Daycare.com Forum

Daycare.com Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/index.php)
-   Daycare Center and Family Home Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Working As An Assistant In A Day Care Center (NYC) What Are The Requirements? (https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=87528)

LJLS 10-11-2017 09:29 AM

Working As An Assistant In A Day Care Center (NYC) What Are The Requirements?

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum! I currently work for a Family Group Daycare (Part-Time) in NYC and looking for a Full Time position at another Daycare. I noticed there are a few Day Care Centers near my home (Queens) and I was wondering what are the states requirements for a Assistant position? I've been told that a CDA or College Credits are required but it's not clear if that applies only to the Owner? I only have a Health & Safety Cert, but plan to continue my studies and hopefully open my own Day care in a few years (when we buy a house). Also - If anyone has leads on hiring a awesome assistant in NYC/Queens, please let me know! Thanks and have a great day!

daycarediva 10-11-2017 10:24 AM

The same as your home daycare requirements. Background check, fingerprinting, classes.

Also depends on the centers requirements.

Do you have first aid/cpr? CDA?

ColorfulSunburst 10-13-2017 01:55 PM

Hi

Your requirements to start working are 18 yrs of age and clean background record. Finger print check, etc... The owner or operator of any DC can provide the documentation to you once they accept you. On your application to the Dept of Health, it will ask for experience in caring for children. If you have no experience, you can substitute course work, like your health & safety and other courses. Baby sitting and caring for siblings or relatives count as experience. Personally, you need nothing else to start working. Once you start working, you will have 6 months to complete 15 hours of training and must then complete another 15 hours within two years. Your provider or operator can direct you on completing these requirements as well. No CDA, First aide or CPR, college, or High School diploma required for you. if you will care for children alone, then you must have CPR & First Aide certs, but this technically is the owners problem, not yours since you should technically not be alone.

good luck

LJLS 10-24-2017 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by daycarediva:
The same as your home daycare requirements. Background check, fingerprinting, classes. Also depends on the centers requirements.
Do you have first aid/cpr? CDA?

Hi DaycareDiva, Yes, First Aid and CPR, but no CDA. I'm just trying to understand if there are any requirements for CDA to work at a Day Care "Center". Thank you

LJLS 10-24-2017 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by ColorfulSunburst:
Hi

Your requirements to start working are 18 yrs of age and clean background record. Finger print check, etc... The owner or operator of any DC can provide the documentation to you once they accept you. On your application to the Dept of Health, it will ask for experience in caring for children. If you have no experience, you can substitute course work, like your health & safety and other courses. Baby sitting and caring for siblings or relatives count as experience. Personally, you need nothing else to start working. Once you start working, you will have 6 months to complete 15 hours of training and must then complete another 15 hours within two years. Your provider or operator can direct you on completing these requirements as well. No CDA, First aide or CPR, college, or High School diploma required for you. if you will care for children alone, then you must have CPR & First Aide certs, but this technically is the owners problem, not yours since you should technically not be alone.

good luck

Thank you - So you're saying that both Centers and In-Home Family Daycare share the same regulated requirements posted above? If so this is great news because I can try to apply to work at a Center.