Daycare.com Forum

Daycare.com Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/index.php)
-   Daycare Center and Family Home Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   I need advice!!! (https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8310)

Unregistered 04-15-2009 02:29 PM

I need advice!!!

I just got a job at a daycare. The school is brand new and just opened. My son is in the 2 year old class, but he will be 3 in 6 weeks. He came home on Monday and told me that he didn't like his teacher because she screamed at him. I asked him what she screamed and he said "Lay Down!". He also told me that she pulled his arm like this...and showed me. I am really concerned. He has never said anything about anyone before. This teacher has never had any child care expierence before. She has a 4 year old son who probably would be kicked out for behavior if she didn't work there. She treats him absolutely horrible in front of people at the daycare, so I can only imagine what she does at home.

Well, I told my Director what my son had told me. She said she would look in to it. Well today she did. She went down to the teachers classroom and was in there for about 20 minutes. Shouldn't all of this be documented???? I believe that she has already talked to her one time about yelling at the kids and I don't think that was documented because she told me she talked to her over the weekend. I think that the teacher should have been pulled into the office and told how serious all of this is!! Am I overreacting????

Unregistered 04-15-2009 07:50 PM

Your not over reacting! i use to work for a daycare and this happened to my child. The directors at centers back theyre teachers up 100% in most centers especially nobel learning centers. DCFS might help you with this situation, but from my experience you need evidence to even get any investigation going. Sorry to hear your situation i know how you feel!

lilbiddapopcorn 04-16-2009 02:58 AM

I don't think so

I don't think you're overreacting at all. This is your child and you have the right to follow up with your report to the director and if you feel nothing's being done after you follow up, you have the right to file a complaint with the licensing bureau. But please make sure you have the whole, correct story before you get too worked up. For now, I would comfort your child- Let him know you believe him, you're not mad at him, and that you're going to take care of it. The only thing I would caution against is acting shocked in front of him (even though you probably were quite shocked.) In my experience, once kids get a reaction like that out of you, they like it, and they'll start embellishing to get that reaction out of you again. I don't think that's your situation right now, just a word of advice. If it were my child, I would definitely follow up with the director, ask her if these situations are being documented, and if not I would both mention to her that you feel it's important to document these kinds of incidents and I would also start documenting it myself - just in case. I would also either take my child out of that daycare, or I would at least ask that my child be moved rooms or that that particular teacher not be the one caring for my child. You should always feel like your child is safe while you're away - no parent should ever have to feel otherwise. Hope that helps.

mac60 04-23-2009 04:32 AM

So the teacher told your almost 3 yr old son to "lay down". So what. Maybe he should start listening. If you believe that he is old enough to "tell" you these things and that they are true, then he should be "old enough" to listen and follow simple directions. Just because your son said she yelled, doesn't necessarily mean she did. Did you or another adult hear it?

Why is it that parents feel the need to coddle their childen, can't you all see this is why the young children of today are nothing but brats and disrespectful children. I see it over and over in my daily daycare days, and everytime I am in a public setting....disrectful kids and brats. Parents need to take charge of their children and teach them to behave, be respectful, listening skills, etc. In the past years, since parents have this attitute that you can't "discipline" your children because it may make them feel bad, or whatever crazy reason they come up with, the children of today are turning out horribly.

There is probably a lot more to the story than your almost 3 yr old told, let the director handle it.

Unregistered 04-23-2009 03:02 PM

I am sorry mac60 but I do discipline my child, but I also believe that there is a more positive way to do it. I very rarely yell at my kids. My kids are very well behaved...we teach them morals, rules and manners. I think I have a right to be concerned considering she tells her son to shut up, among other things, right in front of employees. Our director and other teachers have noticed the way she talks to the kids.

I understand she may not have done these things, but what kind of parent would I be if I ignored it...I am glad my child is not in your care!!!