Daycare.com Forum

Daycare.com Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/index.php)
-   Daycare Center and Family Home Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Strange Rash That Quickly Disappears? (https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=76129)

daycarekay 02-13-2015 07:53 AM

Strange Rash That Quickly Disappears?

1 Attachment(s)
I'm mostly a lurker but I'm really concerned about a rash going through my toddler room. My director (I'm at a center) thinks it is strange and has been sending pictures to the parents, but no children are being sent home or to the doctor and it seems like it is spreading. We originally thought it was some sort of food allergy, but I don't agree because it wouldn't be happening to 4 kids and counting. The rash looks like a mosquito bite, sometimes small and sometimes pretty large. They appear and then disappear after 15-20 minutes, appearing again in a different spot. They can also look like raised scratches, almost how you would expect a cat scratch to look. They occur everywhere, but mostly on the hands, lower arms, and face. Google tells me it could be some kind of virus, but none of the kids have been sent to the doctor so who knows.

My phone will only let me upload one picture. This is one of the larger hives. Sometimes they are small and round, sometimes large and blotchy. They are always white and raised and surrounded by red, irritated looking skin. They don't seem to bother the kids.

I just wondered if anyone has any experience with anything like this? None of us have seen anything like it before.

Shell 02-13-2015 08:19 AM

Could it be a bite? Notice any bugs around? Otherwise, idk?!

laundrymom 02-13-2015 10:35 AM

Is it JUST your small group?
It kind of looks like a scrape. Like a fingernail scrape. Or from sticking hand into a container of sorts.

(Edited to add: at least on my tiny phone screen)

melilley 02-13-2015 10:52 AM

My first thought is hives, since they are present and then go away. It's just strange that multiple children have/had them.

e.j. 02-13-2015 10:54 AM

I have no idea what it is but why aren't the kids who have this rash being sent home? Anytime I have a child with an undiagnosed rash, they're sent home with a recommendation to see their dr. I won't allow them back into care until the rash is either gone or I have a diagnosis from the dr. stating it's not contagious. I can't understand why your director wouldn't call the parents to pick up their kids, especially since it appears to be contagious and spreading. :confused:

safechner 02-13-2015 11:07 AM

That is Hives! My son had hives about two months ago, I freaked out. It was appeared then disappeared in a different places every 15-20 mins. I researched about this and I found out that my son ate berries (graduates yogurt) that I gave it to him and it happened about 20 mins later. It will go away within 2-3 days that you dont have to worry about it. It is an allergic reaction. It can causes hives from berries, fish, starfish, and one more thing that I cant remember. My doctor said it would be best thing to stay away from berries. I believe that my son could be having an allergic reaction to raspberry because he does eat strawberry and blueberry just fine.

Hope it helps!

momofsix 02-13-2015 11:45 AM

It does look and act like hives-that was my first guess-except for the fact that it's spreading among the other kids. Hives from an allergy won't do that. Hives can also be a symptom of a virus-the kids should be checked out by a Dr.

KiddieCahoots 02-13-2015 12:31 PM

That's what I'm thinking...hives. Maybe from some new addition to the classroom?

I've seen kids with similar hives from flea bites.

Unregistered 02-13-2015 01:54 PM

Hives can also be caused by a virus.
Hives have a tendency to appear where the body is warm, such as when a child lays one one side, that side will be warmer. They often go away temporarily with dyphenhydramine (benadryl) but that should be when under parental care. Providers should never administer this without written permission.