Daycare.com Forum

Daycare.com Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/index.php)
-   Daycare Center and Family Home Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Foods You Know They will Eat... (https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21218)

SunflowerMama 10-18-2010 11:27 AM

Foods You Know They will Eat...

All these food threads and my extreme desire to save $$ and stop wasting food lead me to ask this question. I did a search and found a few posts here and there but not too much.

What are the foods you know your dcks will eat? Here is my list so far. I'm just getting tired of trying to come up with new, healthy meals and then no one touches it. So I'm going to get some staples that I know they will eat, get the healthier versions of those foods and go from there. I'm just looking for some other sure fire meals that you've had success with.

Turkey Dogs
Tater Tots
Mac & Cheese
Quesadillas
Pepperoni Pizza
Cheese Pizza
Chicken Nuggets
Ham
Grilled Cheese
Strawberries
Grapes
Bananas
Honeydew
Watermelon
Applesauce
Corn
Green Beans
Yogurt

tmcp2001 10-18-2010 11:43 AM

That's a great list! All of my kids and dcks love:

string cheese
pb sandwiches (no allergies here)
vegetable soup and biscuits
apples w/peanut butter
"Breakfast for lunch" - scrambled eggs, toast, hashbrowns and fruit

I'd love to hear other ideas too!

countrymom 10-18-2010 11:46 AM

well because its monday, all they like is junk food.

momofsix 10-18-2010 12:29 PM

[u]MAIN DISH[/U
]Breakfast for lunch is the favorite-pancakes/waffles/french toast & sausage
chicken nuggets
fish sticks
mac-n-cheese
quesadilla's (bean&cheese)
grilled cheese
pizza they make themselves
fish sticks
jelly sandwiches
turkey meatballs
pasta w/ tomato sauce (they love bowtie the best!)
chicken and rice
turkey or chicken ( cooked leftovers)

FRUITS
applesauce
apples
pears
straawberries
blueberries
kiwi
manderin oranges
oranges
bananas
raisins
peaches
plums

VEGGIES
corn-esp on the cob (not really a veggie, i know)
broccoli
green beans
mashed potatos
sweet potatoes
carrots

KETCHUP
its own food group because my kids will eat almost anything if they can dip it it ketchup:lol:

tmcp2001 10-18-2010 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by momofsix:

KETCHUP
its own food group because my kids will eat almost anything if they can dip it it ketchup:lol:

HAHAHA!!! :lol::lol::lol: That's for sure! You could add ranch dressing to that "food group" here! Great ideas everyone!

SandeeAR 10-18-2010 02:24 PM

Didn't see Spaghetti O's. My 2 year old wouldn't know what to do without them. (the other 3 are babies)

melskids 10-18-2010 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by tmcp2001:
HAHAHA!!! :lol::lol::lol: That's for sure! You could add ranch dressing to that "food group" here! Great ideas everyone!

here its parmesan cheese. one dc boy wont eat anything unless he gets "shaky cheese" on it

Jewels 10-18-2010 06:03 PM

The one everyone of my dck's love is ground beef with a can of baked beans, I just cook the ground beef, and dump in a can of baked beans, and they love it, thats my most popular, that and turkey sloppy joes, healthy with turkey,
I do black bean quesadillas, I make them with red peppers black beans and onion, and I rip up spinach and add it in also, most of my kids eat this.
Salmon patties, most of my kids like this, and trader joes sells salmon and tuna with no sodium added, so I use that and its healthy
chicken nuggets obviously
I like the foster farms chicken corn dogs their my personal favorite
I do alot with honey, I do peanut butter and honey sandwiches, its so naturally sweet the kids love it, and honey is very nutritious, its a super food.
Steamed sweet potatoes with cinnamon sprinkled on top, are a hit here, and again healthy
I like just taking turkey or ham lunch meat, and serving that cold with steamed veggies, and a roll or piece of bread with a little butter and fruit.
Tuna noodle casserole

f.barboza82 10-19-2010 01:02 AM

Originally Posted by momofsix:
KETCHUP

That is hilarious because it's true! Sometimes I avoid giving them too much because it will get all over the new Copperfield Sofa Bed I bought. I always tell them that if they want to eat ketchup they need to be extra careful :)

DancingQueen 10-19-2010 03:09 AM

so I just went through all of the things everyone has listed in this thread and I can't see much of anything that all my kids will eat.

SunflowerMama 10-19-2010 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by Jewels:
I do black bean quesadillas, I make them with red peppers black beans and onion, and I rip up spinach and add it in also, most of my kids eat this.

I'm definitely going to try these with the peppers and onions!! My kids love black bean/cheese quesadillas so I'm sure they will like this version as well. Yummm!!

QualiTcare 10-19-2010 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by sbschildcare:
so I just went through all of the things everyone has listed in this thread and I can't see much of anything that all my kids will eat.

really? then what DO they eat?

DancingQueen 10-19-2010 06:28 AM

I don't have many kids right now
4 total (includes my dd)
I can get all of them to eat
chicken nuggets
and
mac and cheese

those are the only things everyone will eat.

so if I make quesadillas - (which 2 will eat but the other 2 won't touch) I make the sides something the others will eat.

an average week

chick nuggets, french fries, corn, pears
peanut butter & jelly sandwhiches, apples, yogurt
mac & cheese, peas, pears
grilled cheese, carrots, peaches
hot dogs, baked beans, appleasauce

Not one of those dishes will everyone eat all of those choices (except my dd)

Unregistered 10-19-2010 08:04 AM

Here is my weekly menu that starts over every week and they all eat everything but I do only have 2 dc kids and my own 3 but 2 of mine are in school except in the Summer

Breakfest-
Monday- Milk, waffles, strawberries
Tuesday- Milk, pancakes, sausage
Wednesday- Milk, french toast sticks, and apple sticks
Thurday- Milk, egg, toast
Friday- Milk, cereal, bannana

Lunch-
Monday- Milk, spaghetti, meatballs, mixed fruit
Tuesday- Milk, Mac n cheese, peas, pears
Wednesday- Milk, hot dogs, green beans, Diced peaches
Thursday- Milk, chicken nuggets, corn, mandrin oranges
Friday- Milk, diced ham, diced cheese, crackers, applesauce

Snack-
Monday- Applejuice, Goldfish crackers
Tuesday- Applejuice, Popcorn
Wednesday- Applejuice, Sugar free pudding cup
Thursday- Applejuice, Graham crackers
Friday- Applejuice,Sugar free popcycles

SandeeAR 10-19-2010 08:46 AM

My daughters are now both in their late 20's. All this talk of kids eating/not eating, made me think of what they ate growing up. I can remember for YEARS, every meal had mac and cheese, corn and green beans along with the meat. Both girls would eat mac and cheese, one would eat corn and the other green beans. If my DH And I wanted anything else, I cooked it for us.

My kids did have a lot of burgers, nuggets and fries too.

However, today, (and when they were younger) they are both healthy and happy. And both eat various types of veggies today.

Btw, unlike most of you on here with young children, my kids are grown and I am much older (50's).

laundryduchess@yahoo.com 10-19-2010 09:18 AM

My kids eat anything, but I get them at 6 weeks and they learn our eating style from then on. Wehave everything from sushi (cooked for the daycare children) to potroast.

DancingQueen 10-19-2010 09:20 AM

food program won't let me serve the same thing every day - or I would
Funny thing is.. when parents start packing their lunches in january - i bet it is the same lunch every day..LOL

SandeeAR 10-19-2010 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by sbschildcare:
food program won't let me serve the same thing every day - or I would
Funny thing is.. when parents start packing their lunches in january - i bet it is the same lunch every day..LOL

Yep, my youngest ate PBJ everyday at lunch for years!

tenderhearts 10-19-2010 09:29 AM

My dck's favorites with all of them is

HM tuna casserole
frito boats (frito or grain chips/topped with vegetarian chili and cheese)
Pizza subs
Mini Weiner wraps-( low-fat croissants, cut each triange in half, cut hot dog into 3's wrap hot dog in coissant with cheese bake.)

Ketchup is used here for everything too:lol::lol:

AfterSchoolMom 10-19-2010 10:13 AM

I had a DCK two years ago that was here three days per week. The parents packed lunch for him. EVERY day (because they told me he ate this at home too) he ate a package of crackers (6 in a package, but he'd only eat half) a single serving of peaches, and a yoohoo drink box. He wouldn't eat any snack at all except popcorn. I saw the Mom a while back and she says he's still eating this same thing every day. :eek:

tenderhearts 10-19-2010 10:55 AM

I had a 2 yr old dcb last year and his parents said all he would eat at home was chicken noodle soup. Within a few months I was able to get him to eat a few new things (I never serve chick noodle soup) but to this day she said that's about all he'll eat at home still oh and jerky:eek:

JJPlaycare 10-19-2010 10:56 AM

One thing that I didn't see on here that my kids love is TACOS/NACHOS! Another thing that my kids love here and has become a staple is Noodles and Peas! LOL Buttered noodles (I use Penne), mix in some peas and sprinkle with parmesan cheese, I serve meat on the side or sometimes add some ground hamburger right in with it! They love it!! They also enjoy Tator tot hotdish, I mix the veggies right in to it. They love spaghetti bake, in which I usually mix in cut up carrots and they don't even know they are in there and melt mozzerella cheese over and sprinkle with parmesan again I use Penne noodles! Less messy! :D I guess I don't have picky eaters compared to alot, I really only have 1 child I struggle with and he just turned one, his parents in fact just told me the other day that he WON'T drink milk at home anymore, only juice! :lol: Really he is 1, I told them to quit buying juice and only have milk as an option and see what happens! :rolleyes:! I just keep introducing and they eventually learn to eat it and like it!