Daycare.com Forum

Daycare.com Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parents and Guardians Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Kindercare and Lack of Security (https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7381)

Unregistered 11-05-2008 07:00 AM

Kindercare and Lack of Security

Recently a hotel has been built next to the Kinder-care at Marshalee Drive.

Sex Offenders are not required to register when residing at hotels.

And there have been several robberies at the gas station adjacent to the day care.

As a result, several parents have voiced concern and requested security cams be placed at the entrance/exits to this building.

" active deterrent (people behave better under an objective watchful eye)
in the event there is an issue subjective descriptions are never accurate
reduces liablilties issues and thereby insurance rates. sex offenders do not have to register when staying at hotels major crimes across street past history at another kindercare of inadequate security leading to a child abduction "

This was initially met with positive results until it was handed off to corporate office in Oregon where they told parents it was against company policy, but would not produce proof of this policy.

The Knowledge Learning Corporation seems to have dug their heels in refusing to install or even expalin why they won't install them. As a note security cams only cost $1000.00 fully installed.

They are a very litigious corporation and we don't want them trying to sue the parents concerned. In fact they have already tried to look at options to "dis-enroll" the parents that have voiced concern.

Anybody have suggestions as to get them to move forward on this?

The daycare is a great facility--it is the corporate management that are faulty and need a dose of -----

Rosalee 11-05-2008 09:20 PM

Money talks--parents walk.

Me I would just call the attorney general's office for consumer affairs and have them audited for compliance. That will cost them money to show their books and no place is perfect. Keep it up and eventually they will give in or go broke trying to keep up. Meanwhile parents will want to know why county inspectors are there all the time. Perception is reality. They will lose parents and children and what seems most important to them. Money.

Unregistered 11-07-2008 12:27 PM

If the daycare is not required by the state to put up those cameras, then they don't have to!

Mr. Mom 11-08-2008 10:37 PM

Common Sense and Good Ethics

This is not a matter of if it's law but good ethics and common sense concerning the welfare of children. Seatbelts weren't always the law yet people knew they worked and helped prevent injury as well.

Unregistered 11-10-2008 09:46 AM

I understand what you are saying. But its not up to the daycare to "Police" the neighborhood either. If it is that much of a problem then i suggest that you switch to a daycare within a better neighborhood.

Mr. Mom 11-11-2008 08:07 AM

Too Much?

No it is up to them to police themselves. Times change and we must change with them. If there is an inexpensive way to protect children then we should ask for it. As a parent I understand their are certain limitations but for a facilty that generates over $1.5 million in fees a year I don't think $1000 is asking too much. And I am currently looking as well as other parents in our group.

Rosalee 11-19-2008 07:00 PM

Income

So what has happened lately? I see Kindercare is in lots of financial trouble including one of their own executives being fined several hundred thousand dollars as stated by the NY Times. You would think even if they are as callous as they sound that they would want to protect their income?

Unregistered 01-27-2009 06:04 PM

I work @ Kindercare in Ceder Knolls NJ. None of the teachers are happy.

They cut our hours, then tell the parents that we asked to go home. They do not give the kids a good lunch. I will never bring my baby there they tell the teachers to lie to parents.

Unregistered 01-28-2009 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by Unregistered:
They cut our hours, then tell the parents that we asked to go home. They do not give the kids a good lunch. I will never bring my baby there they tell the teachers to lie to parents.

If i were you i would refrane from listing names, it just my come back to bit you in the bumbum. Cause what you just said bout that daycare is called Slander and you can be sued!

Unregistered 04-16-2009 08:21 AM

Its only slander if it is not true!!! If there is proper evidance then it is not slander. I used the daycares name when I told everyone to stay away if you do not want your child abused. It is not slander there are multiple reports on file and we have pictures of teachers grabbing the children and lifting them off the ground. Check your law book on slander. Obviously you are a daycare provider!!!

sweetcinna 04-16-2009 04:43 PM

Its only slander if it is not true!!! If there is proper evidance then it is not slander. I used the daycares name when I told everyone to stay away if you do not want your child abused. It is not slander there are multiple reports on file and we have pictures of teachers grabbing the children and lifting them off the ground. Check your law book on slander. Obviously you are a daycare provider!!!

What does my being a daycare provider have to do with it? This is a Daycare board! ;)

bshla 04-16-2009 08:32 PM

If this is a florida child care facility you can find out everything you need to know about a child care center or home day care at www.myflorida.com/childcare

lilbiddapopcorn 04-17-2009 02:25 AM

I wish people wouldn't do this...

A lot of daycare providers are parents too. That was rude.

To the original post: If you don't feel like your child is safe, I would consider changing centers and if you still feel like you need to campaign for better security in kindercare for whatever reason (i.e. you want to go back in the future if they did get better security or if you feel obligated to the safety of the children still in the daycare) you can still continue making calls, signing petitions, contacting people in higher management positions through the kindercare corporation, whatever you feel you need to do. There's no need to keep your child in a place where you don't feel they're safe. Good luck whatever you decide to do.

jps123 06-22-2009 12:50 AM

Rudeness can go more than one direction. I think the provider was rude to call that Kindercare post "slander." As has been pointed out, slander is by definition untrue -- if it is a fact or cannot be disproven, you're going to have a hard time making a case for slander. You can even criticize the President in this country. And Kindercare is taking a lot of heat nowadays so I imagine they've got bigger fish to fry.

I appreciate getting the perspective of parents and providers when it is productive and respectfully offered, but I do notice a handful of providers on this forum seem to be pretty agressive and operate in defense mode at all times. Kind of makes me wonder what these few providers are so defensive about. Maybe sometimes parents do not understand how hard it is to care for their children and do not fully appreciate good child care providers. But please do not take your frustation out on all of us. Most of us are here because we are very concerned about our children and not because we want to find fault with providers.

Chickenhauler 06-23-2009 03:58 PM

Nothing ever posted on this site or any other for that matter, could be classified as slander.

Slander is spoken false accustion, libel is written.

I'm flabbergasted that someone would go through all the trouble to post a gripe on the internet about how they don't feel their child is safe at a particular providers location, yet they will continue to take their child there.:confused:

Best way to drive your and other parents points home is to leave en masse....if you feel they'll shortcut your childs safety on this one subject, do you think this will be the only time they will do this in the name of profits?

jps123 06-25-2009 09:28 AM

Amen, Chickenhauler! When in doubt, pull your kid out! As I have learned the hard way, a gut feeling can be a lot more accurate than all the research in the world.
The problem is I'm so protective of my daughter, sometimes it's hard to tell if I'm being crazy or instinctive. I wonder if other parents feel this way. My husband says I look for things to worry about. But I can't help it!
Another problem is that employers give a lot of lip service to how "family friendly" they are, but try telling most companies or bosses that you need three days off to find another day care solution. Even if they say ok, you are marked as having "day care issues" and for putting your family first. Well, my child is the only reason I'm putting up with their sorry butts in the first place! But that is for another forum...I'll go 'way now...