Daycare.com Forum

Daycare.com Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/index.php)
-   Daycare Center and Family Home Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Closing but Not Sure On Timing (https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=80744)

kristinhomedaycare 11-30-2015 06:46 PM

Closing but Not Sure On Timing
 
So I decided to close my daycare and I've been interviewing. I have just went through 3 interviews with one company for a high level position and have my 4th tomorrow. I also have my second interview with a different company on Monday. I feel these are both super promising but you never know I could get neither of them. I was going to wait until I had something for sure and ask the employers to let me give a 30 day notice to families (all of the families I'm very close to). However, it seems both seemed like 30 days may be more than they can do and I said I was negotiable. So I drafted a letter letting the families know I am looking but have not found anything so I can hopefully do what is right by them by letting them know even though I'm terrified they will leave early. I was just about to decide to wait to send the letter until after Monday (after the next set of interviews to see if both jobs still felt positive). However, I had the letter on my screen and a mom walked over and set her tuition check on my keyboard. The letter was plain as day and she made a face that showed me I'm pretty sure like 99% sure that she read part of it. Should I send right now since she knows or wait at least until my interview is over tomorrow since I don't want to have the stress of confronting parents affect my performance tomorrow. Or should I just ignore that she saw it since she didn't say anything and send it after Monday if everything still looks promising?

childcaremom 12-01-2015 02:26 AM

Well....

I wouldn't do anything until I knew for sure that I had a job. Too many variables and who knows what might happen.

What does your contract say? How much notice are you required to give? That's all the notice I would give.

If you tell them that you are looking, chances are they are going to start looking for new care and will pull as soon as they find it. What if you don't get the job? Then you are going to lose the 2 families that you like.

Just some thoughts. Good luck with the interviews!

Unregistered 12-01-2015 06:26 AM

what should I do about the family who saw the letter?
 
Should I just ignore the fact that she saw the closing letter? Wait for her to bring it up?

Baby Beluga 12-01-2015 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 567104)
Should I just ignore the fact that she saw the closing letter? Wait for her to bring it up?

I would.

rosieteddy 12-01-2015 07:37 AM

Just ignore that she saw the letter.If she asks then I wouldn't lie,but I would only give the notice in your contract.At the end of the day they will do whats best for their family.I would give two weeks and expect that they will to.Any more time and you will end up with less kids .Good luck with your job hunt.

Blackcat31 12-01-2015 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 567104)
Should I just ignore the fact that she saw the closing letter? Wait for her to bring it up?

One of the things I always tell parents is that I do not know if they have an issue or concern unless they tell me.

Because of that, I would not assume DCM saw/read or knows anything. It may have been a quick glance but no actual comprehension or it could be she is a swift reader and understood the whole thing...who knows, but until she mentioned something about it herself to you, I wouldn't do anything differently.

As far as closing timeline, I'd giver parents as much notice as you can financially afford to give. If you can't afford for them to leave early, then don't say anything until two weeks prior.

I know you said you are close to your families and I understand that but your families also agreed to the terms of your contract....both notice for withdrawal on their part and on yours so whatever your contract says is what I would go with for notice. :)


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:02 PM.