Daycare.com Forum

Daycare.com Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/index.php)
-   Daycare Center and Family Home Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Reminders? (https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=70573)

CraftyMom 04-28-2014 07:24 PM

Reminders?

Do you send reminders that you have a day off?

I feel like I shouldn't have to remind adults. I give them a schedule at the beginning of the year and ask them to mark their calendars.

Since January 2 parents have needed new schedules because they misplaced them

I have tomorrow off for a court date and I didn't remind them, curious to see what happens

NoMoreJuice! 04-28-2014 07:26 PM

Oh yeah, my parents all need reminders! I give them 30 days, then 1 week, then 1 day before. They will probably show up at your house, let us know! ;)

CraftyMom 04-28-2014 07:32 PM

I'm expecting at least one to show up! I used to do the same, schedule in January, then 30 day reminder then week before then day before. I was told I over did it with reminders, that they are adults and don't need reminding. So I stopped. When I stopped no one remembered! Can't win!

I did remind them 2 weeks ago, just not the day before, so we'll see!

cheerfuldom 04-28-2014 08:36 PM

I give a calendar within my parent contract. I email each family once a month with an update on the months reminder. I also remind the day before. I have only had one child show up here one time I was closed.....had to send home with grandma.

Laurel 04-29-2014 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by CraftyMom:
Do you send reminders that you have a day off?

I feel like I shouldn't have to remind adults. I give them a schedule at the beginning of the year and ask them to mark their calendars.

Since January 2 parents have needed new schedules because they misplaced them

I have tomorrow off for a court date and I didn't remind them, curious to see what happens

Sure, they're busy people too. We all forget sometimes. I remind them when I know and then a week before and then the day before.

Laurel

coolconfidentme 04-29-2014 05:27 AM

I was on vacation last week & FOUR parents tried to give me their schedules for the week. Monday morning at 6am/3am vacation time, a parent text me & asked me to answer the door. I ignored it but she called. I answered, very sleepy & said, "Who is this, It's in the middle of the night & I'm on vacation?" She apologized. True story.

All parents had reminder notifications on checkinkids for the whole week before hand. The moral to the story is, you can tell them all you want. It's up to them the listen.

Second Home 04-29-2014 05:37 AM

I give out my schedule for 4 months at a time , so 3x a year . But I still remind my dcp the beginning of the week .

Kimskiddos 04-29-2014 06:12 AM

I post reminders in my monthly newsletter (usually in 2 places) and sometimes send home a written reminder about a week out. But usually I just verbally remind them a couple of days before.

Guess I've been lucky and never had one show up on a day I was closed.

Kabob 04-29-2014 06:43 AM

Yep I remind them a month in advance and then before they go home the last day before I'm closed I say "See you on _____!" If I forgot to say that though it's not my fault they didn't read or listen to me the month before...but I do try to remind as much as possible even if it annoys them just because it would annoy me more to have someone ringing my doorbell on my day off....

jenn 04-29-2014 07:04 AM

I agree that you shouldn't HAVE to remind them, but I do. We all forget things.
As soon as I know of a day that I am taking off, I send them all a facebook message. A few weeks before the day off, I hand it to them in writing. A few days before the day off, I will mention it at pick up time.

melilley 04-29-2014 08:04 AM

I remind them, I'm a forgetful person so I know how it is....lol
I give parents a list of my scheduled days off in January. I also have a website and I have them listed there as well. I also either remind them either verbally a few days before or post a note on my door.
I used to do monthly newsletters but they took forever to make and I suspect only one or two of my parents actually read them so I stopped making them.

CraftyMom 04-29-2014 03:16 PM

No one showed up this morning, but one mom texted at 9:30 (8:30 drop off) to check if I was closed

daycare 04-29-2014 03:25 PM

I post every monthly calendar by our log book with days off high lighted in one color and another color for field trips.

I still have had parents call me and say where are you I am here and YOU are not.

Ummm I gave you notice the first of the year, a take home calendar, an email reminder the month of and a calendar that is posted next to where to sign in daily. Yeah I did not answer. I let them figure it out on their own....

I feel that parents rely on us too much to be their caretakers too.

They are going to be in shock when they get to formal schooling and find out there are NO reminders

CraftyMom 04-29-2014 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by daycare:
I post every monthly calendar by our log book with days off high lighted in one color and another color for field trips.

I still have had parents call me and say where are you I am here and YOU are not.

Ummm I gave you notice the first of the year, a take home calendar, an email reminder the month of and a calendar that is posted next to where to sign in daily. Yeah I did not answer. I let them figure it out on their own....

I feel that parents rely on us too much to be their caretakers too.

They are going to be in shock when they get to formal schooling and find out there are NO reminders

That's an idea, a monthly calendar on the bulletin board. No one reads my bulletin board now though :lol:

daycare 04-29-2014 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by CraftyMom:
That's an idea, a monthly calendar on the bulletin board. No one reads my bulletin board now though :lol:

I have a neon chalk board with awesome markers. out of 18 parents only 1 didn't read it so I guess I should say that it does work.

i bought it all at hobby lobby...the chalk pens were stupid money but worth it to me!!!

nothingwithoutjoy 04-29-2014 05:41 PM

My families are all on a yahoogroups email list. I put all events on the calendar there, with a two-weeks-before and a 2-days-before reminder (it sends automatic emails at those times.) I also write daily emails, so I'll say "have a great week; see you when I get back!" or some such.

daycare 04-29-2014 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by nothingwithoutjoy:
My families are all on a yahoogroups email list. I put all events on the calendar there, with a two-weeks-before and a 2-days-before reminder (it sends automatic emails at those times.) I also write daily emails, so I'll say "have a great week; see you when I get back!" or some such.

on top of the calendars that we make the first of each month and take home I do a weekly email that I send out sunday night reminding parents of the weeks events.

I am pretty sure only about half of the parents ready the email or the calendar. it sucks

nothingwithoutjoy 04-29-2014 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by daycare:
I am pretty sure only about half of the parents ready the email or the calendar. it sucks

Yeah, I liked the suggestion I read on another post where someone put a $5 coupon in a newsletter to see who reads and who doesn't!

daycare 04-29-2014 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by nothingwithoutjoy:
Yeah, I liked the suggestion I read on another post where someone put a $5 coupon in a newsletter to see who reads and who doesn't!

hahah thats super funny....I think that is MV..

I keep things short sweet and simple and I don't know why parents cant just take 30 seconds to read something...........I even used to google calendar so that it synced with everyone phone, but that was way too much work for me....

mountainside13 04-29-2014 07:37 PM

I post it on my front door so they see it every morning and every pick up. :lol: