Daycare.com Forum

Daycare.com Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/index.php)
-   Daycare Center and Family Home Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Training Surprise! (https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43151)

Heidi 03-13-2012 04:56 PM

Training Surprise!

I signed up for training with our local provider's group, and didn't realize what it was. "ages and stages" -I thought it would be the same old stuff about developmentally appropriate practice. Well, it's not!

They are training us to do developmental screenings! The same ones used by headstart professionals, doctors, and various other organizations. They are training us to do these with our dc kids because apparently it is felt that too many children are not being screened (and thereby referred) before age 3.

I am not entirely sure how I feel about this! On the one hand, I am flattered that they "trust" us with this (with training of course), on the other hand, with childcare wages in our area being so low, it seems a little presumptious of them. We get about $100-$110 per week per child, and can have 8 if they are all over 2-under 2 takes up 2 spaces). Even 5-star programs that have subsidized kids don't get much more in the rural counties.

Oh, and that's another subject. The centers get more money AND enrollment based pay from subsidy than the family provider. The city providers get more hourly money than rural providers (from anyone).

If I am a 4 star and a center is a 4 star, shouldn't we get the same amount of $ from subsidy? The star program is mandatory for anyone who takes subsidized kids.... :confused::confused:

MrsB 03-13-2012 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by bbo:
I signed up for training with our local provider's group, and didn't realize what it was. "ages and stages" -I thought it would be the same old stuff about developmentally appropriate practice. Well, it's not!

They are training us to do developmental screenings! The same ones used by headstart professionals, doctors, and various other organizations. They are training us to do these with our dc kids because apparently it is felt that too many children are not being screened (and thereby referred) before age 3.

I am not entirely sure how I feel about this! On the one hand, I am flattered that they "trust" us with this (with training of course), on the other hand, with childcare wages in our area being so low, it seems a little presumptious of them. We get about $100-$110 per week per child, and can have 8 if they are all over 2-under 2 takes up 2 spaces). Even 5-star programs that have subsidized kids don't get much more in the rural counties.

Oh, and that's another subject. The centers get more money AND enrollment based pay from subsidy than the family provider. The city providers get more hourly money than rural providers (from anyone).

If I am a 4 star and a center is a 4 star, shouldn't we get the same amount of $ from subsidy? The star program is mandatory for anyone who takes subsidized kids.... :confused::confused:

I can totally see your point. In a perfect world it would be great to be trained in this so kids are getting screened for services earlier. But we all know there is no perfect world. This is a very interesting topic and one that I have been discussing (in my own head) recently. :eek: I know I probably need to be commited now!

Here are my concerns...

1. So after your trained, does this mean your required to report potential delays? Are you going to be held responsible if a delay gets missed?
2. How are parents going to take their daycare provider telling them they have been screened and may have a delay? Do you then have a responsibility that the parent follows up with a doctor or therapist?

I have a few experiences where I voiced a concern regarding developemental milestones and parents dont want to hear this from their daycare provider! If a parent asks me I will provide a checklist of milestones that they can do all the time, sometimes, or never to share with their doctor.

I also have noticed when parents do voice a concern regarding a developmental milestone to their doctors, they are often dismissed as we will check on it next year or next appointment.

In my case my own DD had a significant gross motor skill delay. Every dr appointment from age 4 months until she was 11 months old, I was told we will check on it next appointment. Finally, at 11 months I made a special appointment to see the doctor, I went in their bawling explaining that I have done childcare for over 12 years, and I know what all the developemental milestones are something is wrong with my baby girl! He said, I think she will probably be fine and eventually catch up but I will send a referral to your local infants and toddlers program. They came out and did an evaluation and she did qualify for services! Her PT heard my story and was really outraged. Who knows how long it would have continued, without me demanding for the referral.

Same thing, one of my DCGs is always walking on her tip-toes. Her mom knows that toe-walking can be a sign of issues along with her daughters other sensory/texture issues. Mom has been bringing it up with dr since she stared walking (10 mos). Dr has said we will re-evaluate at next appointment. DCG just had her 3 yr appointment last week. Dr said, well it seems to be getting better. Bring her back in six months and we will see if it is continuing to improve.

So frustrating... are we now supposed to be correcting the doctors? Am I now as a provider supposed to argue with the parents that your doctor is wrong, you need to get a second opinion?

I think it is great they want to educate us providers on so many things. But at what point is society going to stop putting on daycare providers the responsibility that should be the parents...or doctors. Whether it be referring for developmental delays, getting children kindy ready, making sure they receive healthy meals, etc

You are right! I certainly dont make what doctors do!

Heidi 03-13-2012 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by MrsB:
I can totally see your point. In a perfect world it would be great to be trained in this so kids are getting screened for services earlier. But we all know there is no perfect world. This is a very interesting topic and one that I have been discussing (in my own head) recently. :eek: I know I probably need to be commited now!

Here are my concerns...

1. So after your trained, does this mean your required to report potential delays? Are you going to be held responsible if a delay gets missed?
2. How are parents going to take their daycare provider telling them they have been screened and may have a delay? Do you then have a responsibility that the parent follows up with a doctor or therapist?

I have a few experiences where I voiced a concern regarding developemental milestones and parents dont want to hear this from their daycare provider! If a parent asks me I will provide a checklist of milestones that they can do all the time, sometimes, or never to share with their doctor.

I also have noticed when parents do voice a concern regarding a developmental milestone to their doctors, they are often dismissed as we will check on it next year or next appointment.

In my case my own DD had a significant gross motor skill delay. Every dr appointment from age 4 months until she was 11 months old, I was told we will check on it next appointment. Finally, at 11 months I made a special appointment to see the doctor, I went in their bawling explaining that I have done childcare for over 12 years, and I know what all the developemental milestones are something is wrong with my baby girl! He said, I think she will probably be fine and eventually catch up but I will send a referral to your local infants and toddlers program. They came out and did an evaluation and she did qualify for services! Her PT heard my story and was really outraged. Who knows how long it would have continued, without me demanding for the referral.

Same thing, one of my DCGs is always walking on her tip-toes. Her mom knows that toe-walking can be a sign of issues along with her daughters other sensory/texture issues. Mom has been bringing it up with dr since she stared walking (10 mos). Dr has said we will re-evaluate at next appointment. DCG just had her 3 yr appointment last week. Dr said, well it seems to be getting better. Bring her back in six months and we will see if it is continuing to improve.

So frustrating... are we now supposed to be correcting the doctors? Am I now as a provider supposed to argue with the parents that your doctor is wrong, you need to get a second opinion?

I think it is great they want to educate us providers on so many things. But at what point is society going to stop putting on daycare providers the responsibility that should be the parents...or doctors. Whether it be referring for developmental delays, getting children kindy ready, making sure they receive healthy meals, etc

You are right! I certainly dont make what doctors do!

Ok...so I typed up a long answer, and my computer locked up and I lost it...arg

Basically, the PARENT does the questionare, we score it, meet with the parent, show them the results, and recommend calling________ if there is an indication of delay. They are done at 2m, 6m,12m,18m, 2y, 3, 4 & 5. In theory, they can take the report to their doctor and show them the scoring, or take it to birth-3 and show it to them.

One thing I like is that in the questions, the parent options are "usually", "sometimes" or "not yet", or something like that (don't have it in front of me). so it's less likely to freak anyone out. The parent's don't get the score sheet, just the question sheet.

The trainer suggested we make it part of our "orientation" process with new parents so that they are used to it, and take it in stride when we do follow-ups at the intervals above.

and no, at this point, they are not mentioning any kind of mandated reporting on this.

Hunni Bee 03-13-2012 08:33 PM

Ok...so I typed up a long answer, and my computer locked up and I lost it...arg

Basically, the PARENT does the questionare, we score it, meet with the parent, show them the results, and recommend calling________ if there is an indication of delay. They are done at 2m, 6m,12m,18m, 2y, 3, 4 & 5. In theory, they can take the report to their doctor and show them the scoring, or take it to birth-3 and show it to them.

One thing I like is that in the questions, the parent options are "usually", "sometimes" or "not yet", or something like that (don't have it in front of me). so it's less likely to freak anyone out. The parent's don't get the score sheet, just the question sheet.

The trainer suggested we make it part of our "orientation" process with new parents so that they are used to it, and take it in stride when we do follow-ups at the intervals above.

and no, at this point, they are not mentioning any kind of mandated reporting on this.

Its the ASQ? I have that. Thanks for reminding me, its time for me to do it for this year...

I did it last year...I agree with the principle, but I didn't see where it worked all that well. It's done by the parent, and kids I KNEW were behind were still marked as being on track or above. All I could do is score it.

For example, it asked something like "Can your child tell you his/her full name and age?" and the parent could mark "usually, not yet, etc.". A child who I knew didn't always RESPOND to their name were marked as "usually". I guess it's as unassuming as it can be, but it still encourages parents to try and get a "perfect score" rather than be honest about their child's abilities, kwim?

I still think it's helpful though, it does get the parent to focus on their child's development specifically.

MrsB 03-13-2012 09:20 PM

Oh okay, the parent fills it out! Maybe that would be less responsibility on the provider then. Sounds like alot more work with no more extra pay! I dont know about you but during the "Orientation" process, I am more focused on making sure they have to pay on time, stressing the importance of not being late, and that this is a HEALTHY daycare! :D

Originally Posted by Hunni Bee:
Its the ASQ? I have that. Thanks for reminding me, its time for me to do it for this year...

I did it last year...I agree with the principle, but I didn't see where it worked all that well. It's done by the parent, and kids I KNEW were behind were still marked as being on track or above. All I could do is score it.

For example, it asked something like "Can your child tell you his/her full name and age?" and the parent could mark "usually, not yet, etc.". A child who I knew didn't always RESPOND to their name were marked as "usually". I guess it's as unassuming as it can be, but it still encourages parents to try and get a "perfect score" rather than be honest about their child's abilities, kwim?

I still think it's helpful though, it does get the parent to focus on their child's development specifically.

The ASQ is what I use too, but the observer one, not the parent questionaire.

I agree where it wouldn't always work so well. The scores may not reflect a totally objective observation. I can guarantee about half of my parents would forget to return it, unless of course I put it in my contract that was mandatory and attached fees or termination. :lol: Some of my parents aren't really down with having "conferences" with me and dont do extra. Which is fine with me as long as they abide by the rules.:D I am picturing one mom in my head now, and can almost be certain her response would be "I already fill out the same one at the doctor". Other parents of mine I dont think would take the time to actually do the task. For example: Can your child stack at least one block on top of another? If the experiment is not acutally carried out it may lead to guessing. Mom/Dad's thought "well child loves to play with blocks, I am sure he does that" so marks always. KWIM?

melskids 03-14-2012 03:03 AM

I have the ASQ as well.

I use it more for myself. I answer the questions based on what I see here. It is just another tool to help me when planning activities and meeting the needs of the children. (I also use the Creatvie Curriculum...and prefer that)

I do share the results with my families, and offer suggestions if I feel its needed.

nannyde 03-14-2012 04:59 AM

I would offer it as an alacarte item available to parents. Charge 20 dollars or something like that to do it. Have parents sign in your contract/policies that you have offered to do this at the ages they have them available and that it is the parents obligation to request the evaluation and to pay the fee in advance. Tell them copies will be made available for them to take to their well child screening or early childhood interventionist.

Blackcat31 03-14-2012 07:12 AM

I use a combination of tools and provide the parent with an assessment every six months.

Observing and recording is really very simple and most of us probably already do it without realizing it (If you document things on a regular basis).

I have used High Scope, Ounce and Creative Curriculum methods.

Like Mel said, observing and assessing is vital to planning activities and routines since the kids' individual developmental levels dictate what they can and cannot do as well as what they need to be working on.

Heidi 03-14-2012 08:05 AM

Yes, it is ASQ.

I was out of daycare for 10 years, and apparently, time moved along without me! :lol: You all know things that NO one knew 10 years ago, even us "high quality" providers! :ouch:

MrsB 03-14-2012 10:10 AM

I have noticed alot of ordered curriculums are starting to come with these type of evaluations.