Daycare.com Forum

Daycare.com Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/index.php)
-   Daycare Center and Family Home Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   MN Providers - Question About Licensing Stuff (https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56103)

MNMum 12-04-2012 11:46 AM

MN Providers - Question About Licensing Stuff

I'll call my licensor, too, but I figured one of you lovely providers would know the answer to this.

I have a C1 license now (1 provider - 10 total, 8 under SA, 3 below 2, 2 below 1). I am expecting a baby in July so I am getting another person on my license. That way I do not have to worry about exceeding the 30 absent days for use of a substitute. Also, I plan to use her 2-3 mornings regularly, and want the ability to get errands done, etc. I had planned on keeping that license as to not have to worry about needing 2 people there all the time. However, I have another interested toddler, which would put me above capacity for one month during my maternity leave. I would be fine if I upgraded to the C3 license (2 adults, 14 total, 10 under SA, 4 below 2, 3 below 1). It's really only an issue two days per week.

My question is, if I go with the C3 license, at what point do I only need 1 adult present? When the numbers are at the C1 expectations?

mema 12-04-2012 11:53 AM

I think it would be when you either fit the c-2 or under category.

Blackcat31 12-04-2012 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by MNMum:
I'll call my licensor, too, but I figured one of you lovely providers would know the answer to this.

I have a C1 license now (1 provider - 10 total, 8 under SA, 3 below 2, 2 below 1). I am expecting a baby in July so I am getting another person on my license. That way I do not have to worry about exceeding the 30 absent days for use of a substitute. Also, I plan to use her 2-3 mornings regularly, and want the ability to get errands done, etc. I had planned on keeping that license as to not have to worry about needing 2 people there all the time. However, I have another interested toddler, which would put me above capacity for one month during my maternity leave. I would be fine if I upgraded to the C3 license (2 adults, 14 total, 10 under SA, 4 below 2, 3 below 1). It's really only an issue two days per week.

My question is, if I go with the C3 license, at what point do I only need 1 adult present? When the numbers are at the C1 expectations?

Any time you have more than 3 kids under age 2 yrs old, you HAVE to have a second adult.

C1 gives you max 3 under age 2 (2 max infants..5 preschool...2 SA)
C2 gives you max 2 under age 2 (1 infant/1 toddler..8 preschoolers..2 SA)
C3 - 2 adults... gives you max 4 under age 2 (3 max infants....6 preschoolers...4 SA)
C3 1 adult and 1 helper gives you max 2 under age 2 (1 max infant....8 preschoolers...4 SA)

Does that help? I always have such a hard time with the ratios so I have a little chart with stick figures all drawn out so I can see it, rather than read it. :ouch:

mema 12-04-2012 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Any time you have more than 3 kids under age 2 yrs old, you HAVE to have a second adult.

C1 gives you max 3 under age 2 (2 max infants..5 preschool...2 SA)
C2 gives you max 2 under age 2 (1 infant/1 toddler..8 preschoolers..2 SA)
C3 - 2 adults... gives you max 4 under age 2 (3 max infants....6 preschoolers...4 SA)
C3 1 adult and 1 helper gives you max 2 under age 2 (1 max infant....8 preschoolers...4 SA)

Does that help? I always have such a hard time with the ratios so I have a little chart with stick figures all drawn out so I can see it, rather than read it. :ouch:

Are you sure on that? Because isn't a c-1 with 3 under 2 with no more than 2 infant? I dropped down to a c-1 because I had a 22 month, 5 month and 3 month and was told I didn't need a second adult.

mema 12-04-2012 11:59 AM

Ok. Wait. Sorry. Must be the chocolate craving that I'm not giving into:D, you said more than 3 not more than 2:cool:

MNMum 12-04-2012 12:07 PM

If I obtain the C3 license,

then I only need that second adult present when I exceed the numbers in the C1 license?

Blackcat31 12-04-2012 12:10 PM

Here I scanned the stick figure chart I have. It's two sided.

Sorry if it is hard to read, but I laminated it so it doesn't scan that great. :ouch:

I have another copy that isn't laminated so if I find that I will scan and save as a PDF and post it.

mema 12-04-2012 12:11 PM

When the numbers exceed a c-2. More than 12 kids, more than 2 under 2.

When the numbers exceed a c-1. More than 10 kids, more than 3 under 2.

What ages are you looking to be having? Maybe that would be easier. Write out the days and what ages.

MNMum 12-04-2012 12:20 PM

What I had planned to do during my maternity leave, is have my assistant take over for 6 weeks. She will be a co-provider and on my license. I would also be around, but not running the daycare. Since I'm there with my infant this is what the ages would be:

My newborn
9 mos
21 mos (T & Th)
2 yrs
2.5 yrs
2.5 yrs
3 yrs(mine)
6 yrs(mine)
10 yrs(mine)

I'm looking at starting a toddler who would be 23 months old when I have my baby. Thus, putting me over in the toddler area for a month. If I upgraded to the C3, this would be fine. But I don't want to have to be around all the time. If I left the house with my infant, that would put it back under the C1 ratios, I just wasn't sure if that is how it worked? Do I have to have 2 adults there all the time, because I have the C3 license. kwim?

mema 12-04-2012 12:24 PM

No you don't have to just because your license says c-3. If you are at the capacity of a c-1, then only 1 needs to be present. I have a c-2 and I run under a c-1 right now, but will go back to a c-2 later. When I had a c-3, there were days that we both were not needed because we weren't at that capacity, so someone got a day off:)

MNMum 12-04-2012 12:31 PM

Perfect, that's what I needed to know!

Blackcat31 12-04-2012 12:36 PM

I am licensed as a C-3 but operate as a C-1 or C-2 depending on attendance for the day.

Glad you got it worked out! :)

Another possibility is requesting a variance since your need for something different will be short term so that would work too.

DCMom 12-04-2012 12:40 PM

That is a great chart for visualization, Blackcat!

I have a C3 but during the school year I only need a second adult on M-W-F and school off days. I have two college girls who rotate the days. I have a full time person in the summer.

I almost never have 4 under two or more than 2 infants. I keep the C3 for the summer sibling spots mainly.

Unregistered 12-04-2012 05:13 PM

your lucky!

Originally Posted by MNMum:

I have a C1 license now (1 provider - 10 total, 8 under SA, 3 below 2, 2 below 1).

I wish my state did this! In CA with a small family we can only have a total of 8 kids with one adult (6 under SA, no more than 3 under 2); but with a large family liscense we can still have up to 12- 14 if 2 are SAC and no more than 3 or 4 under 2.