many family home licensed daycares are opening everyday & alot of those licensed daycares are getting their licensed revoked everydat!. Your better off running a private home daycare.

If you suspect your being investigated because your running a daycare - don't fear because your nothing comparing to those licensed daycares that are being shut down everyday!. My yard is protected with safe equipments & I have been running a private daycare for years.. Parents that have their children in my daycare prefer a unlicensed daycare anyways and refuse to talk to the state because they know they're out to look for trouble..I except checks to and have cashed them for years. What the State doesn't find - you'll be alright. Like I said - it's all money talk and bull**** walks. I mention above - I watch the news everyday,(read the newspaper where the Stare has revoked daycares and were cited into court where the Daycares have got their licensed back). YES the state HAS revoked daycares for wrong reasons and have lost and had to give the daycare providers their licensed back... Believe it or not, they're SO MANY,MANY in home daycares licensed with no High School dIploma.Any High School drop out can get licensed with the State to run a daycare. So again, your better off to be private!. Its less headaches to deal with the State owning your home & you!. I have had suspious vechiles watching me & cops coming to my house. Without a warrant, the cops have to leave. And being watch, I have just as much rights to have them leave.Its Stalking & against the law!. Without evidence and being a proud parent and a Daycare parent - thats all it matters. Your fine & I'm still running a private daycare in my home,(have been for years) & I love it!!.

Children have their freedom, especially during the summer vacation when school is out. But being licensed with the State - children have less freedom and have to have semi school all year around with no break!. Is that fair to the children?...My daycare children can not wait to come to my home & believe it or not, the kids actually kick their parents out.LOL They are happy- go lucky kids!...

MarinaVanessa 02-25-2010 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by Unregistered:
More children are hurt at licensed day care than at unlicensed day care.

I am not trying to argue with you but I would like to point out that there may be more REPORTED children hurt at licensed daycare's because of the fact that the provider is licensed. In CA when a child hurts himself we are required fill out accident reports and REPORT them to our licensor. How many unregistered providers and/or parent's are required to do that? And I am talking about any incidents as minor as bruisings. As a parent with a child in a licensed childcare home you well know that if you have any concerns all you have to do is make a phone call to the licensing board and immediately the provider will get a phone call or visit and become questioned and in most cases at least a small investigation started.

When un-licensed and you suspect child abuse or neglect you have to call CPS and that takes FOREVER to even get someone to go to the home. I know because I've done so. In many cases there is no longer proof of the abuse and so they can do nothing. Also when you are licensed you open your home to the licensing board and they can show up un-announced during your business hours to check on things. I think this is great. The best way to be caught doing bad things is when you think no one is looking. If you are un-licensed then no one can just show up to your home so there really isn't any way to tell if there is abuse going on or to catch it in time.

Also, everybody please keep in mind that regulations vary from state to state. Some states require you to be licensed others don't. Some that don't at least require you to register. I think that in the case of the original post Stephan you should first learn about your state's and county's regulation on operating a home daycare are. You can review your areas regulations right here on this site. Then ask yourself why it bothers you. Are the children in danger? Or are they just driving you crazy? If your concerns are genuinely for the well being of the children and your area requires you to be licensed, call the licensing office. If they just need to be registered find out who to call to report it. If neither is needed to care for those kids call CPS. And if it only bothers you because they're too loud, disrespectful, blocking your driveway, parking in your parking spot (street parking is fair game for all), hit your car (ask her for the parent's name and file a police report) or for any other reason other than they're in danger, Why not just walk over and talk to her to address your concerns? When my neoghbors have concerns and address them nicely I immediately talk to the parents (I have clauses in my contract about blocking driveways, noise etc.).

And for everyone else, before I get a blizzard of angry responses, please note that I am speaking of people in violation of their state's laws. Everyone is entitled to their opinions but I for one do not appreciate it when I follow all of states regulations and become licenced (In CA you are required) and others don't. Why should some get to pick and choose which laws they want to follow? But again, for all we know she can be following her states regulations and doesn't need to be licensed or registered.

Originally Posted by Chickenhauler:
IN HOME DAYCARES PAY LITTLE TO NO TAXES.... EVERYTHING is a tax write off-utilities, heat, water, power, garbage, mileage on the car, repairs and maintenance on the home, toys, apparatus, PETS, cleaning supplies, food, furniture, even the lawn mower and any repairs/supplies needed to run it.

Wow, where do I sign up for this?? Those are only tax deductible if they specifically have to do with your daycare and even then only on a time/space percentage. Meaning: You take how much time you take care of kids and the square footage you use in your home and that's the percent that you can use as a tax deductible. Still, it's nice to get up to 40% (sometimes more) tax deductions on everyday things.

Crystal 02-25-2010 12:26 PM

MarinaVannessa, thank you for your post. I agree 100%.

Unregistered 02-25-2010 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by Chickenhauler:
That's simple-find a doctor who doesn't have cranial-rectal insertion syndrome.

I live in florida and I have never found a doctor that will give your Child its shot before its Birthday. But here in florida they have 30 days to update the shot record and you have that after registering your child to get it to them sounds to me like the state is crazy!!!

AfterSchoolMom 02-25-2010 04:02 PM

Everyone keeps talking about how easy it is to get licensed, but the requirements in my area are long, time consuming, and yes, expensive. Also, I know for a fact (as I have a friend in our development who went through it) that I'd be required to install a fence around my property. I can't afford that and my HOA would not approve it without a fight. Licensing isn't required here and I choose not to do it.

Good for those of you who are licensed - I'm not saying it's a bad thing! What I object to is those who automatically assume that I provide substandard care, that I abuse children or am otherwise trying to hide something, or that I'm uneducated because I don't have a license.

I don't think this debate will ever be over! ;)

momofboys 02-25-2010 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by AfterSchoolMom:
Everyone keeps talking about how easy it is to get licensed, but the requirements in my area are long, time consuming, and yes, expensive. Also, I know for a fact (as I have a friend in our development who went through it) that I'd be required to install a fence around my property. I can't afford that and my HOA would not approve it without a fight. Licensing isn't required here and I choose not to do it.

Good for those of you who are licensed - I'm not saying it's a bad thing! What I object to is those who automatically assume that I provide substandard care, that I abuse children or am otherwise trying to hide something, or that I'm uneducated because I don't have a license.

I don't think this debate will ever be over! ;)

In total agreement with you! Yes, there are bad providers out there but I hate when people lump all unlicensed providers into this ball of "you are not a good provider b/c you are unlicensed". Simply not true! I have a 4 year college degree, my state does not require licensing & I chose not to become licensed b/c of the expense to do so & the fact that my state does not require it.

Chickenhauler 03-18-2010 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
Wow, where do I sign up for this?? Those are only tax deductible if they specifically have to do with your daycare and even then only on a time/space percentage. Meaning: You take how much time you take care of kids and the square footage you use in your home and that's the percent that you can use as a tax deductible. Still, it's nice to get up to 40% (sometimes more) tax deductions on everyday things.

You can sign up with any good CPA or tax professional.

The tax advantages of operating a home based business are tremendous, anyone who doesn't think so should prepare their taxes twice....once using the same income numbers and expenses under the rules for a home based business, and then re-figure the numbers as if you were an employee (same income, but no business related deductions).

Before you do, be sure you have your nitro pills close by if you have a heart condition.:eek:

Unregistered 04-05-2010 09:10 AM

unliensed daycare in AZ

how about in AZ?

Where can i go to report an unlicensed daycare and does the state of AZ care if a child is in an unlicensed daycare?

Michael 04-05-2010 12:24 PM

how about in AZ?

Where can i go to report an unlicensed daycare and does the state of AZ care if a child is in an unlicensed daycare?

https://app.azdhs.gov/ls/online_comp...Complaint.aspx

Unregistered 04-09-2010 12:33 PM

Child care provider ratio in an unlicened home setting

What is the child to care provider ratio in the state of missouri for and unlicenced provider???

Michael 04-09-2010 01:14 PM

Child to Care Provider Ratio in the State of Missouri

What is the child to care provider ratio in the state of missouri for and unlicenced provider???

Please see: https://www.daycare.com/missouri/

Unregistered 04-15-2010 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by mac60:
This statement is not true. Just because someone runs an unlicensed daycare, DOES NOT mean they are not following the safety guidelines. I am an unlicensed daycare and follow the guidelines of my state. Just because someone isn't licensed does not mean they do not operate a quality program. I am sure just as there are "bad" unlicensed providers, there are just as many "bad" licensed providers. In my opinion, it simply comes down to people not minding their own business.

i agree totally! when i was going to college for my bachelor's degree in early childhood development (which i now have) i worked at and my own children attended one of the so-called "best daycares" in town. i was disgusted by the place. they always operated at the maximum ratio and i mean ALWAYS. i had more education than my center's director!

i am preparing to start keeping children in my home and i will not be licensed. i can keep up to 4 children without a license - and that's what i'm going to do. just because i'm not a licensed daycare doesn't mean i'm not qualified - i'm licensed teacher, and have more experience/education than most licensed center operators. i like the idea of not being licensed because i can be more flexible. for example, i don't HAVE to take the kids outside just because it's 33 degrees out.

i may get licensed in the future after i see how this works out, but not having a license by no means you are not qualified.

Unregistered 04-27-2010 04:39 AM

Operating an Unlicensed Daycare

I don't know where you got your information from. But you have to be licensed in Massachusetts to take care of any amount of children. So if you only take one child, you need to be licensed. Even if there is no money exchange, you need to have a license. Please try to understand that when you have that license you are not only protecting those precious children but yourself and your valuble property. So do the right thing and get the license.

Unregistered 05-04-2010 03:22 PM

Thank You!!!

When would you say it becomes our business? How about when the parents parking for dropoff/pick-up block the area designated for MY vehicles or MY guests as they hang out and chat for twenty minutes every afternoon? How about when they actually block MY DRIVEWAY? How about when they hit MY CAR PARKED IN FRONT OF MY OWN HOME as they barrel out of the daycare's driveway? How about when a daycare parent parks in front on my home for well over an hour, blocking my garbage can and causing the weekly pick-up to skip collection at my home for the week?

Hmmm?

All happened.

Is it MY business then?

YOUR business should not interfere with me or my residence. If and when it does, then it becomes MY business.

These rules and regulations exist for a reason.

Oh, and btw, I happened to run a LICENSED home daycare for several years. So, yes, you better believe I will report anything not on the up-and-up.

I have some RUDE neighbors who are running an unlicensed daycare and they are constantly interfering with my parking situation and my other very nice neighbors' parking spaces. If they would like me to "mind my own business" then they should stop having their business interfere with my daily living. They should go out of their way to accommodate their neighbors. It just blows my mind that these particular people will not even respond to a nice smile and a "hello" or "good morning." I have no problem turning them in and will do so if I am continued to be pushed.

Unregistered 05-05-2010 02:26 PM

When would you say it becomes our business? How about when the parents parking for dropoff/pick-up block the area designated for MY vehicles or MY guests as they hang out and chat for twenty minutes every afternoon? How about when they actually block MY DRIVEWAY? How about when they hit MY CAR PARKED IN FRONT OF MY OWN HOME as they barrel out of the daycare's driveway? How about when a daycare parent parks in front on my home for well over an hour, blocking my garbage can and causing the weekly pick-up to skip collection at my home for the week?

Hmmm?

All happened.

Is it MY business then?

YOUR business should not interfere with me or my residence. If and when it does, then it becomes MY business.

These rules and regulations exist for a reason.

Oh, and btw, I happened to run a LICENSED home daycare for several years. So, yes, you better believe I will report anything not on the up-and-up.

why is that? because you are better than the rest of them?? because you were licensed? give me a break. ANYONE can get licensed. doesnt mean that you are better or know more. Not by a long shot.

Unregistered 05-12-2010 01:01 PM

unlicensed daycare--maybe my business?

I live in a townhouse community. Two doors down from me are people renting a small, 3 bedroom townhouse. The couple that seem to permanently live there have been heard having domestic arguments. I banged down the door one afternoon when I smelled smoke and heard fire alarms going off for 10 minutes to have the guy come to the door in a confused state--he either sleeps incredibly soundly or he was drunk or high. I hear the way she screams blue murder at her kids when they're just dorking around like kids do... moving slow, not coming inside when they're told, etc. But she seems to take it to the extreme and screams at them. The kids are little--all under 5. Today I watched an SUV load up 8 kids who had to all be under the age of 5. Given how quickly the kids were shoved into the car, I really have to doubt if they had car seats and seatbelts for them all. I'm worried for the kids and I'm concerned for my neighborhood. THe house has numerous cars coming and going from the house. The people come and go with radios blaring, then people get out and hang around their cars cackling and yacking on their cell phones for 10, 20, 30 mins at a time. THe rest of the neighborhood is a quiet, low key kind of place. I've personally witnessed realtors come in with potential renters/buyers while all of this is going on and I can only imagine what they're thinking. Hoopdy's out front, woman screaming borderline obscenities at their tiny children, 20-something year old fathers high as a kite. In this situation I'm wondering whether to report the place as a possible unlicensed day care--for the sake of those kids and the neighborhood.

jen 05-12-2010 08:06 PM

I live in a townhouse community. Two doors down from me are people renting a small, 3 bedroom townhouse. The couple that seem to permanently live there have been heard having domestic arguments. I banged down the door one afternoon when I smelled smoke and heard fire alarms going off for 10 minutes to have the guy come to the door in a confused state--he either sleeps incredibly soundly or he was drunk or high. I hear the way she screams blue murder at her kids when they're just dorking around like kids do... moving slow, not coming inside when they're told, etc. But she seems to take it to the extreme and screams at them. The kids are little--all under 5. Today I watched an SUV load up 8 kids who had to all be under the age of 5. Given how quickly the kids were shoved into the car, I really have to doubt if they had car seats and seatbelts for them all. I'm worried for the kids and I'm concerned for my neighborhood. THe house has numerous cars coming and going from the house. The people come and go with radios blaring, then people get out and hang around their cars cackling and yacking on their cell phones for 10, 20, 30 mins at a time. THe rest of the neighborhood is a quiet, low key kind of place. I've personally witnessed realtors come in with potential renters/buyers while all of this is going on and I can only imagine what they're thinking. Hoopdy's out front, woman screaming borderline obscenities at their tiny children, 20-something year old fathers high as a kite. In this situation I'm wondering whether to report the place as a possible unlicensed day care--for the sake of those kids and the neighborhood.

If you are EVER, EVER concerned about the safety of a child report.

HeatherB 05-14-2010 09:51 AM

ITA.. the best statement yet on here! I am also an unlicensed home care provider..however OHIO does not require u to be licensed.. I follw all the rules as one and claim taxes also.

Originally Posted by Smiles:
I felt I should add to this topic after reading the posts. I am currently an unlicensed home care provider. I owned a large center for 10 years that was licensed. Hard as I tried, my staff didn't always follow the rules when they thought no one was looking. Having a license DOES NOT mean that the rules are being followed. In fact, I think that unlicensed providers work harder to follow the rules because they have more to lose if they dont. If a licensed provider doesn't was his or her hands after a diaper change? They get written up, but they don't lose their business. If an unlicensed provider doesn't wash? It becomes a federal case and she is closed down.

I am unlicensed because I do not believe having a license makes you a good caregiver and I do not believe in the system. I have seen the people who work for the state first hand and I have seen the inconsistancy and lack of knowledge these people posess. I believe child care is between the parent and the provider. End of story. If a parent is happy, they will stay where they are. If they are unhappy, they will leave. Child abuse and neglect is a sad fact of life. But it will happen, license or not. Parents should take responsiblilty to ensure their children are safe. By putting their faith in a system that is outdated, underfunded and often run by people with no background in early childhood education parents have a false sense of trust. Parents visit the daycare everyday. How often does the state visit the center?

Just my 2 cents

Anna 06-07-2010 02:04 PM

IN HAWAII I don't understand why people don't get licensed. It is super easy here. Basically all you have to do is get background checked, FBI fingerprinted, Employee history checked, and have your house checked. you don't have to take any classes or anything. Also here you can only have two children unrelated to you. So if I were a parent I would be a little suspicious of my provider if she wasn't licensed. There are plenty of people who seem so friendly and nice and turn out to be complete lunatics behind closed doors. If I were a parent and was going to bring my children to an unlicensed childcare I would at least ask for a background check. I am in no way saying that any of you unlicensed childcare providers are in anyway lunatics or not fit to watch children.

Also, lets try to be a little civil. You are either a parent or a provider if you are on this forum which means you should be setting examples and acting like adults. There is no need to get immediately defensive and type aggressive things. We all know better than that. If our kids were fighting like some of you are, we would put them in a time out.

Unregistered 06-26-2010 10:17 PM

get real

Are the children at risk? If not, mind your own business.

What goes around comes around, it always comes back.

Then why should you care? You don't live next door, do you? You don't see what goes on, do you? There are plenty of unqualified people out there looking to make a fast buck who should not even be allowed to have custody of their own children. My opinion is that if you want to run a daycare, rent space in an approved building and stop disrupting your neighbors lives. I doubt they moved there figuring you'd be setting up a glorified babysitting service. Have some respect.

QualiTcare 06-26-2010 11:57 PM

Then why should you care? You don't live next door, do you? You don't see what goes on, do you? There are plenty of unqualified people out there looking to make a fast buck who should not even be allowed to have custody of their own children. My opinion is that if you want to run a daycare, rent space in an approved building and stop disrupting your neighbors lives. I doubt they moved there figuring you'd be setting up a glorified babysitting service. Have some respect.

well, there are some pretty insane people in the world. i have an old nosey neighbor that has NOTHING better to do than keep up with what everybody on our street is doing. i could see her reporting an "unlicensed daycare" even if it the person didn't require a license - just because she's nosey as hell.

this lady is actually my husband's cousin although she's much older than him. she used to come over and talk to me all the time when i was outside....until one DREADFUL day...my children (4 and 6) went to check the mailbox and being the children that they are - GASP! checked hers, too.....

the MINUTE my daughter came in and told me the postman accidentally put the neighbor's mail in our box (LIE!) i sent her to the neighbor's house to return it and apologize.

SHE HASN'T SPOKEN TO ME OR MY CHILDREN SINCE!!!

you'd think they had stolen a check and cashed it or something. if that had been me, i would've thought nothing about it. who CARES!! if things like that are the biggest worries you have in life, consider yourself LUCKY!

reminds me of a song...

If everybody minded their own business
They'd be too busy to worry 'bout mine

- joe nichols

mac60 06-27-2010 05:57 AM

Some people just thrive on being in other people's business. My neighbors Avon lady, who is probably in her 70's, asked me when I saw her at the grocery store how many children I cared for. It is NONE of her business, would I ask her HOW MUCH she makes per month on her Social Sercurity check, how much she makes selling Avon, no I wouldn't, rude and not my business. I gave her an answer, but decided after that moment, if someone ever ask me how many children I care for again, I will simply say "Not enough to pay the bills", because really, it is no ones business how much I make. Just like it is rude to ask another person how much they are paid at their job. I would never to that. Nosy nosy nosy.

Unregistered 06-28-2010 03:48 PM

have any of you minding your business ever

Been inside of this persons house and see how she lives? Everyone put's up a front for on lookers outside of the house, but do you know whats really going on inside the house. Shoutiing at the children, filth endangering the childs health, neglect by allowing the child to scream and suffer while the babysitter prefers to talk on the phone or do thier homework etc etc. Theres a lot of things that can be going on in that house that people don't know about. 85% of molested, rape victims were violated during thier childhood by a relative or someone they know like a babysitter. Do your research before you slander someone whos trying to do the right thing. That's the problem with the world today, PEOPLE WANT TO TURN THE HEADS TO DOING THE RIGHT THING INSTEAD OF DOING IT THE RIGHT WAY. IN AMERICA, YOU PAY TAXES TO HELP OUT THE NEEDY. IF YOUR TRYING NOT TO PAY TAXES, THEN YOU ARE TOO SELFISH TO EVER PROSPER IN LIFE.... KARMA IS REAL, NOT JUST HEARSAY!!!!

mac60 06-28-2010 06:36 PM

Huh??????????

jen 06-28-2010 07:37 PM

LOL! Someone needs a haldol!

Janet 06-29-2010 11:05 AM

Did someone stop taking their meds???

HOLY CRAP! Jen, I think that the unregistered person just may have forgotten it's haldol!!!

I really don't like it when people post insanity like that! It was the incoherent ramblings that I might expect to hear from someone who has lost touch with reality!

In any case, here in MI, you have to be licensed so I got licensed. I don't know that I necessarily would if I didn't have to. I don't think that not having a license means that you aren't capable of doing the job well. I don't think that people who decide not to get licensed are trying to not pay taxes. CHildren can suffer abuse at licensed daycares as well as unlicensed.

Unregistered 07-22-2010 10:20 AM

Running an unlicensed daycare does typically say "the type of care you do provide". If it is a state law that you MUST be licensed to run a daycare in your state, then you SHOULD be LICENSED. If you can break that law, what other laws could you be breaking??? It is not difficult to get daycare licensing. The law is there for a reason. It is to govern daycare providers so that they follow the rules and regulations for that business. The state has this law so that in case there is a problem with the care your child(ren) are receiving in a daycare, it can be handled. I myself, as a parent DO WANT A LICENSED DAYARE PROVIDER FOR MY CHILDREN. I am willing to pay the going rate or more for a licensed daycare provider just for the peace of mind of knowing that that provider and whoever is in her household that will be around my children have a complete criminal background check for the safety of my children. Why would anyone put their child's safety or life in someone else's hand without checking them out first. Being a licensed daycare provider, I at least know that the place has to be inspected for safety and that there will be random unnotified inspections that the provider will receive as well as having to go to classes to update her knowledge as being a daycare provider; such as CPR, First Aid, how to discipline, ect. And by the way, what reason would you not have as to getting licensed? Do you not want to claim your income at tax time? Wake up people, there alot of crazy nuts out there as it is, why would you even think about risking the safety of your child. I am not saying that all unlicensed daycare providers are this way but what is the downfall in NOT BEING LICENSED? Besides, being a licensed daycare provider will get you more business. When parents are looking for daycare they usually call the state licensing office for a list of providers in their area. And to be on the side of the licensed providers, I give them much credit for dealing with the crap that they have to go through in order to be a LIGITIMATE LICENSED DAYCARE PROVIDER. My neighbor is also a non-licensed daycare provider and it erks me to no end that she provides daycare to other peoples children when she neglects the 3 kids she has (ages 10, 6, ans 3). I can say this because she pawns her kids as well as her daycare kids off in my yard so that they can play with my children and I end up watching them so that they don't get hurt, while she sits on her A** all day with her husband (who doesn't work because he was fired for watching **** on the computer at his job). This is one of those reasons why I say GET A LICENSED DAYCARE PROVIDER so that everyone that is around your children can be checked out. Better to be safe then sorry. Your child only has 1 life!!! A caring mother in Laurel, Delaware.

I have worked in a licensed daycare facility and know that just because there is a background done on these workers dosent mean that they don't show up to the job stoned or even still drunk from the night before if at all. When they don't show up that leaves the facility short staffed and the teachers in class rooms of 20 two year olds by themselves(hows that for legal). Then the directors are praying that this is not the day that child protective services come in. I am now a mom who choose me as the provider. I am what is best for my children and will eat out less, shop less and make sacrifices to be with my kids. I am aware that not all parents can do this and I do watch a few kids part time to help those parents out. I love each and every one of those kids and have a great relationship with each of the parents. You as a parent should use your own intuition to decide whats right for your family and you shouldn't judge whats right for someone else's.

Unregistered 08-15-2010 02:32 PM

How do you know all of these things?

I'll tell what makes it my business.....i have to pay taxes on my earnings. This daycare providers income is hers!!!!!!!!!! She drives a new car (a charger). I guess it pays well. That along with all the welfare she qualifies for because her income is not reported.....yeah, it makes me mad as hell!!!!!!!!!!

Sounds like you are just envying the fact that your neighbor has a successful home business that allows her to be home and doing something she loves. I run an unlicensed home daycare with the hopes of opening a licensed daycare facility threw the church that my husband will be called to. My husband is in grad school and I work from home watching 3 children a week on top of the my own 2 children. I also have a new car although its not because my home daycare brings in a ton of money its because my husband and I are able to budget our spending and we spend wisely rather than wasting money on useless items. I report all of my income to taxes I have an EID number for taxes and use quickbooks to document all daycare income coming in how it is paid and who pays it. I report all of this! Maybe if you think she isn't reporting her information or if she is a horrible sitter you should contact someone that can check on her. Also if she isn't making that much money she doesn't have to report it to the government or to qualify for public aid. Maybe you should keep to your own business rather than jumping to conclusions about other people.

Unregistered 08-18-2010 11:24 AM

I find it funny how people have the time argue with someone on the internet and to assume they know the reason for wanting to know how to report an unlicensed day care. I really don't see why an unlicensed day care provider should be made out to be anything other one big excuse. The whole point to being licensed is to know our children are safe, sure you might be unlicensed and a great care provider but how do any of us know since we're all out at work while you watch our children. No surveyor is going to drop in on you to do a check to make sure you're following guidelines if they don't know about you. If someone wants to report an unlicensed provider they can, don't get so ticked off about it. After all they are following the rules unlike the provider.

heater7197 09-07-2010 11:27 PM

Reporting unlicensed providers

The idea that anyone who is unlicensed providing childcare should be "turned in" is ignorant. If someone is clearly violating the exempt childcare provider guidelines(taking more children on then is allowed with the ratio rules) then I can see it may be necessary to report. Here in NY a few things are true, if I have three of my own children I can watch an additional two children though only two of them can be under the age of 2 without being licensed; if I operate a preschool I do not have to be regulated in anyway(no licensing required in Ny state what so ever) scary but true, you cannot turn in a provider who is running a preschool simply for being unlicensed, the State does not regulate preschools in the same way they regulate daycare. You need to know your states rules before you go flying off the deep end about licenses. Many unlicensed providers provide excellent care. Many stay at home Moms are unlicensed providers not interested in jumping through the hoops to get a license mostly because it is a temporary position so they can stay at home with their children too. It is not (contrary to a few posters positions), some sneaky move to hide illegal wrongdoings. If you think a provider is violating rules that place the children in danger whether they are licensed or unlicensed should not make a difference you turn them in.

Unregistered 09-16-2010 07:39 AM

Unlicensed Daycare : Illinois

What are the consequences from operating an UNLICENSED daycare in IL? Is there a fine to pay? I am unlicensed and have run a home daycare for 3 1/2 years now. ALL the parents that I babysit for KNOW that I am unlicensed, it isn't something that I hide. And I claim ALL OF MY INCOME! I give them my SSN at the end of the year with a total of daycare paid. Everything is completely safe but I'm just not licensed. The process is going to require me to take time off AND find a daycare to put my own children in. I'm worried about being turned in for NOT being licensed.

I hate to put the parents out when they DON'T CARE if I'm licensed or not. They are going to have to make other arrangements while I take these classes.

Hello Fellow Illinoisan,
I am in the same boat, want to go from lic. exempt w/ 3 children to more children (the correct ages) and can't honestly afford to close my business for 6 months ? while I wait for licensing. If there is such a shortage of qualtiy dc in Il. then they should do a rush process for these cases where dc is being offered, so that families and myself are not put out.
Any tips or info is much appreciated

cdsnana 09-19-2010 02:25 PM

when people file false reports

Whether a person is registered or not doesn't mean you get better care. Was a registered provide and any tom dick or harry can file a report on you everyday and the state then makes you jump thru hoops just to try and keep your licenses. I understand believe me i have 5 grown kids of my own and we have to protect the next generation. But when you have your whole life and family put thru the mill and all allegations are unfound then you wonder why people don't what to go thru all the hassle of becoming license when your license does little to protect you. I have my credentials in FDC and CDA i go to every possible trainings I can to improve my daycare only to be slapped in the face after 6 yrs of having my own daycare I gave them my license the other day the registor is a nightmare i swear the job has gone to her head. I just feel sorry for all the people I help. I provided care days evenings and weekends and now who's going to do it, i was the only license facility in a 65 mile radius. But unfortunately when it starts hurting my family and other people I have no choice. Then they wonder why people aren't license

cpardue 09-27-2010 06:36 AM

Daycare

Originally Posted by Stephan:
My next door neighbor appears to be operating an unlicensed daycare in a residential area of our sub-division. I know that unlicensed daycare operations can be legal under certain Indiana law requirements. Can you tell me what the law says about operating an unlicensed daycare in a residential area in the state of Indiana. Thank you.

How do you know she's not licensed? Find out the facts first.

Unregistered 10-01-2010 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by unregistered:
people need to mind there business. If she is not bothering you, then why are you worried. Let that woman make her money. If she was abusing or neglecting the children, nobody would have anything to say. That's what is wrong with the world today, people report the wrong things.

i bet you would if in your neighborhood.

Unregistered 10-08-2010 09:15 AM

Parents due diligence

Unlicensed and licensed childcare facilities can be equally bad or appalling. I sent my son to a large licensed center one summer - it was great - and yanked him the next summer because of negligent medical care relating to an untreated asthma incident and a gash on his foot. I put him into a home daycare and she was great! She inspired to start my own; we both run clean, safe and comfortable home daycares for our kids. Our kids love us, and I am teaching my two who go into K next year to read and write, as I want them to be ahead. While WE are both licensed, I also know unlicensed providers in the area who offer programming, outings, and high levels of safety and comfort to their children. Licensing DOES NOT guarrantee a quality or safe program, just hopefully that the provider is not a pedophile and has not had TB. That's it. That's all you get in the end. A super clean home should be a red flag. A home covered in grime and smelling like cat urine should be a red flag. Happy kids in either case are great! Parents have a responsibility to their children to perform due diligence when researching childcare, and to look up any complaints and ask for references - and to know what questions to ask those references.

For the lady whose neighbor is allowing the parents to block her driveway and hit her car - that's not right. Report it as a hit and run. That's what it is. And it's illegal to block someone's driveway. It's just rude. But be careful also, you don't want to make an enemy (unless she is committing some sort of crime there then by all means, make an enemy).

Best of luck to you all.

Unregistered 10-16-2010 05:58 AM

No Water - No Electricity - No Septic 20 Children

There is an existing water runoff ditch down one side of my property and I don't want the children to wander over and fall in. It's pretty deep and it's part of the natural features of the property. I'm not allowed to fill it in, as the neighborhood storm water flows into it.

A mobile home recently set up on the property adjacent to my ditch. Septic tank installed, but no water so septic is not operational; nor electricity. About 20 children are being dropped off and picked up at this mobile home. The door remains open and adults and children are in and out of it. Monday through Friday. So far, I'm minding my own business because I unfortunately live in a drug dealing weapon wielding neighborhood.

I'll take my chances on a drive by shooting at my house; I just have to do something. Can't be healthy for the children at all!

Advice?

SilverSabre25 10-16-2010 02:48 PM

. A super clean home should be a red flag. A home covered in grime and smelling like cat urine should be a red flag.

I'm just wondering why on earth a super clean home should be a red flag? That seems like an odd statement to make.

Unregistered 11-02-2010 06:19 AM

daycare

I also have a neighbor that is not licensed. She is not a stable person. I don't think it is healthy for the children.

Unregistered 11-02-2010 06:52 PM

hello iam starting my day care unlicensed i moved from ny so i have to be licensed all over again i wanted to ask what is a reasonable rate for caring for a two year old an a three year old partime 3 days a week in my home in provide the food and snacks? .