Daycare.com Forum

Daycare.com Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/index.php)
-   Daycare Center and Family Home Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Independent Activities (https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=89352)

mamamanda 04-27-2018 08:39 AM

Independent Activities
 
So... independent activities that can be taken out one at a time, used on a mat, & put away when done... I'm thinking of a nature box, a music box, some sort of creative box...what other activities would be good for this with toddlers up through age 3? I'm wanting to introduce a calmer independent play time once a day.

Blackcat31 04-27-2018 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mamamanda (Post 673120)
So... independent activities that can be taken out one at a time, used on a mat, & put away when done... I'm thinking of a nature box, a music box, some sort of creative box...what other activities would be good for this with toddlers up through age 3? I'm wanting to introduce a calmer independent play time once a day.

I don't provide many independent activities for the under 3 crowd as their goal is socialization and positive peer interactions so I encourage them to not play alone...lol!

I do provide lots of independent activities for the 3+ crowd but most of things I have available for that age group are things like counting/sorting bags, lacing cards, science experiments, writing activities and small motor skill practice (scissors, gluing, tracing etc)

Sorry, I am not much help as most of the activities I have I wouldn't trust an under 3 kid to do independently.. :ouch: :p

mamamanda 04-27-2018 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackcat31 (Post 673124)
I don't provide many independent activities for the under 3 crowd as their goal is socialization and positive peer interactions so I encourage them to not play alone...lol!

I do provide lots of independent activities for the 3+ crowd but most of things I have available for that age group are things like counting/sorting bags, lacing cards, science experiments, writing activities and small motor skill practice (scissors, gluing, tracing etc)

Sorry, I am not much help as most of the activities I have I wouldn't trust an under 3 kid to do independently.. :ouch: :p

That's the problem I'm running into. It's hard to come up with stuff to hold their attention but age appropriate this young. Most of our day is free play style & they all play together. With the exception of our table activities which we do every morning, but again we all kind of work together & it lasts 30min to an hour depending on their interest level. Honestly I was picturing this as something they could do during pick up times to keep things nice & calm during that end of day transition. Or to pull out randomly for the 2 yo who gets frustrated with others in his space all the time. :ouch:

Blackcat31 04-27-2018 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mamamanda (Post 673149)
That's the problem I'm running into. It's hard to come up with stuff to hold their attention but age appropriate this young. Most of our day is free play style & they all play together. With the exception of our table activities which we do every morning, but again we all kind of work together & it lasts 30min to an hour depending on their interest level. Honestly I was picturing this as something they could do during pick up times to keep things nice & calm during that end of day transition. Or to pull out randomly for the 2 yo who gets frustrated with others in his space all the time. :ouch:

For the 2 yr old, I would just make sure you have a space where anyone wanting some alone time can go sit and take a break from "public"....let him (and anyone who needs to) use the space when they need it. Recognizing the need for a break is a good way to start focusing on independence which in turn leads to being capable of independent activities.

As for activities prior to pick up, you can provide independent activities within a group...

Book time
Drawing/coloring
Block play

You can give each child the materials he/she needs but when it's time for them to leave, they put away only the materials they used while the other kids continue to participate without disruption. :)

mamamanda 04-27-2018 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackcat31 (Post 673157)
For the 2 yr old, I would just make sure you have a space where anyone wanting some alone time can go sit and take a break from "public"....let him (and anyone who needs to) use the space when they need it. Recognizing the need for a break is a good way to start focusing on independence which in turn leads to being capable of independent activities.

As for activities prior to pick up, you can provide independent activities within a group...

Book time
Drawing/coloring
Block play

You can give each child the materials he/she needs but when it's time for them to leave, they put away only the materials they used while the other kids continue to participate without disruption. :)

Great ideas! Thank you!


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:18 AM.