Daycare.com Forum

Daycare.com Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/index.php)
-   Daycare Center and Family Home Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Was It Wrong Of Me To Ask?? (https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42232)

Angelwings36 02-22-2012 06:12 AM

Was It Wrong Of Me To Ask??

I have a dcf enrolled with me that will be done at the end of April 2012. Dcd is just finishing off law school in the city and then they are moving back home. Dcg 2 is literally using the full amount of my open and close times (7:30am - 5:15pm Monday - Thursday & 7:30am - 4:30pm Fridays). Dcd is done school on Tuesday April 17th, 2012 and then is just going to work on packing up the house. I asked Dcm this morning if dcd could please pick up dcg 2 at 4:00pm on Mondays and at 5:00pm Tuesday - Thursday as I don't have any children here other than her past 4pm on Mondays and past 5pm Tuesday - Thursday. Dcm did not seem impressed that I asked at all and said she would discuss this with dcd. As it sits this would shave 2.5 hours off of my hours at the end of the month. To be open just for this family I would be making $8.13 for these 2.5 hours. I really do not want to have to do it if dcd is not in school and is just packing his home! Was it wrong for me to ask? Should I just insist that these will be the times they will have to pick up on at the end of April instead of giving them the option since I know dcd is not in school anymore?

Thanks.

Cat Herder 02-22-2012 06:19 AM

It would depend on whether or not your contract said "during working hours, only" or you had contraced hours. YKWIM?

Here, I would not have asked. I have opening to closing hours. Fixed. So what they do when the child is here is none of my business as long as I have correct contact information. :o

It is hard to say if it was wrong without knowing the deal you had with the family.

Angelwings36 02-22-2012 06:22 AM

I run by contracted hours.

Lilbutterflie 02-22-2012 06:25 AM

I don't think I would have asked either. I don't think it would be fair of me to ask a parent to pick up their child earlier on certain days just because their child is the only one in my care at those times.

I also think you would probably have to make a new contract b/c you are the one asking them to change their hours. Perhaps you could offer them a $10 discount for signing the new contract and agreeing to the new times.

momofboys 02-22-2012 06:27 AM

You could say your contracted hours were based on when DCD was in school/based on his school hours but it does sort of sound like you are trying to get out of watching her extra although I do understand your dilemma. I don't think it was wrong to ask but I can see how the parents might be ticked. I for one think it is ridiculous for the parent to send the child the whole amount of time so they can pack - certainly they could manage to shave a few hours off & pick her up early those days.

Angelwings36 02-22-2012 06:29 AM

Considering it is only February 22nd, 2012 and the change over wouldn't be until April 17th, 2012 could I not just do a change of contract hours with notice? The other issue is Dcg gets really upset that she is the last one picked up everyday and on Monday's it's the worst. She typically whines for the full 1 hour and 15 minutes until Dcm or Dcd pick her up. Although I do the best to keep her entertained during this time she is just not happy with the fact that everyone else got to go home but her.

AfterSchoolMom 02-22-2012 06:29 AM

I think that as long as they're not paying for time that they're not using, it's totally fine, and perfectly reasonable.

familyschoolcare 02-22-2012 06:31 AM

while, I understand where you are coming form. From the parents point of view you are being lazy. They pay you for a service and unnless it is talked about in you contract (what they are doing during that time) they do not see any difference between Dad being at school or at home. Thney are still paying for the same service form thier point of view.

cheerfuldom 02-22-2012 06:33 AM

you should have written up a new contract to reflect the changes. They are paying for the full hours right now so no, I wouldn't have asked them to change it, especially not for just 6 or 8 weeks. But if you would rather change it or not have them at all, then yes, write up the new contract and let them know that this is what it has to be until April.

Cat Herder 02-22-2012 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by Angelwings36:
I run by contracted hours.

Ok, so my understanding with contract hours is that you'd have to type up a new contract and allow the consideration/signing time (1-2 weeks). :o

It gives them a chance to back out of the contract entirely so I am not sure the benefit would be worth the risk, IYKWIM? Can you afford to lose the child on/before the 17th if they say no?

I do understand the desire...believe me...I get the raw end often on working hours. :p My policy leaves me working open to close every day..all year, but that is all my target market will support. :o PLUS, I like the trade off of little to no policing. It is worth the extra hours, to me, for less stress in my life. Adult drama stresses me out more than an extra hour on the playground with kiddos... I know that about me...:lol::lol:

Country Kids 02-22-2012 06:41 AM

I wouldn't have asked. I have one that is here every day for at least 45 min-1 hour by themselves. I knew this going in, it long but its what was needed for childcare.

Personally, I would love if I had been able to have my little one in someones care while I packed. Its not like its going to last forever and believe me the faster they get backed the faster you will get that hour back with happy parents. I would have accomodated them for this short amount of time.

You have to think of it this way-do stores close early when its slow? No, they put their workers on doing some meaniling tasks that never get down when it busy. Been there, done that.

Angelwings36 02-22-2012 07:00 AM

I guess I should add as soon as their contract is up in the end of April 2012 my open and close hours will be:

Monday 7:30am - 4:00pm
Tuesday - Thursday 7:30am - 5:00pm
Friday 7:30am - 4:30pm

This request was only for the last week and a half that their daughter was with me.

emmajo 02-22-2012 09:35 AM

I would have asked, just like you did. He'll have the whole rest of each day to pack. You didn't demand the time, you asked. Seems to me that if you have a good rapport with the family they should be willing to accommodate your request. Hope it works out for you.

Angelwings36 02-22-2012 11:17 AM

Hey everyone,

Since I posted my thread on here after I had already asked for the earlier pick up times I will let you all know how it went.

Dcm emailed me this afternoon and agreed to the earlier pick up times! Yay for me! She said she realized that I had it in my contract that I could change my open and close hours at any time with notice and appreciated that I had asked them rather than just telling them that my hours were going to be changing.

Thanks for all your input.

daycare 02-22-2012 11:20 AM

Hey everyone,

Since I posted my thread on here after I had already asked for the earlier pick up times I will let you all know how it went.

Dcm emailed me this afternoon and agreed to the earlier pick up times! Yay for me! She said she realized that I had it in my contract that I could change my open and close hours at any time with notice and appreciated that I had asked them rather than just telling them that my hours were going to be changing.

glad that it went in your favor.... I looked at it like this.... The worst that could happen is for them to say no and you are stuck doing it for another week and half.

Glad that you will get to enjoy a little time to yourself and your family....

saved4always 02-22-2012 11:28 AM

Hey everyone,

Yay!!!! And, just for the record ;), I would have done just as you did and asked.

Crazy8 02-22-2012 12:18 PM

Hey everyone,

Glad it worked out. I probably wouldn't have asked now knowing it was only for a week or two in April. I may have asked at that time - like "hey I know you guys are home packing - any way you can pick up by 5 this week since DCG is here alone after that?"

wahmof3 02-22-2012 01:50 PM

YAY!!! happyface

Good for you!!!

I would've asked too :)