Daycare.com Forum

Daycare.com Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parents and Guardians Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Am I Over Reacting? (https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17925)

Unregistered 08-24-2010 04:09 PM

Am I Over Reacting?

Today i picked my kid up from day care, after being called and told he was very sleepy, wouldn't stop crying, and had a slight fever.

When i go into his room, they have him laying in the corner, with a very thick blanket over his entire body. I didn't realize he was laying there until i uncovered his head. Are they to cover a 21month old body completely? And the fact that he had a fever, worried me.

Also when i got him to the car, i realized his eyes were very red and swollen. Also he stunk very badly of baby sunscreen. I rushed him to the Dr right away. My son had sun screen in his eyes, the Dr had to flush and flush his eyes out. They are still very red all around. Not so much swollen anymore. But they didn't even mention to me about his eyes. I was just told he was very very tired.

Should i file a complaint on this day care?

Or am i over reacting?

mac60 08-25-2010 05:12 AM

Was he using his blanket to soothe himself, very common of children of that age here. I have little ones of the similar age the frequently pull their blankets up and use it to soothe themselves. As far as sunscreen in the eyes, if the child was not feeling well, and continued to rub his eyes because of that, I could easily see how sunscreen could get into his his eyes from his hands/face and with him crying. The center called you when they realized he was feverish and not feeling well, I think they did what they should of.

DanceMom 08-25-2010 06:11 AM

As a parent I can understand why you are upset but as a daycare provider now I can understand how all of it happened. As the above poster said all of my kids here have a special blanket of their own that they take naps with or curl up with when we have a movie day. If I had a sick child here waiting for their parents to come, I would probably also lay the child away from the other children with their blanket. It being over his head, he could have easily pulled it up over his head himself - did you ask the provider any questions about that situation ? Communication is key - it could have easily been explained and you wouldnt be at home frustrated.

Also, agree with the above poster - Children rub their eyes all the time - esp when they are tired and/or sick. Sunscreen could have easily been on the childs hands and gotten into his eyes. I would also talk to the provider and ask about that situation.

Always communicate with your provider !!! I would not file a complaint.

Crystal 08-25-2010 07:25 AM

I would discuss this with the provider. I'd ask the provider how he got sunscreen in his eyes.....let her know that the doctor had to really flush them and it seemed like an awful lot....did he get ahold of a tube of sunscreen an play with it? Get an explanation. Then go with your gut.

Regardless of HOW the sunscreen got into your child's eyes, which probably WAS from rubbing, it should have been noticed that his eyes were bothering him. AND, he should not have had sunscreen on his hands......he should not be self-applying, and hands should be washed after application.

But, at least they put sunscreen on him. :rolleyes:

Jewels 08-25-2010 10:13 AM

At 21 months I would also think he pulled the blanket up himself, And they probably layed him down because of the fever, Now he was probably crying alot from the sunscreen in his eyes............a few weeks ago my 18 month old, we were outside, and she fell and started crying, And then she was rubbing her eyes, and then she just kept screaming and crying and crying, I was trying to soothe her and hold her, And her eyes were so red, and she kept rubbing them, I thought she was not feeling good, and was exhausted, she was so tired I could just see it in her eyes, I called her mom, it was near the end of the day, and told her she was just crying and crying, The dad got there a little early, But by then she had calmed down, but her eyes were still red, And then all of the sudden it just dawned on me, and I was like "oh god, she rubbed sunscreen in her eyes" It was just something I never thought of, But when she cried from falling and then rubbed her eyes, the sunscreen got wet and rubbed right into them, Its was like an hour before I figured it out, I honestly thought she was exhausted. It was the first time I'd had that happen, so i never thought about it. So maybe they thought his eyes were so red, from being really tired and not feeling well.
I also agree you have to communicate your concerns, or ask questions, Your his mom and if you have questions dont feel bad for asking them.